PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom tooth removal

Mondie
28-02-14, 09:01
Hi All

I have a quick question if you don't mind?

I had my wisdom tooth removed on Tursday evening (so just over 48 hours ago) My face is swollen and I'm in pain that dulls with dicofenanc and paracetamol.

When will the pain and swelling go? I'm scared of infections or dry socket and I don't think I can face going back to the dentist again!

Thanks

jillyb
28-02-14, 10:01
I think it's quite common for the face to swell. I remember my ex looking like a guinea pig! If you are concerned I would give your dental surgery a quick call. If needed, it would be better to be on antibiotics than have an infection. The worse part is over, the tooth is out, so even if the dentist wants to see you he will only be looking. Hope you feel better soon. X

Magic
28-02-14, 12:16
Hi Mondie, I went through the same thing . It was ages ago. Things might have altered now. I had big bruise and stitches and dry socket.
I personally would not take diclofenanc. I had anitbiotics. If I remember rightly I was given them before I had the tooth out. Give the dentist a ring to see if there is any advice. GOOD LUCK xx

Nova84
28-02-14, 12:23
Hi, I had my wisdom tooth removed and stitches. My face swelled and bruised but the pain was managable alternating between paracetamol and nurofen.

Leslie735
28-02-14, 16:36
I had my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed back in July. I swelled a little but not too bad but I was on top of the icing, are you putting ice on your cheeks? I iced for about 3 days then switched to heat. I was in pain off and on for about a week. I also had a lot of pressure in my bridge of my nose and roof of my mouth. That took over a week to go away. I was terrified of dry socket but if you make it to day 4 or 5 then your most likely good to go. Do you have a follow up appointment scheduled? I had to go back about a week after to have my sockets looked at. I'm 7 months out and I can still feel indention's where my teeth were but they are heeled and no problems since.

Mondie
28-02-14, 16:55
Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better now. The swelling and pain is definitely less. Glad it was only the one I had out!

anthrokid
28-02-14, 22:25
It's different for every person. When I had all 4 of mine removed through surgery, my face was swollen for 2 weeks and I struggled to eat solids for about 7 days. My sister had the exact same procedure and was eating fried chicken the same night with no swelling after 2 days!

Sounds like you're making good progress, especially if the swlling and pain is less. I'd only worry about infection if it suddenly got worse, which it doesn't sound like it will. And even if it does it's only a trip to the doctor and a dose of antibiotics before you're good as new :)

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

I say she was eating fried chicken the exact same night, but now I remember that she was actually eating it on the way home from the hospital. I remember going through the drive through and thinking - "Hell, this woman is crazy!"