PDA

View Full Version : Hi and Help!

matt1981
25-11-06, 23:19
Hiya im new aswell im 25, male and from the UK. I have been a 'worrier' all my life but these last 12-18 months I have had episodes of extreme anxiety which led to some pretty horrible thoughts about myself. I started a college course in september which I was looking forward to all summer until about 2 or 3 weeks before I started then I started to really really dread it to the point where I couldnt eat, think or concentrate. I started the course and I felt worse lol! then gradually I started to feel a bit better and at times really happy! Then half term came and I got really stressed it was horrid! But I spoke to my therapist on the phone, bought a book (Overcoming Anxiety by Helen Kennerley which I highly recommend) challenged my thoughts as best I could then when I went back I went out drinking with all the students at halloween which made me feel great. Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I started to feel anxious again and at the moment its really bad. I have a good time at college but I keep thinking "what if its not the right course?" "Im not 100% so I must leave!" I think deep down I dont want to leave but I can't get rid of these thoughts and because I am so stressed It brings up all of my other thoughts which really stresses me out and makjes me feel worse. I dont take any meds I just have CBT but I am thinking maybe I should take something just to alleviate the physical symptoms and keep having therapy and counselling to deal with the psychological symptoms what do you al think and what are your experiences I think I could help you cos iv read a few other stories and a lot of you are worse than me so i really think we can help each other.

trac67
26-11-06, 01:01
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Lindalou64
26-11-06, 04:27
WELCOME MATT..........HOPE YA FIND LOTS OF INFO AND ADVISE ON HERE TC OF YASELF........LINDA [8D]

honeybee3939
26-11-06, 10:30
Hi Matt

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Granny Primark
26-11-06, 10:37
Hi matt,

Welcome to the site. No matter what your problem is there is always someone on this site that can relate to it. So im sure youl get some great advice and support from the members of nmp.

Take care
LYNN xx

manmoor
26-11-06, 11:11
Hi Matt,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

sarah1984
26-11-06, 20:33
Hi Matt!
Welcome to NMP. I'm a uni student who started suffering from generalized anxiety disorder in March and had to come home from uni, which I loved and miss so much. I'm sorry to hear you're having second thoughts about your course-have you got a mentor or some form of counselling at college who you could share your difficulties with and talk things through? I'm glad the CBT is helping, but perhaps you're right in thinking you may need some extra support from meds, often a combination of the two will do the trick. I'd advise you to ask your doc to put you through to a psychiatrist, who'd be the expert in finding the right med to suit you. There are natural remedies that can help like Kalms and Bach Rescue Remedy, but it sounds as if you're having some real difficulties with intrusive thoughts, so maybe something stronger's needed. Please don't drop out of college-I'm sure you'd regret it once you start feeling better and anxiety disorders can drive people into making rash decisions.
All the best
Sarah

matt1981
26-11-06, 20:58
Thanks Sarah I am really sorry to hear that you had to come home from uni. Its so frustrating because when I am in college I tend to have a good time there even though I dont find it relevant (Nazi Germany I wanna do psychology ffs) If I found this site 3 weeks ago I wouldve thought "wow this used to be me!" I am receiving counselling from college and she's really good I am seeing her tomorrow morning. I am having CBT but only about once a month. I have a self help book a relaxation CD and I have ordered a book called Feel the Fear. I am thinking of taking Kalms and see if that works. Maybe I need to organise my treatment it does tend to be a little scattered. Thanks again for your help and I really hope you return to university or you do something else which makes you happy. I will not do anything until I am a little more chilled out!

mooks
26-11-06, 21:01
Matt

Welcome..you're in the right place...Ive been a suffer since your age..all I can advise is dont refuse meds...they will help you stabilise and give you a'window' in which to explore other avenues ...
Dont give up on Uni....get medical help even if its for 6 months and keep up the therapy...you'll be ok
xx

bjaques
26-11-06, 22:50
Hi Matt,

Not sure if this is related to your experiences of anxiety in any way shape or form.. but my uni story seems to make sense having read your post!! The point is at the end, but will have to set the scene otherwise wont make sense!!.

2 weeks after starting uni I was a victim of an aggravated burglary. Because I was a bit older when I went to uni (22) I had been placed with 3rd year students instead of freshers so I found myself in a house with a group of people who had already established themselves in a new town (Newcastle).

Within 2 weeks of leaving home for the first time my new housemates had lost things that they held precious to themselves, my face was somewhat larger and a different colour, and the local CID were on the verge of placing four 19 year olds in prison for the next 4 years.

I dropped out of uni 3 months later

As it happens I have managed to recover from never finishing my degree. It has not cost the opportunity of any jobs, but I definitely have to fight harder for not having done it. Ultimately if I could have finished that would have been great, and I would encourage you to try to make sure that you do!!

Best of luck!!

Ben

matt1981
26-11-06, 23:14
Thanks for all your comments you have all been really helpful and I appreciate it very much. I am going to stay at college for the time being at least until Christmas. I do not have a computer at home only at my mums and I am only there at weekends so all f you have a good week and ill be backl online on friday.. Take care and don't worry too much :)

LickeyEndBlues
27-11-06, 16:26
Hi Matt

Welcome to this great site and as you have found out, you are not alone in here.

There is plenty of support advice and help, along with many "psychologists" who wil happily discus Nazi Germany with you!! lol

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?