PDA

View Full Version : Strange sensation in left side of my face

GirlAfraid23
27-02-14, 16:35
So I woke up today with a strange feeling in the left side of my face...a kind of numbness, heavy feeling...I do suffer from a cracking jaw when I eat...people in the room can hear it from the other side of the room sometimes.
I also have a slight headache and feel very tired. I haven't been sleeping well lately and have been under a lot of stress...last night before I went to sleep I had excessive "brain chatter" and kept panicking that I was turning schizophrenic.

Of course I'm worried I am having a stroke or about to have one...or some kind of brain abscess/tumour or whatever.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be?
I've recently been taking some new antibiotics for a water infection too...

The weird numb feeling is still present...

Serenity1990
27-02-14, 16:56
Do you still have full control of your facial muscles? I.e. Can you still raise your eyebrows, puff cheeks out, etc? If so, you're fine. If not get it checked out, but you're probably still fine.

I get this a lot; in fact it's something that mimicked a stroke that kicked off my anxiety. Honestly though, I think you're fine.

GirlAfraid23
27-02-14, 16:58
Do you still have full control of your facial muscles? I.e. Can you still raise your eyebrows, puff cheeks out, etc? If so, you're fine. If not get it checked out, but you're probably still fine.

I get this a lot; in fact it's something that mimicked a stroke that kicked off my anxiety. Honestly though, I think you're fine.

I can still do all of those things yes...what could it possibly be though?

LunaLiuna
27-02-14, 17:04
The clicking jaw is a strong indicator that this could be a TMJ problem. Do you also clench and grind your teeth? you could be doing it whilst you sleep as well by the way.

rebeccad
27-02-14, 17:31
How many people reading this have just raised their eyebrows and puffed out their cheeks ? I have lol joking apart I get this from time to time and although feels numb I have full feeling , I always thought it was a trapped nerve or something x

Fishmanpa
27-02-14, 19:03
Hey GA,

Based on some previous posts, it's obvious you're under a lot of stress at the moment. As suggested, possibly TMJ and good 'ol anxiety has got a hold of you pretty good right now. Once you get past this and/or find a way to cope with what's going on, I'm sure the symptoms you're experiencing will calm down.

Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 19:43
This is my problem at the moment anxiety really got me ,face but mainly head gets numb had it for weeks still cant shift it can move face fine no real pain any where just stings in my head numbness tightness its a pain in the behind TMJ coming in bad, Don't think to much about it try think about something else as it does get hold of you like fishmanpa said.
Speak to your doctor if you get to worried would be good idea help you ease your mind.
Distractions is the key stops me gritting my teeth :)

GirlAfraid23
27-02-14, 21:21
Hey GA,

Based on some previous posts, it's obvious you're under a lot of stress at the moment. As suggested, possibly TMJ and good 'ol anxiety has got a hold of you pretty good right now. Once you get past this and/or find a way to cope with what's going on, I'm sure the symptoms you're experiencing will calm down.

Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

This sounds about right...but I've never had this sensation before and it's very strange to say the least. Why would the TMJ only be showing these symptoms now?
I'm panicking it's the antibiotics and I'm having a reaction :(

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

This is my problem at the moment anxiety really got me ,face but mainly head gets numb had it for weeks still cant shift it can move face fine no real pain any where just stings in my head numbness tightness its a pain in the behind TMJ coming in bad, Don't think to much about it try think about something else as it does get hold of you like fishmanpa said.
Speak to your doctor if you get to worried would be good idea help you ease your mind.
Distractions is the key stops me gritting my teeth :)

I want to go to my doctor but I don't want to sound insane. Maybe I'll get an appointment tomorrow.

Serenity1990
27-02-14, 21:37
Is it a throbbing headache you have?

GirlAfraid23
27-02-14, 21:44
Is it a throbbing headache you have?

No not really why?

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 21:48
Sound insane? No you wont, don't worry about that they should be understanding and helpful your perfectly normal.
It makes me feel better i tell all my symptoms to my doctor i feel a lot better after getting it of my chest :)

Althea
27-02-14, 21:53
Why would the TMJ only be showing these symptoms now?

Everything that starts has to start sometime, doesn't it? Nothing special about now.

In general, bodies keep trucking as best as they can and try not to worry you about stuff that's not immediately dangerous (unless you have HA :)); by the time something hurts from misuse like teeth-grinding or bad computer posture (two common causes of physical strain), the cause has often been going on for a while. Timing often isn't significant. It sounds like you've been clamped down with anxiety for quite a while, and a bit of your head is finally saying "We'd like to loosen up up here."

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 21:59
Everything that starts has to start sometime, doesn't it? Nothing special about now.

In general, bodies keep trucking as best as they can and try not to worry you about stuff that's not immediately dangerous (unless you have HA :)); by the time something hurts from misuse like teeth-grinding or bad computer posture (two common causes of physical strain), the cause has often been going on for a while. Timing often isn't significant. It sounds like you've been clamped down with anxiety for quite a while, and a bit of your head is finally saying "We'd like to loosen up up here."

I agree with that i get all these horrible symptoms.Totally clamped down.

GirlAfraid23
27-02-14, 22:07
Im afraid im going to wake up with stroke symptoms in the morming :(

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 22:12
I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and my whole face will be numb like my head and i cant move my muscles ,My jaw has stated hurting becuase of this TMJ i am getting.Been feeling the same honest all week still get up make a cuppa have a little giggle here and there do some odd jobs round the house,I Spoke to my doctor only Monday about this she was not concerned :)