PDA

View Full Version : Am I gonna have a heartattack?

Vigilante
27-02-14, 21:57
Ok, starting to get into a panic.....

I'm a 32 year old male walking around for the past 2 weeks with blood pressure readings of 170/180 - 125/110.

My Dr has put me on Lisinopril 5mg (ACE inhibitor) on Monday and my bp is still up at the same levels.....

I got a new monitor after being told to keep an eye on my levels and 3 x now that has picked up an irregular heartbeat, I told the dr this and they listened to my heart and said it sounded fine and didn't do an ECG because I had one like 5 months ago?

reading tonight 170/117 with a 78 heart rate.

saab
27-02-14, 22:06
Hi. I would imagine it would take a while for the bp medicine to take effect. Skipped beats (though they are not really skipped, it's just one comes fractionally early) are very common and most people get them. They can definitely be caused by anxiety. You are only 32 so I wouldn't think you are likely to have a heart attack, even though you have been put on bp medication. If you get the palpitations more often, you could ask your gp for a holter monitor which lasts 24hrs.

Althea
27-02-14, 23:01
And that heart rate's within the normal range, so no worries there.

Dexterjames
27-02-14, 23:05
Hi my heart rate was 45-55 when i was in a normal state i am fit sports mad that was 5 months ago Then anxiety crept in now i am 75-85 BPM CONSTANTLY day in day out it sucks, but doc was not worried.
Try take your mind of it distract your self. :)

Fishmanpa
27-02-14, 23:29
I take several heart medications as I have heart disease. I was on Lisinopril 10mg for some time. Now just a beta blocker low dose. I don't know how long you've been taking it but it does take a week or so to get into your system.

You doctor is aware of your BP and keeping an eye on things. It doesn't help that you're focused on it and thus the readings are high. It's the anxiety that's keeping things on the high side. As has been said in many threads, treating the root of the problem often treats the symptoms as well.

Positive thoughts

Serenity1990
27-02-14, 23:48
Hi my heart rate was 45-55 when i was in a normal state i am fit sports mad that was 5 months ago Then anxiety crept in now i am 75-85 BPM CONSTANTLY day in day out it sucks, but doc was not worried.
Try take your mind of it distract your self. :)

I'm in a similar boat. My RHR upon waking was low fifties, then mid sixties during the day. When I was in the neuro's office last month it was 120!

Fishmanpa
28-02-14, 00:13
I'm in a similar boat. My RHR upon waking was low fifties, then mid sixties during the day. When I was in the neuro's office last month it was 120!

White coat syndrome ;) When I go for my three month checks, my BP is always up a bit.

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
28-02-14, 00:59
I agree with Fishmanpa. White coat syndrome can also happen at home. If you know you're going to be checking your BP and are concerned, the anxiety can raise your BP levels. Just calm down and give the medication some time to take effect.

RVP
28-02-14, 01:06
The medication takes 4/5 days to take effect, or even a week, that's what the Dr told me when I first started taking BP tablets.

Vigilante
28-02-14, 09:35
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.

I took a little experiment on myself last nite in the end. I took 10mg Diazempam within 30-45 mins of taking this I felt relaxed, took my bp to see 128/86.

At the time of my bp being its highest yesterday I felt red hot/flushed/headache, after the 10 mg diazepam I felt tired but neither hot or headache.

I'm actually wondering if I have GAD not just Health Anxiety?

I have had a lot of problems with my fiancees mum over the past week accumilating in her not coming to our daughters christening after party without even letting us know or even just her daughter know.

My dr wants me to go see her again this morning for a possible heart trace.

greggs92
28-02-14, 09:57
Ok, starting to get into a panic.....

I'm a 32 year old male walking around for the past 2 weeks with blood pressure readings of 170/180 - 125/110.

My Dr has put me on Lisinopril 5mg (ACE inhibitor) on Monday and my bp is still up at the same levels.....

I got a new monitor after being told to keep an eye on my levels and 3 x now that has picked up an irregular heartbeat, I told the dr this and they listened to my heart and said it sounded fine and didn't do an ECG because I had one like 5 months ago?

reading tonight 170/117 with a 78 heart rate.

No your definitely not going to have a heart attack, it's completely normal to experience irregular heart beats, It's part of the anxiety symptoms.

It's the adrenaline making your blood pump faster - it's actually good for you - think about athletes running around a track and they're are full of adrenaline, theirs are doesn't stop.

I always used to ask my parents "will my heart stop etc" i was rushed to the hospital once...but everything was fine :) All in our minds.

mummyanxious
28-02-14, 13:26
I bet you once this christening is over and done with your stress levels and blood pressure come down. From what you've written you sound to be pretty wound up at the moment and on edge and also worrying about your bp.
If you're worried when you take your bp it will be high. Believe me.

Vigilante
28-02-14, 17:50
Yeah had this convo with my dr this morning and stated that diazepam dropped my bp within 30 mins to normal levels. They are further testing my kidneys, with urine and ultrasound but my bloods were normal already.

Been given Propanolol 40 mg x 3 daily if needed, but really I'm just going to try and chill, get back doing my art work and listen to music.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Well I must work in reverse to everyone else! LOL, I took 1 x 40 mg prop and I have been feeling GREAT ever since buzzing around doing housework, cooking, cleaning and singing to myself.