PDA

View Full Version : Gluten - I knew I was right!

shakey1961
01-03-14, 09:29
I have posted many threads on here about the effects that Gluten can have on the stomach and on the mind. It's cured me!

I have had some comments that people didn't believe me, but I have just helped a guy who has posted on here in the past.

After talking to him on the phone earlier this week I suggested he buy a coeliac test, which he duly did.

The test came back positive! No doctor ever suggested to him that stomach problems were the root cause of his mental problems. He has panic and anxiety and finds he gets breathless. He has a lot of physical anxiety symptoms!

I have no medical training whatsoever, but I've found the source. He will now go and see his GP to get proper tests done.

I will guarantee he will recover fully.

Please re-read my threads on the subject.

shakey1961
02-03-14, 14:29
No-one making a comment?

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

120 people viewed the thread and still no reply!

Jaco45er
02-03-14, 15:02
You mean gluten intolerance is the source to that particular suffers anxiety? Mmm interesting. I read something similar a few years back

LunaLiuna
02-03-14, 15:15
I went raw vegan for three years, I cut gluten and other nasties out as well, whilst it made me feel good physically it didn't really do much for my anxiety unfortunately.

I'm sure some peoples anxiety is caused by intolerances though!

Jaco45er
02-03-14, 15:29
I remember reading about this guy that was campaigning to highlight Candida, a fungus in the stomach, that would cause anxiety and depression. Similar thing to this I think.

I remember it started a big debate, but some people swear that it needs more attention.

shakey1961
02-03-14, 18:47
I just wish people would give it a try. Not going to do you any harm whatsoever, it could cure you, or at least make you feel a bit better and cut out some of your problems.

I can't force people to do it, but I can encourage you.

My thoughts on Candida are that because your gut is compromised through Coeliac, you can get candida overgrowth.

So... ball is in your court everyone. I'm quite happy to reply to any messages on here or Privately.

Phuzella
02-03-14, 18:55
Do you know of any links between skin rashes and gluten?

Jaco45er
02-03-14, 19:00
It's a fascinating subject Shakey, would be interesting to see if anyone follows it and their anxiety subsides.

I could see how an underlying medical condition may trigger anxiety.

Out of interest, where did your friend buy the coeliac test kit? And is it accurate?

Reason I am interested is, although my anxiety more or less non-existent these days (well, apart from anxiety in response to real stress), I have been suffering from bouts of, well what the GP says, is IBS. Although they never tested me.

I often wonder if there is some reaction going on that's causing it !!

Fishmanpa
02-03-14, 19:27
While I believe this can be the root of certain peoples issues and obviously it was for yours, if in fact it were the answer to all individuals with similar symptoms/issues, the medical/psychological community would be adopting and using the technique.

I think it's wonderful that this has worked for you, and that trying it would cause no harm, it may not be the answer to everyone's problem. I know in the cancer world, there are dozens of diet related programs that claim to stop/reverse and even cure cancer yet there is no scientific proof.

Positive thoughts

shakey1961
03-03-14, 04:52
Do you know of any links between skin rashes and gluten?

Dermatitis Herpetiformis - is a skin rash that is caused by Coeliac disease. DH presents itself as skin blisters looking like you've been burnt. However, I have seen pictures on Coeliac websites of people with lots of tiny little pimples on their fingers, usually in a straight line down the side of a finger, which is exactly the same as I had, and they're incredibly itchy. When you scratch them you feel a need to do it so much you actually draw blood. I got so bad that I used tweezers to literally pull dead skin from between my fingers. You can have these little pimples/rash anywhere on your body.

So yes, I do believe gluten can cause skin rashes.

As for the Coeliac kit - if you're in UK you can buy a kit from Boots. You can also get it online:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biocard-Celiac-Test-Gluten-Sensitivity/dp/B0013G6C6Q

As it says, it's only 80% accurate and you do need to get a proper test from your GP. However, even with a negative professional test, you can still have problems with gluten, but I'd say get the test first.

And yes, gluten can be a problem in people with IBS! In fact, I went to my GP with pains in my gut and even my GP said it was IBS and gave me tablets for it. Since going gluten free I don't have the pains, and I started with the gut pain around the same time I started with anxiety when I was 16yo.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 ----------

While I believe this can be the root of certain peoples issues and obviously it was for yours, if in fact it were the answer to all individuals with similar symptoms/issues, the medical/psychological community would be adopting and using the technique.

I think it's wonderful that this has worked for you, and that trying it would cause no harm, it may not be the answer to everyone's problem. I know in the cancer world, there are dozens of diet related programs that claim to stop/reverse and even cure cancer yet there is no scientific proof.

Positive thoughts

You'd be surprised, at least years ago, at how the medical profession would not even think to look at stomach problems when you have anxiety. Even my own GP told me it was stress. I only found out by accident. I went to my GP because I had diarrhoea after eating a home made sponge cake and I thought it was the eggs! He told me it was unlikely to be the eggs but to try cutting out wheat. Next thing I know I'm feeling calm and my low blood sugar episodes became less severe and fewer.

My head is clearer, I think better, my heart rate is slower, in fact lying in bed one night I checked my pulse, it was 58bpm and I'm not a fit guy at all. Checking my pulse as I type this it's at 68bpm! The guy who I've just helped has said the same thing as me - we're both that calm we hardly feel the need to breathe!

I am very passionate about this - you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If it doesn't help it's not harmed you by trying a gluten free diet, but if you feel better then it's worth it.

My father always had a problem with "wind" or "Gas" as the Americans call it. He never stopped burping and farting. For as long as I can remember he always had loose bowel movements which were foul smelling. My father was one of 4 boys. One of his brothers, in later life, developed epilepsy which can be a complication of undiagnosed coeliac disease. His two other brothers were alcoholics. Barley is used in the brewing process and rye is used in making Whiskey. One was hooked on beer and the other Whiskey! While there is no scientific evidence for alcoholism and coeliac, I've read tales, on the internet, of people who believe it is linked.

My cousins daughter, also from the male side of the family, has been properly diagnosed with Coeliac disease.

Sadly, my father and all his brothers have passed away now, but their history all screams out "Coeliac Disease"

Many times over the years I would say to my parents that "Something is doing this to me" i.e. The anxiety and panic wasn't all in my head.

Lilharry
03-03-14, 07:17
Shakey, as you well know, I am another person who has discovered that gluten was causing me problems, as well as sugar. There is a lot of scientific evidence that wheat is a problem for many people, not just coeliacs. Here's an interestin article on why http://news.discovery.com/human/why-you-should-probably-stop-eating-wheat-121214.htm

You really are what you eat and if your gut is compromised it can easily be overun with harmful bacteria and fungus. Again, there is a lot of scientific evidence that this is the case. See this article for example http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110517110315.htm

I know since I have been treated for candida that I am feeling so much better than I have for years. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember and for the past year I have also had chronic fatigue. These things aren't unrelated and I know that what's been happening in my gut is the root of it all.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

This is also an interesting read: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/10/wheat-is-a-cause-of-many-diseases-i-leaky-gut/

LunaLiuna
03-03-14, 11:06
How would you go about bringing your gut back to a more natural state? I have a fairly good diet, I'm also vegetarian.

shakey1961
03-03-14, 12:20
Short of taking a Coeliac Disease test, you need to go on a gluten free diet, and it's not as difficult as it might seem.

If you keep off gluten your gut will heal itself given time. You should feel better within a couple of weeks.

You can still be gluten intolerant even if you have a negative coeliac test.

Jaco45er
03-03-14, 12:22
Thanks Shakey, I will have a look into that :)

Catherine S
03-03-14, 12:47
I know that I seem to have more digestive problems as ive got older, something I never had before, and that if my digestive system is out of whack the heart flutters and palps can get much worse too. I always suspected there was a link between what I put into my stomach..what I drank as well as ate.. and the way my heart behaved (having had all the tests there is to have over the years with my heart that is) because I read somewhere that an irritated stomach can cause irritation of other organs in the body...heart, kidney, liver etc. I don't know how true it is though.

Its good to hear you have had a positive outcome Shakey :)

Lilharry
03-03-14, 19:56
From all the research I've done and the courses I've been on and talking to my doctor and naturopath, what can happen is that through our western diets full of sugar, wheat and processed food, we compromise our gut by not feeding it the right things and therefore creating an environment where bad bacteria and fungus can thrive. This in turn leaves our immune system run down and us open to further infection. It will also inflame out digestive system and can make it permeable, allowing proteins etc from the food we eat into our blood stream and upsetting our immune system further. This can cause things like allergies and food intolerances. For example, since I was a teenager I have become more and more allergic to different foods and have had more and more pain in my gut. The more our gut is inflamed and permeable and full of the wrong kinds of bacteria, the more trouble we have with obtaining nutrients from the food we eat, which will lead to deficiencies often resulting in symptoms we call anxiety. These may be sub-clinical deficiencies, ie not picked up in a blood test, but that doesn't mean we aren't deficient, just not to the point where it's so serious medical intervention must step in. Also, if we have bacterial or fungal overgrowths, these can cause a whole host of symptoms from the toxic by products they produce that get into our blood stream - anxiety, ear ringing, pain in all parts of the body, floaters, allergies, heart palpitations, racing thoughts, fuzzy brain etc etc. One of those by products is acetaldehyde - the same toxic chemical that causes hangovers.

On top of this, our modern lifestyles that are full of stress don't help us either. Stress itself directly affects our gut (think about how when you get anxious you get a funny feeling in your stomach). Stress chemicals can create an environment in which bad bacteria/fungus thrives. That's why things like meditation and yoga help and why we often feel better when we go on holiday.

Gluten is a problem because our bodies don't digest it well and many people are intolerant to it. Also the modern wheat that is grown is highly toxic. Traditionally, when wheat was used in food, it was soaked or sprouted and allowed to ferment before it was baked with (eg sourdough). This broke down a lot of the toxins and made the wheat far more digestable than the flour we use these day. Also note that whole grain wheat on a damaged gut is actually worse than white flour because the husk of the wheat is non-digestable and is literally tearing at your already compromised gut lining as it passes through. I know I would always feel terrible if I ate whole grain bread or mueslie, but kept doing it because I thought it was healthy, not knowing I was damaging my gut further.

LunaLiuna (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=58305) - If I were you, I would pack your diet with lots of good natural fats - avocados, butter, cream, olive oil, but stay away from man made oils - sunflower oil, canola oil, soybean oil etc. Full fat dairy is good for you. Try to eat as organically as you can and eat lots of eggs! I have 3 eggs for breakfast in the morning. Cut out wheat and sugar. I'm also not keen on lentils and beans because they are also full of toxins, but if they are prepared properly they are probably okay in moderation. Raw vegetables and vegies on the FODMAPS list can be hard to digest and can cause problems, but root vegetables are much easier to digest - carrots, sweet potato, beets etc. The one thing that is really fantastic for healing a compromised gut is bone broth, but you might struggle with that if you are vegetarian. If you can stomach it, do try it. My naturopath, who is also vegetarian, says she recommends bone broth to anyone with a compromised gut even if they are vegetarian because it really is the best thing there is. Also, fermented vegetables are fantastic - heaps of recipes online. And take a probiotic. Minimise your stress levels with lots of meditation or yoga.

It can take a long time to heal and it is hard work. I started on my healing journey in August last year when I got so sick I couldn't get out of bed and I was still being told by doctors that there was nothing wrong with me and it was "just anxiety". I was lucky to finally find a doctor who listened and told me it wasn't all in my head and gave me the name of the naturopath I now go to instead of the doctor. But the one thing I can categorically say is that when you start the journey and you actually start feeling better than you ever have, it is totally worth it. And you know that you are healing the root of the cause instead of just covering up the symptoms with drugs - it's very empowering. I am several months in now and I can tell you that my anxiety is dramatically reduced, I am up out of bed and doing things. My mind is clear and I no longer have stiff sore muscles and joints. I am still not back at work as I still have ups and downs. Healing your body isn't exactly fun at times as you can experience detox reactions and healing crises that aren't pleasant, but if you can ride it out you will come out feeling better than ever!

Sorry for the novel - I feel very passionate about this stuff and I was TOTAL sceptic that any of it would help me, but it has. I hope it will help other people too. Stop looking to your doctor for answers because they don't have them. A lot of this stuff is only in its infancy in terms of scientific study and science is slow to work its way into the main stream - that is just the nature of it. Do your own research - there's tons of stuff on the internet about gut bacteria and how it affects us as well food toxins. I'm happy to point people to blogs that I follow, books I've read etc if anyone is interested. And I'm not a doctor or an expert, so my summary above is very very basic and probably doesn't take into account many other variables, it's just my basic understanding of how things work.