PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Life

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 15:21
Hello everyone,

Well, I'm finally at a spot where I feel like I can plan for the future, although it's going to be hard following through with those plans I can take great courage and strength from previous battles to help me.

The title of this thread is slightly silly to be honest, as I'm already alive. But I'm not taking this that way. As KLP said, once you recover it's like being reborn. It's going to be hard adapting to the world as I've only known my home for years now but still, I can't wait!

I just wanted to post this and ask how I can structure getting back to meeting/being around people. My psychiatrist has been doing exposure therapy with me for three years, but that's stopped as he's focused on my depression etc.

Obviously exposing myself to the triggers will help a lot, here's what I'm doing already:

- I've been going out regularly for walks and runs at night.
- Building my self esteem & Self confidence.
- Making an effort to look better (unfortunately this has to be one)
- Correcting my diet and slowly gaining weight.
- Making contact via social networks to old friends
- Skyping a friend
- Sometimes going out during the day

I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas to add into the mix, I know I need to slowly build things up. Being around people usually has to involve doing something as I'm prone to over thinking if there's nothing going on.

Also, I've sort of arranged a vague date to meet a friend. it's not till around June/July and it involves me travelling 5-6 hours to meet her. So I guess this is the foundations of managing to do that. Another friend also messaged me and said she want to meet sometime, she lives closer so that could actually be sooner.

I'd be super grateful if anyone knows of anything else I could do apart from the obvious.

Thank you! :yesyes:

Phuzella
28-02-14, 15:25
Go places where you can people watch. Imagine their lives. Take a sketch book out and sketch. Take photos. I'll post more as I think of them lol

MrAndy
28-02-14, 15:31
join a support group

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 15:36
Go places where you can people watch. Imagine their lives. Take a sketch book out and sketch. Take photos. I'll post more as I think of them lol

Ooo good idea, that sounds kinda fun actually!

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

join a support group

So like a counselling type group with other sufferers? my psychiatrist asked me about this a while ago but I wouldn't go, I'll ask him on Monday.

Phuzella
28-02-14, 15:42
I like to go to London for the day and immerse myself in the noise and general mayhem. No one takes any notice of you, you can wander about as you please :)

MrAndy
28-02-14, 15:49
Ooo good idea, that sounds kinda fun actually!

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

So like a counselling type group with other sufferers? my psychiatrist asked me about this a while ago but I wouldn't go, I'll ask him on Monday.yes you will be amazed once you get into it how healing it can be sharing your common worries with others

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 16:05
I like to go to London for the day and immerse myself in the noise and general mayhem. No one takes any notice of you, you can wander about as you please :)

I'd love to be able to do that! I guess going to Exeter (my closest city) is kinda the same, I could even get on a train and go there. I'm excited now!

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

yes you will be amazed once you get into it how healing it can be sharing your common worries with others

Yeah, I've never met anyone outside of this forum with similar problems so I can imagine that it will be a great help, being in a closed room with people seems a little daunting but ohwell. I'll ask my psychiatrist, I think he said there's one close by :D

Phuzella
28-02-14, 16:21
You're in Devon then? Beautiful county for getting out and about sketching and photo taking:). Lots to look forward to.

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 16:44
You're in Devon then? Beautiful county for getting out and about sketching and photo taking:). Lots to look forward to.

Yes I am, I went out taking some photos not too long ago, never tried the sketching though. I'll definitely have to do it, hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow then I can :D

Phuzella
28-02-14, 16:51
Hopefully Spring is on it's way so that's a bonus. Get yourself a diary, list some goals and write about the outcomes. Plans don't always come to fruition, but that's life. See the little positives in every day.
I envy you, so much life ahead of you, go little Buddha:D

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 16:59
Thank you Phuzella! :D

Don't envy me, I'm sure you've had and are yet to have many amazing experiences that I never will. I think I may actually go out earlier to catch the sun a little.

Oh and I like the idea of setting goals, I've always set myself a goal to do at least one thing new/different each day so I should probably set some others :)

Phuzella
28-02-14, 17:04
Make one of your goals getting up early in the summer. The early morning light is so good for photos. I'll try and post one that I took in London at about 7 in the morning a couple of years ago. Nelson ' s column and the Moon lol it looks pretty good.

SarahH
28-02-14, 17:10
Good idea for a post Luna!:)
The other thing you could try is to stay on NMP and continue to support others.... it helps me as I like helping others

LunaLiuna
28-02-14, 17:18
Make one of your goals getting up early in the summer. The early morning light is so good for photos. I'll try and post one that I took in London at about 7 in the morning a couple of years ago. Nelson ' s column and the Moon lol it looks pretty good.

I've been meaning to start getting up early for ages, but I never go to sleep until late so I've just never really bothered with it. I'll add this into my list of goals to complete by next Friday :D

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Good idea for a post Luna!:)
The other thing you could try is to stay on NMP and continue to support others.... it helps me as I like helping others

I'll definitely do that Sarah, people here have been a massive part in me getting back on track, so I'll definitely stay on here and help when it's needed. Like you, helping people helps me :)

Tanner40
01-03-14, 13:55
Happy Saturday Luna. We vaguely touched on this in a previous post. I love Mr Andy's idea about a support group. How about writing down a list of things that you love and enjoy, like crystals, etc... Look for shops in your area and maybe make some phone calls on groups that meet. Hobby type groups. That way you have something in common to talk to people about. Something that you love and feel comfortable talking about.

Fishmanpa
01-03-14, 14:27
LunaL,

It's great to see the progress you've been making. There's a totally different tone and feel to your posts and it's refreshing and inspiring to see. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it! :)

Positive thoughts

LunaLiuna
01-03-14, 14:51
Happy Saturday Luna. We vaguely touched on this in a previous post. I love Mr Andy's idea about a support group. How about writing down a list of things that you love and enjoy, like crystals, etc... Look for shops in your area and maybe make some phone calls on groups that meet. Hobby type groups. That way you have something in common to talk to people about. Something that you love and feel comfortable talking about.

Yeah I remember that now, I think it will be best just going to an anxiety/mental health group at first, at least then there will be people who understand if I panic or anything. Perhaps then I could search around :)

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

LunaL,

It's great to see the progress you've been making. There's a totally different tone and feel to your posts and it's refreshing and inspiring to see. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it! :)

Positive thoughts

Thank you Fishmanpa! :yesyes:

Have a great day everyone!

Phuzella
01-03-14, 15:02
Go and get yourself a sketch book:)

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-14, 06:08
I agree with Phuzella, encourage your creative side. If you like it, you could go to a night class in a group. You mentioned needing to do something which I take it mean a way to prevent your mind wandering and any symptoms being spotted, which I agree with since just sitting around can mean you start to internalise again.

Another poster mentioned a group. I can tell you my experience of this as I did do this for a while until circumstances changed, but I intend to start again soon.

I was originally going down the route into CBT and when asked about attending a group I thought, nah, I want to talk about my own issues. However, as my CBT came to an end I thought I would see what it's like.

So, I went to a drop in meeting. Guess what, it's only a charity run by people who have and still do suffer from anxiety, depression, etc so they would understand how I felt. I won't lie, it did take effort as it was new and in talking to some of the co-ordinators, they went through the same when they started to attend, but it was worth it. A few sessions later and it was much easier. I found myself trying to help others who were worse off than I was or not as far along in getting better.

This group was part of a network all over the city and they also ran workshops for people who can't access therapy or are waiting or just want some help. All sorts of things really and based around CBT.

They also had a session newsletter, the table had lots of leaflets about other activities and things that branched off from them e.g. some users ran coffee mornings. They would also work with the LA to obtain anything offered via other routes such as local schemes for people. You could even train with them and help out or just volunteer.

So, there can be lots of opportunities if you are looking for something and there was no pressure to talk or even come back.

Perhaps you may find something like this and it would be worth a look.

I found it useful to talk to others and I met people I wouldn't in my normal life. I met others similiar and they gave me advice and I gave advice to others where I had knowledge e.g. I new a lot about the industry I had just left and with it being a consumer essential service, I could tell users how to save money or where to get advice, etc. That felt good.

There is nothing to lose afterall.

Definately worth having a look at the creative side if you like taking photos. You may find a night course on photography for instance. You could get a "how to draw" book and sketch from your photo's when back at home at night and go out and draw/find things for later in the day.

I don't know your situation as I'm new on here but from what I read in your post you seem really committed and doing well, well done. I find it hard to keep the momentum myself so I know what a struggle it can be so it's always pleasing to see someone doing loads and setting goals as it's key to having a structure.

All the best

T

LunaLiuna
03-03-14, 17:11
Just had the meeting with my Psychiatrist, he said that he holds mindfulness meetings with 8 parents and 8 teenagers, I must admit it doesn't sound the most appealing, it's not until May so we have agreed to see how I progress up until then, it looks like I will most likely meet old friends :)

CeeCeeCee
04-03-14, 10:21
Luna, I think you could write a book on your road to recovery. A future goal could be a career in counselling or working with kids or similar, you are a natural supporter. The world is actually your oyster and you are young enough to have the time to take to get there :)

LunaLiuna
04-03-14, 10:41
You know Cee, I have been thinking about writing a book, but I don't really know where too start. I could definitely do it though, I love writing.

Do you have any ideas on how I could structure it a book?

Even if I don't do the book I'm studying to be a psychologist already, so hopefully I will be able to help people as a career then.

I'm having a little panic this morning but it's nothing I can't handle :)

Have a beautiful day Cee :)

Phuzella
04-03-14, 11:06
Write a diary every day, all your thoughts, all the stuff you're doing to recover.
Write about the past when it feels right to do so. Don't rush it, just Let It evolve. Structure comes later, you've plenty of time. :)

LunaLiuna
04-03-14, 11:34
Thank you Phuzella, I guess I already started that on here :)

I love you new picture by the way!

Have a great day.

CeeCeeCee
04-03-14, 12:04
Yes Luna, that's what I was going to say, look back over your posts on here, that will help a lot. You will make a great psychologist, you are already a bit of a psychologist in a way, helping people on here through bad times. Phuzella is right, just start at the beginning and do it in note style until you have enough content, then add to it and edit it, it will all come together.
Sorry you are a bit low today, try and make a plan for this afternoon to do something, might help :)

Phuzella
04-03-14, 12:59
Nelson and the Moon lol.
Thank you, you have a great too:)