PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine cannabis and alcohol

hellodolly
28-02-14, 10:59
I am only on day two of a 37.5mg dose of venlafaxine, after several attempts with other meds and some bad times on mirtazapine I haven't taken anything for the last few months. Going cold turkey wasn't bad my mood has been high and life has been great but I was concerned because my moods still change quickly and unexpectedly so I figured going back on something was better than doing nothing. I am a regular cannabis smoker and currently have a few family events coming up where I know I will be drinking. Has anyone else had any experience with this good or bad? I also have diazepam for bad anxiety days so any advice is welcome

gypcyg
28-02-14, 16:21
HelloDolly I had major anxiety for 16 years, I started smoking weed after 3/4 years just because it helped me to sleep (I should add - The more you use the more you need and eventually I realised it wasn't helping me to sleep, in fact it was having the opposite effect).

When I eventually sought help and found a psychologist, his first words were that I needed to give it up if I was to get better. I fought this diagnosis - well by this time I'd been smoking for over ten years and the thought of not having it terrified me - I did give it up though and because of this I was eventually able to think clearly again and found out the underlying reasons for my anxiety.

Once the voice in my head disappeared I did start smoking it again and I can't deny that I love the feeling of being high and being happy. Unfortuantely I realised that weed does make your sleeping patterns irregular, it makes you unmotivated and worse of all I was missing valuable time with my family and friends.

My suggestion to you is to get away from where you are. Drop any friends who smoke it (the temptation to start again is massive) and to accept that to get better you need a clear head.

It has been accepted that weed can help with PTSD and with people undergoing chemotherapy. If you don't suffer from these then give it up - it's the best thing I ever did.

You need to have a strategy in place for your recovery - Write down your plans and take it from there.

P.S. smoking weed artificially lowers blood pressure and this makes your body feel weak - another good reason to quit.