PDA

View Full Version : I went to MEXICO!

jayjoe18
02-03-14, 19:33
Hi guys, not been on here for a while but just wanted to drop in to share my news... I MADE IT TO MEXICO!!!!

Some of you may have seen my previous threads regarding my anxiety about going away, I was nearly at the point of cancelling it got that bad..... but I actually made it! I'm so proud :D haha.

It wasn't exactly plain sailing either, we were on the runway ready to set off when the pilot smelt something coming from the engine, so we had to abort take off! Luckily we hadn't yet taken off, I dread to think what would have happened, we never got back on that plane as it was not able to be repaired.

I then had to deal with 10 hour delays stuck in the busy airport with all those people (which should of made my anxiety unbearable but for some strange reason I actually coped) then we had the 11 hour flight, which again, should of made my anxiety terrible but I was fine! I can't quite believe that I managed it. I went on to have the most AMAZING week in Mexico and I mean amazing! I wish we stayed longer! I had NO ANXIETY and felt so free and happy, I haven't felt like that in years. It was absolutely bliss, I was just like my old self :yesyes:

There was so much I tackled there that would normally be impossible due to anxiety, I went with 2 other people outside of my family and outside of my comfort zone. I ate around people and was constantly in social environments. I dealt with the whole germ situation (using cups etc, not washing hands all the time) I used the toilet in public places, I made conversations, spoke to strangers, took an hours trip out (twice!) which would normally make me panic incase I needed the loo while travelling. I zip wired across the jungle over tigers (and made it to the highest zip line in latin America, and only 2 others managed that!) I swam with fish and snorkelled (something that made me panic before) there was a shark scare on the beach, I held a python.... and so much more! I just feel like I conquered the world, even just by getting there and being around people.

I just don't understand how I did all that! I really think it must have something to do with the fight or flight. Usually I would be able to leave, but because of the situation, I was forced to stay, no other options, so I had to fight.

The crazy thing is, before going I thought I would feel utter relief to come home but I was actually so sad, I didn't want to come back just yet, even though home is my safe place. I cried a little once home as I then realised how miserable I am with my life here. The holiday really opened my eyes to what I've been missing and how great my life could be.

I just felt so at peace and loved being around nature and the beach, I really feel like an environment like that would do wonders for me. I just don't suite city life! I wish I could live there!

I feel on top of the world and so much more confident now since returning, although my anxiety is back a little now home, I do feel that I can start to try more things and build on the progress I made over there.

Onwards and upwards I hope! :yahoo:

Spondoolicks
02-03-14, 19:58
What a fantastic post. Well done you on all accounts. Sounds like you had the time of your life :)

MRS STRESS ED
02-03-14, 20:29
Well done sounds like you done amazing ,its supprising what you can do when you have to so pleased for you x :D

KLP
02-03-14, 20:47
When's the next trip?

Fishmanpa
02-03-14, 20:50
Great post! An inspiration that indeed, one can stuff the Dragon in his cave and live life as it was intended!

Positive thoughts

IrishLondon
02-03-14, 20:55
Great post. So good to hear stories like this.

Annie0904
02-03-14, 21:12
You really did 'feel the fear and do it anyway' A BIG well done to you! I am so pleased to read your thread and all that you have achieved :yahoo:

Col
02-03-14, 22:26
Great when Autopilot finally does turn up to work. Xxxx:winks:

nomorepanic
02-03-14, 23:06
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Tanner40
02-03-14, 23:28
Awesome post. So glad that you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing your success with us.

jayjoe18
06-03-14, 13:01
Thanks guys! Yes it is suprising what you can achieve when you have no other option but to fight and I didn't even take the diazepam prescribed either :D There's hope for all of us, you can definitely beat anxiety if you push yourself enough and build on that confidence (which is what I'm going to do now) Thanks everyone for your kind words, much appreciated :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

When's the next trip?

I was already planning my return to Mexico within the first few days of being there haha! I had been putting off my dream trip to Iceland to chase the aurora borealis for my 21st... well now I'm booking that asap!!! :yahoo:

Catherine S
06-03-14, 13:37
What a great post. Sometimes I think what we think of as our 'safe place' can just be enabling the anxiety to continue, as in..if we feel so ill in our own home we are bound to feel even worse out of it, yet when we do venture out we are nearly always surprised at just how strong we really are. Well done you :)

ISB

jayjoe18
06-03-14, 14:58
What a great post. Sometimes I think what we think of as our 'safe place' can just be enabling the anxiety to continue, as in..if we feel so ill in our own home we are bound to feel even worse out of it, yet when we do venture out we are nearly always surprised at just how strong we really are. Well done you :)

ISB

Yes I totally agree with that, it does enable the anxiety it's just hard to get out of that safe place sometimes but when you do it's totally worth it.. I am always suprised at how well I do cope when pushed to!

unsure_about_this
07-03-14, 17:11
Glad you enjoyed Mexico, me and my parents have been three times. I don't like airport delays, I remember when I was younger around 12 and sister 10. I think it was, we were delayed in Greece for about 5 hours, and it was not much fun.

PanchoGoz
07-03-14, 17:24
I envy you JayJoe! Hoping to do lots of travelling this year with the boyfee, I might get addicted!

jayjoe18
07-03-14, 18:39
Glad you enjoyed Mexico, me and my parents have been three times. I don't like airport delays, I remember when I was younger around 12 and sister 10. I think it was, we were delayed in Greece for about 5 hours, and it was not much fun.

Wow! 3 times? I'm so jealous! I really really really want to go back! I miss it so much and I was only there 2 weeks ago! I will definitely go back, if I could I'd go there every holiday :roflmao:

No It wasn't fun at all but thank god I had the anxiety under control, 10+ hour delays + anxiety would have been unbearable!

I envy you JayJoe! Hoping to do lots of travelling this year with the boyfee, I might get addicted!

That sounds amazing Pancho, I envy you! I would love to do that too, maybe I'll have to do more travelling too :yesyes:

Tessar
07-03-14, 22:01
I absolutely love it jayjoe. What a brilliant achievement and so good to hear how great this has made you feel. When you finally get to face the fear.... It's such a relief to find out the fear really was worse than the thing itself. And so good of you to share your feelings and excitement too because knowing people who have been in such a difficult place such as you, to then go & do something amazing, is inspirational to others. You are an inspiration. Much of what you described would be up there on my list of things I would hate to have to deal with but you did it. You really did!!!!!!!

jayjoe18
25-03-14, 18:12
I absolutely love it jayjoe. What a brilliant achievement and so good to hear how great this has made you feel. When you finally get to face the for.... It's such a relief to find out the fear really was worse than the thing itself. And so good of you to share your feelings and excitement too because knowing people who have been in such a difficult place such as you, to then go & do something amazing, is inspirational to others. You are an inspiration. Much of what you described would be up there on my list of things I would hate to have to deal with but you did it. You really did!!!!!!!

Aww thanks so much Tessar for your kind words, made my day :) xx

Tessar
26-03-14, 20:29
Thanku too jayjoe as adding your comment made me smile :-)

ohwell123
28-03-14, 09:45
you went loco in acapulco