PDA

View Full Version : Road To Recovery - Beat the Bottle

Chester
03-03-14, 11:34
After about a year and a bit of drinking and having my head in the sand I took a step and saw my GP this morning.

Sat down and in my best non serious jokey dark humour way explained about my drinking (about a bottle of wine a night plus the odd top up) and that I was concerned about the cost on my health (and financially about £168 a month if you take £6 as an average)

I never really thought about how dependent I'd become, it became routine. Watching a movie, grab a bottle. Friends round, grab a bottle. Having a bath, grab a bottle. It was like as regular as a morning coffee.

The GP was very understanding and not at all judgemental. He offered advice leaflet, a telephone counselling, a face to face counsellor or Alcoholics Anonymous. He went in depth about the effect of alcohol on the brain, anxiety and general health. Stuff that I kind of dismissed in my head as 'mother knows best malarkey' but now I realise its not great

I opted for the face to face counsellor option and I'm hoping this can be a big step.

I don't want to give up alcohol but I'd like to go to normal occasional drinking (Christmas or once a week) I feel I have the mental strength to do it, but if thats not possible then I'll give up because well, I have to.

I'd encourage anyone who thinks 'ah its just a few glasses' to speak to their GP or other professional and get some help. You're not an alcoholic, your not labelled, you are just struggling with a part of your life. You wouldn't leave an open sore untreated would you?

blue moon
03-03-14, 11:42
Good on you Chester,you should always listen to your mother..lol I have 2 sons and they like a drink (or 2) .Keep up the counselling,it does help.

Petra x

AuntieMoosie
03-03-14, 20:41
Well done Chester, be proud for taking that first step :yesyes:

We'll all be here to support you along your journey, so keep talking to us and letting us know how you're getting on.

I wish you the best of luck with it hun :hugs:

Chester
10-03-14, 23:21
Well I had my first session with a counsellor today.

Didn't start well. I was stuck in a waiting room with some serious addicts, its obvious the building is for more than alcohol problems. I kept getting pestered for money.

It was a fact finding interview to decide what help I may need.

The Counsellor had a huge go at me for drinking whilst doing CBT saying I was wasting a space and she wasn't surprised I was failing. I produced letters from my CBT therapist saying I was the most engaged and hard working client she'd had which were dismissed.

She basically lectured me for 45 minutes. I pointed out I'd always drank heavily, even before anxiety as I had a stressful job and a relationship breakdown but she was intent on focusing on how bad a person I was.

I really would like to cut down my drinking and I know I drink too much but this has completely put me off attending another session

MarkUk
11-03-14, 10:50
One of the first steps in recovery is being honest with yourself & trying not to focus the attention away from you.

I see you focusing you problems on everything but you, which just gives you the green light to give up & carry on drinking which is causing you problems by the sounds of it. Alcohol addiction is the same as any other addiction so those other people in the building are probably having the same or similar problems as you so you are all in the same boat & trying to get some help. I don't think they would intentionally have a go at you but more likely they are trying to help you see the reality of your addiction what would they gain in having a go at you ?.

I'm 20 years into recovery so know all mind games to keep on drinking so I am also not having a go but just trying to give a reality check in the hope you just might follow this through.

Best wishes

Chester
23-04-14, 15:55
One of the first steps in recovery is being honest with yourself & trying not to focus the attention away from you.

Best wishes

Thanks Mark, I've been away getting my head sorted but what you said really rang true and I feel bad about categorising those people, realising I was deflecting away from myself.

I'm now deep into counselling sessions and I'm slowly reducing and its been easier than I thought. My stomach is certainly getting the benefit of it and I do feel a tad fresher and ,my wallet is coping a lot better too!

SarahH
23-04-14, 17:05

I see you focusing you problems on everything but you, which just gives you the green light to give up & carry on drinking which is causing you problems by the sounds of it. Alcohol addiction is the same as any other addiction so those other people in the building are probably having the same or similar problems as you so you are all in the same boat & trying to get some help. I don't think they would intentionally have a go at you but more likely they are trying to help you see the reality of your addiction what would they gain in having a go at you ?.

I'm 20 years into recovery so know all mind games to keep on drinking so I am also not having a go but just trying to give a reality check in the hope you just might follow this through.

Best wishes

Chester, Mark is right..... good luck with the counselling if that does not work AA is another option.

Sarah