PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus shot reaction?!

kitkat96
02-03-14, 01:36
I got a tetanus shot the other day in my upper left arm, and since then my arm's been sore and a bit numb and tingly....plus it feels sorta 'weaker' than my other arm....could I be having some kind of reaction?! :unsure:

nomorepanic
02-03-14, 01:37
Sounds normal to me

Jamesf321
02-03-14, 01:54
I had the exact same thing 3 week's ago as the story go's i was cleaning a old rotten shed up that had been blown over due to England's terrible weather
anyway i stood on a nail went to A&E for my booster and i expected it to hurt sort of like a anesthetic dose you know a quick burn and it's done but nope, about a hour after the injection your arm will ache and feel strange my guess is it's because it's injected into a muscle, but yeh it's normal my friend should clear up in 1-2 weeks :) :yesyes:

harasgenster
02-03-14, 01:58
My understanding is that vaccinations these days tend to be synthetic - you have not been injected with tetanus, basically, but simply something that your antibodies can react to in order to build resistance to tetanus. Otherwise, I believe they give you a shot of a dead virus, so the virus does nothing but your antibodies do.

I think you might just be focusing on your arm because you know you've had a shot.

kitkat96
02-03-14, 19:32
Thanks for your replies :hugs:
My arm's still sore and feeling really weird, but I'm just trying to tell myself it's all in my head :wacko:

Fishmanpa
02-03-14, 20:53
Sounds normal to me

Yep.... totally

Positive thoughts

Lilharry
03-03-14, 08:38
Yep, this is normal - has happened both times I've had tetanus shots - has felt like I've had a dead arm for about a week after. It's because they inject it into your muscle, rather than a vein and the muscle can become irritated and sore. Don't worry about it.

anthrokid
03-03-14, 11:28
Every time I get a shot my arm aches for a good week, at the least. And don't even get me started on the bruising :P

unsure_about_this
03-03-14, 21:39
Sounds normal

I remember last year I had to have two injections the same day (one in each arm) one was a booster for something. and the other for some reason my medical file said I needed a MMR booster I am pretty sure I had one done when I was in secondary school, but was not going to argue with the nurse. I think since than I have felt worried have an extra dose.