PDA

View Full Version : Job interview Tuesday. Anxious just thinking about it.

Worried_Male
02-03-14, 19:24
Ok so I suffer from health anxiety and this has spread to other areas such as certain social situations, namely job interviews.

I'm trying to get back into work and have a job interview on Tuesday. Just thinking about it makes my heart race.

The thought of walking into the unknown and being under scrutiny terrifies me.

My last interview I stuttered, couldn't make eye contact and sweated alot.

I really want this job, but know I will probably balls it up again because of my anxiety.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm thinking about taking half a nytol tablet to knock the edge off a bit.

snapshot1975
02-03-14, 19:57
I'm new here, hope my comment is OK

You say 'certain social situations', ie where there is pressure of expectation ?
It may be daft, but would being formal in front of a mirror help you 'learn' to maintain eye contact ? ( Or the old favourite, imagine the interviewer is sat on the loo ! )

Good luck, I too have an interview Tuesday, but I am already in employment, I just need a better role for me. I suspect I will not be successful, for different reasons to your fear, have you told the company why you have been out of work ? Could they be understanding and accomodating ?

MRS STRESS ED
02-03-14, 21:00
Ok so I suffer from health anxiety and this has spread to other areas such as certain social situations, namely job interviews.

I'm trying to get back into work and have a job interview on Tuesday. Just thinking about it makes my heart race.

The thought of walking into the unknown and being under scrutiny terrifies me.

My last interview I stuttered, couldn't make eye contact and sweated alot.

I really want this job, but know I will probably balls it up again because of my anxiety.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm thinking about taking half a nytol tablet to knock the edge off a bit.
Dont see it as they are going to scrutinise you ,that will set off your anxiety before you go see it as positive thing because if it all goes well you will have a job and if you dont get it your no worse off than you was before you went ,stay focused and positive you can do it they are there to employ you and thats got to be a good thing ,wishing you well x

gypcyg
02-03-14, 22:18
I get nervous at interviews so I apply for jobs I don't want for the practice and then when I am interviewed for a job I do want I am much more confident. Sorry this doesn't help in this situation but maybe next time it will.

I'd try practicing and remember to try and lead the Interview - take the questions where you want them to go.

Good luck.

Ryan92
03-03-14, 02:14
Hi, I know what you're going through :) everyone gets nervous and can make mistakes at interviews, its perfectly normal and employers would rather see you nervous than over confident, cocky and loud. Try and feel positive, I know its tough Ive been through it too :). Some suggestions I found to help calm and relax someone before an interview were to listen to calm music, deep breathing (inhale with nose and exhale with mouth) the morning of the interview rinse your face with cold water this will hopefully make you feel refreshed :D check online for other ways and find one that suits you. I have anxiety issues too, GAD. Good luck with your interview :yahoo:

Worried_Male
03-03-14, 13:04
Thank you for the replies.

I feel slightly less anxious today. I'm just going to prepare best I can and go in there with the mindset that even if I do embarrass myself I'll never see them again, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks for your help.