PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety triggered by my cat

violet33
03-03-14, 13:13
I have a lot of health anxiety, some of which is related to mild headaches , sinus , stomach. & ibs issues & i have 3 cats. They're all very sweet & I'm
Very attached to all of them. One of my cats is EXTREMELY STUBBORN & REPEATEDLY does mischievous things I don't want him doing. This causes a LOT of stress for me, which in turn triggers anxiety, which in turn causes physical symptoms , which then triggers more anxiety. I CANNOT get rid of cat . I'm too attached to him . I don't know how to handle this & it's been going on a long time. I think I'm posting in right forum since this situation does trigger physical symptoms causing health anxiety. Does anyone have any ideas how I can manage this as stressors do trigger anxiety. & it escalates? Please don't suggest giving up cat as that isn't an option for me. That would just cause sorrow for me. Please respond as I could really use some feedback. Thank You

Fishmanpa
03-03-14, 13:19
Look up "My Cat From Hell". It's a TV show on Animal Planet. This guy is a "cat whisperer" for lack of a better word and helps people with problem cats. You may gain some valuable tips on how to help change and control your cat's behavior. There are some episodes on Youtube I've seen.

Good luck and positive thoughts

NotCool
03-03-14, 14:52
Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Cat-from-Biting-and-Scratching

The most useful method, proven effective, could be seen as crude, but it's damn effective - the spray bottle/water pistol method. If that doesn't help you change the deviant behaviour of your cat, nothing will.

Fishmanpa
03-03-14, 16:06
Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Cat-from-Biting-and-Scratching

The most useful method, proven effective, could be seen as crude, but it's damn effective - the spray bottle/water pistol method. If that doesn't help you change the deviant behaviour of your cat, nothing will.

This would be a good subject for the Pets/Animals forum here.

Being the owner of a very well adjusted and social cat, I can speak from experience there are more effective ways to deal with unwanted unwanted/bad behavior than the spray bottle and some are mentioned in that article. A cat will not understand other than fear why they're being squirted. A cat isn't being defiant as much as it's just being a cat and reacting to stimulus which makes it feel afraid and/or insecure and thus it acts out it's fear and insecurity.

Positive thoughts

Lin71
03-03-14, 18:44
Hi Violet

Sorry you're going through this but just want to say good for you for not wanting to give up on your cat! So many people see them as disposable and 'get rid' of them at the slightest behavioural problem :weep:

Cats behave in a certain way for a reason, it's all about getting inside their heads and seeing the world from their perspective to try and understand what's triggering the unwanted behaviour.

Please try visiting the website catchat.org. They have a forum for cats health and behaviour, and the members very friendly and extremely helpful, they will likely come up with lots of suggestions to help.

Hope you and your cat get to live in harmony together very soon!

Lilharry
03-03-14, 21:00
I second "My Cat From Hell". It's a great show and I've had a look at the website which is also helpful. There are lots of things you can do. One of the major things the guy on the show does is make sure the cat owner plays with their cat every day. This means that the cat is using up its energy and will be calmer. It's also a nice bonding time. So get some toys and play with the cat every day to tire it out.

Althea
03-03-14, 21:06
Yeah, the two biggest ones are playing a lot with the cat and making sure, especially with three cats, that there are lots of places, especially high places, for the cat to sit undisturbed.

anthrokid
04-03-14, 09:05
'My Cat From Hell' is fantastic. It's really helped both my partner and I understand our kitten and help give her what she needs. We find that she only misbehaves when we have been doing something wrong (e.g. not playing with her enough, not leaving her scratching posts/toys in lots of accessible places, etc). Depending on what he is doing there could be many really simple explanations for his behaviour.

violet33
15-03-14, 20:40
I got a lot of useful info here on cats. I REFUSE to give up my cat ! He's very sweet. Just STUBBORN ! But I would not give him up. I'm going to check out this info . Thank You!

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-14, 21:03
Perhaps on top of dealing with your cat, take the CBT line by trying to change your response to the misbehaviour which will alter your higher state of emotions to the situation.

Maybe working on staying calm and generally relaxing will help towards this. Try things like breath control techniques, calming method, progressive muscle relaxation and Mindfulness meditation.

So, tackle it from the practical angle that others have said but work on retraining your reactions which might help your anxiety issues in general. At least if your cat wont behave, you reduce your response to it.

Fishmanpa
15-03-14, 23:07
Perhaps on top of dealing with your cat, take the CBT line by trying to change your response to the misbehaviour which will alter your higher state of emotions to the situation.

Maybe working on staying calm and generally relaxing will help towards this. Try things like breath control techniques, calming method, progressive muscle relaxation and Mindfulness meditation.

So, tackle it from the practical angle that others have said but work on retraining your reactions which might help your anxiety issues in general. At least if your cat wont behave, you reduce your response to it.

That's actually a really good point. Animals sense our moods and stress levels and the cat could also be reacting to that. I know when I was very ill, my Pixie Bob laid with me and was always within eyeshot. He was a great comfort and brought me much comfort during my struggle. They have a sixth sense and know us better than we give them credit for.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-14, 23:41
That's actually a really good point. Animals sense our moods and stress levels and the cat could also be reacting to that. I know when I was very ill, my Pixie Bob laid with me and was always within eyeshot. He was a great comfort and brought me much comfort during my struggle. They have a sixth sense and know us better than we give them credit for.

Positive thoughts

My dog is the same. If Im having a bad day, he spends more time with me. If Im struggling with energy levels he wants to play with me more as if to say "come on, get up and have some fun". Other people though dont notice.

Have you seen how animal therapy is helping people, particularily children? In the UK there are now companion dogs for terminally ill people or the mentally disabled which I think is a great idea!

Some soldiers have told stories of recovery dogs when they returned with missing limbs. I remember one keeping the dog after discharge. He said he brought him back from deep depression and suicidal thoughts. I think it was on a programme on tv giving awards to animals late last year.

Round in circles
16-03-14, 01:12
My cat drives me absolutely spare sometimes, other times he's good as gold, curled up on my lap. I spent 2 years with the arms and bottom half of my sofa covered in tin foil, I kid you not. People would give me funny looks, but it's saved me from having giant bare patches like my last sofa got. The foil is gone now and I still catch him having a go now and then, but it's not nearly so often.

His latest game involves diving at, and eating any paper that comes out the printer.. Oh what fun that is.. I did shout at him the first time as he shot across the room and gave me the fright of my life. Now he gets shut out the room when I do any printing.

I've tried things like spray bottles and foil/dry rice on counter tops, but in all honesty prevention is far better than trying to train it out of my cat. He's very headstrong, very playful and a whole heap of mischief!

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-14, 02:19
My cat drives me absolutely spare sometimes, other times he's good as gold, curled up on my lap. I spent 2 years with the arms and bottom half of my sofa covered in tin foil, I kid you not. People would give me funny looks, but it's saved me from having giant bare patches like my last sofa got. The foil is gone now and I still catch him having a go now and then, but it's not nearly so often.

His latest game involves diving at, and eating any paper that comes out the printer.. Oh what fun that is.. I did shout at him the first time as he shot across the room and gave me the fright of my life. Now he gets shut out the room when I do any printing.

I've tried things like spray bottles and foil/dry rice on counter tops, but in all honesty prevention is far better than trying to train it out of my cat. He's very headstrong, very playful and a whole heap of mischief!

Ah, I think I can diagnose that. Its clear that he feels threatened by your relationship with Mr Shredder! ha ha...