PDA

View Full Version : teeth worries - advice needed

louise0501
28-02-14, 02:34
Hi everyone, my filling fell out earlier and its quite a deep filling and my anxiety has gone sky high. I can feel it with my tongue and it feels like a massive hole in my tooth and i think they might extract it this time as i only had the filling donea year ago. Im so worried as im going on holiday on tues for a week and not sure ill get an appoibtment before then so im gonna hav to spend my holiday in pain and worrying about my tooth. Any advice? Can anyone relate to this? Im really anxious and why did this hav to happen just before holiday.

Please reply
love louise x

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Anyone? Im getting pain and discomfort and a lot of sensitivity. Is this nornal? Im realky terrified im gonna get an infection

please reply
love louise

anxious_thoughts
28-02-14, 02:44
Hello,
I've never had any of my fillings fall out but my mom seems to get it every so often. It's very normal. She also gets a slight plain along with it. You should call your dentist to get it replaced, see if you can before your holiday.
Also, look at this site, I came across it after reading your question.
http://www.oralanswers.com/what-to-do-when-you-lose-a-filling-from-your-tooth/

Take care x

GlassPinata
28-02-14, 03:06
My husband had a bad cavity and couldn't afford a root canal (we don't have dental insurance), so he just paid sixty dollars to get the tooth pulled.
That was when he was about 25. It is really no problem to lose one or two of your back teeth. You can't tell at all by looking at him. The other teeth sort of moved around to fill in the gap.
I had four molars pulled as a child, before getting braces put on my teeth. The purpose of this was to make room for my wisdom teeth when they grew in.
Sure enough, it worked, and I am one of the few adults I know who kept my wisdom teeth with no problems.
Other than that I don't know what to tell you; I've only had two cavities in my life, and both were small, but I think if I had a big horrible gaping cavity, I would probably just get that tooth pulled, as long as it wasn't a front one. Nobody would ever know the difference, and then I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

Althea
28-02-14, 03:14
Ring your dentist immediately tomorrow and tell the office that you're leaving town soon and ask what they suggest. I know my dentist would slip me in and either patch me up with a temporary filling or do the actual filling, depending on how long it looked like it would take.

The hole can often feel much bigger to your tongue than it really is, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything; even if it is big, they can often do a crown if they can't just do a filling again. I've had a lot of teeth spackling over the years and haven't had to have one extracted yet.

louise0501
28-02-14, 13:55
Hi. I rang the dentist and i managed to get an appointnent for monday so at least i can get it looked at before holiday. Im now anxious about the appointment, i hate dentists and im terrified its gonna be sonething serious. I always thibk the worst case scenario.

Love louise

hanshan
28-02-14, 15:04
Dentists always keep some free time to see emergency cases. See your dentist - in my experience, if there is no pain, final treatment can always wait a while.

Althea
28-02-14, 15:16
Well done, louise! Just think how much more you'll enjoy your holiday having dealt with this already.

louise0501
28-02-14, 15:38
Yea im really glad i can get it looked at before holiday but i.really hate going to the dentist. Im worried there will be somethibg serious wrong or theres loads of problems with my teeth. Its very sensitive to anything cold is that normal? I had to clean my teeth with warm water.

Love louise

gypcyg
28-02-14, 15:44
Louise there should be an emergency dental helpline in your area. They know every NHS dentist in your area and will find you the soonest possible appointment. This service is open to all NHS dental patients. Where I live we can also use the hospital walk in clinic to get meds if the pain is intolerable.

When you go the dentist take your ipod and headphones - make a tracklist of songs that make you remember happy times and play it whilst the dentist does his/her work.

hanshan
01-03-14, 04:52
Some people are normally very sensitive to hot or cold food and drink, so it may be normal.

If you have some cavities, getting them filled should help. Also having caculus (tartar) properly scaled and cleaned on a regular basis should help.

Actual pain and sensitivity to pressure (tapping or biting) are stronger warning signs, in my experience.

louise0501
01-03-14, 11:08
Im not in a lot of pain, it just feels a bit discomfort and soreness and sensitive to anything really cold but im trying not to eat over that side as im worried food might get trapped and cause an infection. Im so scared its something serious. Any reassurance? Im so anxious and scared right now.

Love louise

gypcyg
01-03-14, 14:40
It is impossible for food to get trapped - If you do get an infection then tablets will clear it up within a day. No need to worry - the dentist will have you sorted soon.

louise0501
03-03-14, 21:39
Hi so i went to dentist today and im very glad to get it over and done with. The dentist did my filling for me but she did say its a deep filling so it miggt have to come out at some point. I now feel some slight pain and im starting to worry as im going on on holiday tomorrow. Its not really bad pain just a dull ache just wondered if this is normal after a filling?

Please reply
love louise

Althea
03-03-14, 21:47
Absolutely normal. You can take some paracetamol if you find it bothersome.