PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for reassurence!

Worrier13
28-02-14, 03:10
Hello! Wow this is my third post for this week, I promise it will be the last one too, but yeah it's been a crazy week.

So my question is: Does anyone ever get weird thoughts? I don't know how to explain this. Like anxiety is making you think a bit funny. Like for example the past week, every thought I have, or song I hear or text I read keeps playing in my head afterwards. Like when I'm writing this I of course read it in my head while typing but it keeps replaying.

This scares me so much since I'm terried of getting psychosis or something like that. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I just feel like my brain is sooooo overloaded with stuff and everything just keeps replaying. And now I'm always thinking about what I'm thinking. Like ''do I always think this much about what I just said? Why am I thinking about it?! Am I going crazy?!''

Thanks for reading, this site has propably saved my life.

anxious_thoughts
28-02-14, 03:13
I know exactly what you mean!
I also even get times where I feel like I don't think enough, like my brain is totally empty, so weird! But I usually get this when I feel very anxious, so it must be anxiety related.
Don't be too worried about it, exactly what you said "I feel like my brain is soooo overloaded" it's definitely due to anxiety. :)

Take care x

GlassPinata
28-02-14, 03:14
Yes, I get weird thoughts.
Not exactly like yours, but I know the sort of thing you're talking about.
I think it's related to stress and sleep deprivation.
My mom is schizophrenic and so is one of my adult sons.
I have always been terrified of it, but often it skips a generation, and apparently it skipped me, because I'm past the usual age for it now.
But I do have disordered thoughts sometimes, and it scares me.
So you're not alone.

TooMuchToLiveFor
28-02-14, 03:17
Mindfulness practice is VERY beneficial for mind chatter, racing thoughts, etc.
Let me know if you need some examples- I'd be happy to share.

Worrier13
28-02-14, 03:33
Thank you all! Glasspinata, if I was in your position I would be freaked out all the time. I admire you for goimg through all that. I don't even know if there's anything really weird about my thoughts or this replaying thing, maybe I just noticed and got paranoid because high anxiety. I hear my own voice repeat all the things I type, say etc and songs on the radio multiple times. And yes, really random thoughts or images sometimes flash in my mind like a midget dancing on ice... Which is funny but scares me. I dont have any hallucinations or think that some of these images are true. They're just random and scary and I start overthinking stuff really quickly :(

TooMuchToLiveFor
28-02-14, 03:47
I have just finished CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) this week. It was very beneficial, and I am happy to share some of it here. I also highly recommend looking into the free online course offered here at NMP as I know it has helped many of the community here.

According to neuroscientist, Dr Shanida Nataraja, westerners use the left hemisphere of their brain too much.

For simplicity of explanation, the left hemisphere is associated with analytical, rational and logical processing, where as the right hemisphere is associated with abstract thought, non verbal awareness, visual & spatial perception and the expression and modulation of emotions. In the western world, most individuals navigate through their everyday life in a fashion dominated by left brain thinking. Missing out on right brain activity results in too much thinking going on: too much frantic doing, not enough time being.

Practicing mindfulness can bring about calmness, stilling the brain chatter, and help us shift towards right brain mode.

By engaging our right brain we activate the parasympathetic nervous system (as opposed to the adrenaline releasing sympathetic system). More parasympathetic activity means less stress and therefore better health.

Mindfulness of breath:
Preparation-
Sit or lie in a comfortable position. You may choose to close your eyes or keep them open, if you are feeling tired it may be useful to let just a little bit of light in to keep you alert.
Time of mindfulness-
Begin by gently moving your attention onto the process of breathing. Simply observe each breath as it happens, whether you focus on the rise and fall of your chest or abdomen, or on the sensation of the breath at the nostrils. Really feel what it is like to breath, without feeling the need to alter your breath, just observing it as it happens.

***As you engage in this exercise you may find that your mind wanders (it will most definitely wander when you first start this), caught by thoughts or by noises in the room, or bodily sensations. When you notice that this happens, know that this is okay, and simply notice the distraction but gently bring your attention back to the breath.

Ending the exercise-
Take a few moments to yourself, just to really feel connected with the present moment. Expand your awareness from the breath into the room around you, and as you feel comfortable to do so, open your eyes and bring the exercise to a close.
Reflections-
Take a few moments to think about what your experience was in this exercise, and how you feel in the present moment.

The more you do this- the more your mind will learn not to chase thoughts all over the place. If I remember correctly, it is due to "cooling" your amygdala…..

Check this out for more scientific info on why mindfulness works: http://www.mindfulnet.org

This is just a beginning, but start here. There are also guided mindfulness exercises you can find on YouTube. Progressive relaxation is also good for relaxing your mind and body- especially before sleep. :)

Worrier13
28-02-14, 03:52
Thank you! It's almost six am here and I haven't slept in 48 hours so I will do this right away and see if I can calm myself a bit. Then a new try in rhe morning :) again, thanks!

TooMuchToLiveFor
28-02-14, 04:00
My pleasure! :)

And, just quickly- the progressive muscle relaxation in a nutshell:
Lay comfortably in your bed and begin with some focused breathing. Then start at the tips of your toes- tighten your toes as much as you can. Hold for 4-5 seconds, then release. Focus only on the area you are tightening. Focus on what it feels like in that tightened state, and then spend 4-5 seconds thinking about what the opposite feels like. The relaxation after having tightened and released.
Continue this up your body in small increments, all the way through your face. You can do your limbs one side at a time, or together.

Sweet dreams!

IrishLondon
28-02-14, 04:25
Hi worrier,

Just wanted to let you know I'm also awake - nearly 5am here. So i know what you are going through.

I have downloaded some mindfulness apps and will give what has been suggested here a go.

Conor

Worrier13
28-02-14, 04:44
Hi IrishLondon :) I did the exercises and they did calm me, I can't even remember a moment in these past few days when my mind wasnt on overload. But then ofc my horrible ocd/health anxiety about schitzophrenia started and I began to read stuff about it again :( I officially hate my brain. Maybe I'm just too scared to face my scary thoughts and that's why random words keep replaying in my head to keep my mind off them?

TooMuchToLiveFor
28-02-14, 04:52
Let me share-- these mindfulness exercises are like any other form of exercise…..it takes discipline of doing them routinely in order to see any long lasting results.

Also, keep in mind it doesn't do any good to go to the gym and work out if you are going to eat a pizza and a dozen doughnuts on the way home…….same thing with retraining your brain….Don't sabotage yourself by "working out" (mindfulness exercises) and then turning around and feeling your mind full of "junk food" ( Google searches on the things that freak you out!).

:hugs:

Worrier13
28-02-14, 11:04
Wow I got six hours of sleep!! And I didn't even wake up once during sleeping. This really is and improvement :)