PDA

View Full Version : Brain Fog/spaced out

MissAnxiety
01-03-14, 16:27
Hi everyone for a few years now I have been suffering on occasios from brain fog, I feel like what I am doing/seeing is a dream or that im watching someone else do it, I don't feel dizzy just really not with it like im dazed. I only get this once in a while but it worries me. Is this a symptom of anxiety? Does anyone else get this? As you all probably know from your own experiences you automatically think the worst but im sure if it was a brain tumour or some other scary disease it would be constant? Thank you for reading this and would be greatful for any responses x

anxious_thoughts
01-03-14, 16:32
Hello MissAnxiety,
I have experienced this brain fog/feeling of not being real throughout my struggle with anxiety. And just like you, I only experience it sometimes but I still worry about brain tumours.

I have posted about this type of feeling on here before and everyone who commented have said it's a very common symptom of anxiety. (I also believe it's one of the worst along, right after dizziness).

What I do is I started journal writing, so every time I feel a symptom I write it down and I write what I think is going to happen, then I wait a few hours later or when the feeling stops, and I write what actually happened. Reading back on it makes me realize that the symptoms aren't as bad as it seems and they never go as bad as I believe they will. Try it out. :)

Take care x

MissAnxiety
01-03-14, 16:46
Thank you so much Jen, that post made me smile, its such a relief to hear other people get it, its such a hard feeling to explain as im not dizzy or my head isn't spinning or anything it just doesn't feel reall, exactly like you said. I sat about it to my partner but I don't think unless you feel it you can understand. It comes on at weird times. I always think you would get symptoms when the anxiety is bad but this just happens randomly. Is there anything that triggers yours? Xx

anxious_thoughts
01-03-14, 21:34
Any time. :) happy I could help.

To be honest nothing really triggers it, it's just like you said it happens randomly. Although, I feel like I experience it more when I've stayed home for the day, I always have to be out and doing something. Definitely try journaling it because it does help a lot looking back on it and realizing you've experienced it all before. :)

I've also noticed that my anxiety symptoms doesn't necessarily happen when I'm the most anxious, it's usually an on and off thing that for the most part happens at random times. Must be normal though, ever since coming on this website I've met others who go through the exact same thing!

MissAnxiety
02-03-14, 00:10
Makes me feel more normal then, I always think when I am sick with worry is when I will get the symptoms, not like today everything was fine, having a "good day" in town and my head goes blank, had to come home cause I felt so bad within half hour I was feeling fine again, just left with a headache. I know it is in my head because two weeks ago I got told a horrible story about a brain tumour since then I have had headaches, tiered all the time, sore eyes and now this, bit of a coincidence. As soon as I start thinking about something or hear/see something about an illness within a week I start getting symptoms even if im not thinking about it. Are you like that? How long have you had Health Anxiety for? I will start a journal tomorrow, will try anything if it helps xx

anxious_thoughts
02-03-14, 01:06
I am exactly like that! It's crazy how similar symptoms can be and even how not so similar they are. I think even if we aren't actually thinking about it, our mind is just racing with thoughts that at times we do it unconsciously, which could even result in symptoms. Like today I was okay all morning and during the day. And now I'm starting to feel slightly dizzy when I walk around and make fast turns, I get this a lot so I'm really trying not to focus on it.

I've worried about a brain tumour for around 10-11 years, but I didn't really have too much anxiety over if until last April. That's when my real health anxiety started, it was the first time I got dizzy, now I'm all over the place anxiety wide. Symptoms I've had for many years now really worried me even though they never did before, and I've gotten many new ones since last April. And good idea for the journaling! Hope it helps you :)

RoseEve
02-03-14, 02:59
It's called depersonalization. Very unsettling I've had this a few times under extreme anxiety. But it passes:)

MissAnxiety
03-03-14, 09:55
Jen you sound just like me, it's really scary and even with you both telling me it's a common symptom im still here thinking what if they're wrong, or what if I haven't got anxiety and I have got something worse and that its just a coincidence that the symptoms are the same. Silly I know. I can tell it's in my head cause when my boyfriend has a day off and I got something to look forward to I feel so much better then when he's at work or I am bored all the anxiety kicks in again. I don't understand how we can't just snap out of it, it is so frustrating we know we are healthy, not dying with a terminal illness and its just in our heads so why cant we say to ourselves dont be stupid your fine its in your head, its so frustrating especially when people dont understand unless they have it themselves. Xx

anxious_thoughts
04-03-14, 00:30
I always think "what if they're wrong". Trust me, that is very normal with anxiety, even if we've been checked by a professional we tend to still think the worst. Stubborn, aren't we? :P

We are identical, even when in with my boyfriend my symptoms don't become that noticeable, or even when I'm at work. This is a good thing! I wish we could snap out of it, it's definitely easier said than done. It can be so frustrating because people who don't have health anxiety can get the same symptom as us but manage to stay calm about it. Do hard to do! :(

Worrier13
04-03-14, 01:11
Oh yes. I was so worried about it that I just 'knew' it was a brain tumor (I also had others symptoms like blurry vision, huge pupils, numbness on the left side of my body, dizzyness, threw up many times a day, headaches so most symptoms of brain cancer) that I would not plan the next day. For 4 months I thought I was dying until I finally had an mri done and it was clear. It was really hard to accept that it was anxiety since I didnt even feel anxious. But yeah, I had all the tests and scan done and nothing was physically wrong with me. Im not on any medication since I dont want to take anything and this fog feeling still haunts me almost every day. I've noticed that if I havent slept well or have clenched my teeth at night, the day after is the worst for me. I think its related to the tightness of my neckmuscles! You're not alone, I know how hard it is :(

MissAnxiety
04-03-14, 15:15
Thanks guys you make me feel like im not going crazy or at least if I am im not the only one lol. Been really good the last few days and typical today is breast cancer awareness day, so here we go again with the anxiety. I thought just maybe I was starting to get over it well now I know im not, I think I have checked my boobs about 5 times today if not more and it doesn't help they're always sore even though I got a perfect explanation for it being on the contraceptive inplant. How are you today Jen? Xx

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 00:08
Haha we definitely can't totally run away from anxiety :(

I'm doing alright today, actually during the day it was great. I then got home and started to get lots of gas and bloating in my stomach. This has been happening on and off since the beginning of February. Of course I think maybe IBS or ovarian related...I don't know!
How are you? Hope you're feeling better xx

MissAnxiety
05-03-14, 15:08
I know IBS is really common with anxiety I suffer with it and the last few days ive been worked up ive been really bad with it. Been to the docors today as ive had an ear infection and it started to bleed this morning so while I was there I managed to ask her about a few of my other worries so ive had my fix for today lol. Im sure tomorrow will be a new worry or the same one again and that they misdiagnosed my symptoms, but oh well thats all the fun of anxiety. Do you take medication for your anxiety? I really don't want to but been chatting to my mate who has general anxiety and she says she feels so much better now shes on meds but she wasn't like us at the beginning, she just had mood swings and didn't know why. God I wish mine was that simple. Xxx

melvin
05-03-14, 17:53
Hi guys
Does anyone get the this feeling like your mind won't focus on what's going off around you its like sitting in a car with the windows closed if u know what I mean I can't seem to focus on what's going off outside or im not interested I some times get jealous of other people they seem to live their life they are interested in talking etc but I m not its like when people talk to me it don't register I know what's going off but I can't seem to break away from it what ever it is

MissAnxiety
05-03-14, 21:07
Yes Melvin thats how I feel and its really scary but by the look of it on here it is also really common. When im like it and out in public I always look at other people to try and see if anyone else is looking disconnected just so I don't feel so on my own. I haven't found any way yet of bringing my way out of it, I just have to wait till it passes. Normally by the time I get home I feel much better, or if im at home I go out to try and take my mind off it but it doesn't really work. X

anxious_thoughts
08-03-14, 21:42
I know IBS is really common with anxiety I suffer with it and the last few days ive been worked up ive been really bad with it. Been to the docors today as ive had an ear infection and it started to bleed this morning so while I was there I managed to ask her about a few of my other worries so ive had my fix for today lol. Im sure tomorrow will be a new worry or the same one again and that they misdiagnosed my symptoms, but oh well thats all the fun of anxiety. Do you take medication for your anxiety? I really don't want to but been chatting to my mate who has general anxiety and she says she feels so much better now shes on meds but she wasn't like us at the beginning, she just had mood swings and didn't know why. God I wish mine was that simple. Xxx

Hmm, I didn't know anxiety could really cause IBS. I don't even feel that anxious tbh! I'm glad you went to the doctors, I wish I had the power to push myself..I'm always too scared. I should go for these stomach pains.

I'm not on any medications for anxiety, but I'm curious. Would you go on them? I kind of want to but worried of course about side effects. And lol, I know what you mean :( xx

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 22:01
I'm sure you already have…., but have you checked this out, Jenn?
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/ibs/

anxious_thoughts
08-03-14, 22:08
Yes, I've checked that out. Tons of alike symptoms, hoping that's all it is. Thanks :)

MissAnxiety
08-03-14, 23:58
Hi Jen sorry I worded it wrong you don't get IBS through anxiety, but when you are stressed or your anxiety is bad it triggers the IBS and makes it flare up the doc said to me it was through the stress hormones and it is true in my case. No im not on medication and really don't want to go down that road. I want to cure my anxiety and I think with tablets you may feel better but it's just covering it up I want to feel better and know that I am really better not just that the anxiety is being suppressed if that makes sense. Ive spoke to some people on here and one of my friends who also has anxiety and she swears by them, she thinks im mad not going on them, yet when I was at her house the other day she was on the phone to the doctor wanting to up her medication, I think after a while you can kind of become immune to it and then need a stronger dose and then if you do come off them I worry the anxiety will come back worse than ever. Its just my opinion and I might be totally wrong but medication is something I really don't want unless I get to the point where I can not cope any more. I got my eye test soon so hopefully that will put my mind at rest with the dreaded problem. How have you been? Also when my IBS is bad I take peppermint capsules and they seem to help. :hugs: xx