PDA

View Full Version : To any medical people

pete24
01-03-14, 13:40
Please help as I recently had a blood cholesterol test,which seemed ok,but receptionist at my surgery said I had high potassium levels,and would need to retake the test in 2 weeks.I am going to struggle to wait 2 weeks with my anxiety levels

Mondie
01-03-14, 13:52
I'm no medical person, but if you are worried and feeling anxious why don't you make an appointment to see your doctor and discuss the blood test result.

I understand that 2 weeks is a long time to wait if your feeling anxious, but I know that our bodies can throw up weird blood test results for NO reason and when we get retested we are fine. It's happened to me on a couple of occasions.

debs71
01-03-14, 14:05
Pete, though I was a nurse, I would not like to speculate. I think it creates fear and more anxiety to be honest if taken as truth, but what I would say is high potassium can be as simple as what you are eating or meds. Blood tests can also go off whack at times, and you may find that after a second test it is within normal ranges.

I know it is hard to wait with anxiety, as we dream up and self-diagnose ourselves with the worst case scenario. I agree with Mondie. If you are very worried, I would make an appointment to discuss it and your concerns.

All the best.:winks:

pete24
01-03-14, 14:13
Thanks for reply-I know I sound a bit pathetic compared to some people's problems,but I tend to worry about any medical discrepancies x

pete24
02-03-14, 09:56
It's as if ,if I worry about something it usually turns out ok,but if I am too happy I am heading for a fall.I also have pretty bad OFF ,which doesn't help.

EmmaJane
02-05-15, 11:13
Hi Pete. I had a blood test Thursday which all came back fine apart from my potassium levels were high at 6.1. Doctors have told me not to eat raw carrots and have another test Wednesday. I am really fretting. I cant get out of my anxiety at all.

Frankie123
02-05-15, 18:32
I have had high potassium on more than one occasion. My doctor says it depends at what time of day it is done and what you have eaten before the test so I wouldn't worry too much.

EmmaJane
02-05-15, 19:21
I did take a 30/500 cocodamol before the test. I take quite a few of these and have a feeling now that they can higher the potassium levels? Im also bad for ice cream. Im just worried if it doesnt go down after not eating this stuff or taking cocodamol.

countrygirl
02-05-15, 20:49
I once had a wacky potassium result and it was due to the blood being taken too quickly or slowly or being asked to pump your hand while blood is taken. I got a phone call the next day asking me to go back for another test but it was explained to me why and what can cause sky high potassium results as above.

You could ring again and ask if this is the reason you are being asked back as the result would be very high rather than just a bit higher than normal.

If this is the reason its a shame they can't redo the test asap.

OGNinjaDon
03-05-15, 00:02
Honestly, if they are waiting 2 weeks for another test, there really is nothing to worry about. If they suspected anything you would be back there a lot sooner, and even then as people say, you can get inaccurate readings quite easily.

Davit
03-05-15, 00:36
Stop eating bananas, apples, potatoes and cantaloupe, and it should drop, if you get sore muscles it went too low. You don't mention if you are taking a potassium sparing diuretic, that is the most common cause for high potassium. It goes higher if you are taking losartan potassium for blood pressure. My doctor never phoned me after my second test, the lab told me it was normal.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

For those who don't know what cocodamol is, this side of the pond it is T3s