PDA

View Full Version : lrussell12

lrussell12
03-03-14, 14:53
I have not seen a dentist in over 10 years. I am terrified of them. I need to have dental work done due to gum infections and pain. I have been waking up with panic attacks because of this fear for the last 3 months. I cannot get up enough courage to make the call. I have discussed this with my family doctor and he has given me 2mg of Valium (which I have not had enough courage to try).
I'm ashamed of these feelings of panic and fear.
Will the Valium really help calm my panic attacks? I'm afraid that when I get to the dentist office I will have a complete breakdown. How far in advance before my appointment should I take the Medicine? My doctor also said that I could take 2 pills (4mg).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Terrified of the dentist

ankietyjoe
03-03-14, 16:08
Personally I wouldn't take the Valium, in case it works. Because if it does you'll be back for more.

I would book the dentist appointment and explain that you suffer from chronic anxiety. Most dentists are used to dealing with this as it's very common.

When you get there, explain that if you want them to stop you'll put a hand up or something.

It's actually worse beforehand than once you're there in my experience :)

Fishmanpa
03-03-14, 17:29
Your doctor prescribed it and 2mg is a very low dose. If he felt taking it would become an issue, he wouldn't have done so. While ankietyjoe has a point that one can become dependent, it's not a common thing for most people and it can be beneficial in helping to calm your nerves. If used properly, it should help you deal with the anxiety about the dentist.

Fear of dentists and the anxiety related to dentists visits is somewhat universal. Heck, I don't have that issue but it doesn't lessen the fact I don't like going ;) Dentists are well aware of peoples phobias of them and deal with many who have anxiety. Just explain your fears and they will do everything they can to help make you comfortable.

Positive thoughts

SarahH
03-03-14, 19:34
I agree with Fishmanpa...take the Valium... it will be fine:)

Dissolved girl
03-03-14, 20:01
Hi there

I agree, take the meds an hour or so before the appointment.
I take valium before i see the dentist too. It will help.

You can't get addicted if you take it every now and then

Good Luck x

Althea
03-03-14, 20:13
There are also dentists who specialize in fearful patients--sounds like you might be more comfortable with one of those if you can get to one.