PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing under tongue

Seans113
03-03-14, 23:17
Hi all,

I've been staying off the forums and been receiving help to treat the HA, which is going well, but I've hit a bit of an obstacle.

I have a fear of oral cancer, and even though I know Fishman will be here shortly to dismiss my fears ;), I have a slight worry going on.

For the past week or so my mouth has been feeling "off", sore throat here and there, dull pain in the jaw area, etc etc.

I've dismissed it as wisdom tooth issues seeing as I have to get two out, which I am doing Friday. My dentist gave me a round of amoxicillin, which I have completed.

But last night I felt a weird tiny ball shaped thing in my mouth. The best I can describe it is that it's located where the floor of my mouth and the back of my gums meet. It's very tiny, kinda hard/rubbery, and I can sort of flick it with my tongue. It is also under the surface.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it's small but of course my anxiety kicked in.

As I mentioned, I'm getting my teeth out this Friday, so I will ask the dentist if it is still there, and I will ask my gf tonight to see if she has one too and it is just normal tongue anatomy, but for now I thought I'd ask the boards!

Thank you for your help!

MRS STRESS ED
03-03-14, 23:23
Hi Sean I got the same thing at the top of my mouth ,near my gum I went the doctors he said it was a cyst and the dentist wasnt worried about it go get it checked im sure you br fine x

Lilharry
03-03-14, 23:27
I've had things like you describe and (sorry if this is TMI) I've popped them and fluid has come out and they've gone away! Sorry for being gross, but I've never worried about them before - they've always just gone away.

Fishmanpa
04-03-14, 00:11
Probably nothing to be concerned about. Have your dentist take a look.

Positive thoughts

anthrokid
04-03-14, 06:49
I actually think this is just normal anatomy. I have the same as you describe, and it has been there for as long as I can remember. I was actually moving it around with my tongue as I read your post. Honestly, I've never considered asking a doctor what it is because I just assume it is supposed to be there, haha. If you're really concerned ask your gp about it, or even a dentist.

Seans113
04-03-14, 22:49
Hey everyone thanks for your input

Yeah I don't think it's a cyst bc it's under the skin and I tried pushing it to pop but it seems like it's too hard

I spoke to my dentist on the phone and he didn't seem too concerned but said he'd check it out but my appointment got pushed to Monday (of course) so I'm a little more on edge now.

It doesn't seem like it got any bigger which is good. And it doesn't cause me any discomfort except when I play around with it it kinda gets sore.

I figured it was normal anatomy but my gf doesn't have it. But then again we are all different! But now I know someone else has felt it haha

I'm hoping it's nothing. Or if it is something that needs to go, hopefully it's benign.

The placement makes it so hard for me not to flick it with my tongue!

MRS STRESS ED
04-03-14, 22:54
Good luck sean wishing you well try not to worry x

anthrokid
05-03-14, 12:16
Ahahaha, I was seriously actually flicking mine with my tongue AGAIN before coming across the reply to this post and realising what I was doing. It makes me wonder how much I actually do flick around this little ball thing. It really does sound like the exact same thing. Try not to worry - as I said, I've had mine for as long as I remember, so I'd be dead by now if it were something serious!

Seans113
05-03-14, 23:26
Hahaha does yours ever get sore from flicking it too much? (Gross I know)

A quick update: My gf ended up feeling something similar and let me feel and it is similar to mine but WAYYYY smaller. So maybe its a salivary gland or something?

Ugh this wait is driving me crazy. I am freaking out a little more because I feel a small ball like lump under my jaw (which I've also had for a while) and the two of them together automatically equals Oral Cancer in my mind.

My dentist appointment can't come any sooner!!!

Seans113
07-03-14, 23:59
Hey all,

Still waiting for my dentist appt Monday

Just wanted to reup the thread and say that I have been feeling weird symptoms of discomfort or tingling around my mouth. And I'm really concerned that it is cancer mixed with the ball I found.

Does anyone ever experience tingling in the mouth, chin, or lips?
It comes and goes but it has been happening for a couple days now

I also noticed I have tiny balls in my bottom lip... But I think everyone has this

anthrokid
08-03-14, 01:30
Tingling in the mouth/chin/lips is actually quite a common anxiety symptom caused by hyperventilation. Given that you are anxious this is quite possibly the cause for your tingling sensations. You may be breathing faster than normal without realising. Consider this - try breathing in for 9 seconds and out for 11. If you struggle to breathe in for more than 4 seconds and out for more than 6, chances are you are hyperventilating. I remember the first time someone asked me to do this and I couldn't breathe in for more than 3 seconds or out for more than 5! Turns out I was always hyperventilating - my normal breathing had become hyperventilation. If this is the case it's just a matter of practising breathing slower and deeper, which can take a while to master, haha. Re: the balls in bottom lip - sounds absolutely normal to me. I have bumps/balls in the bottom and top lips.

Seans113
08-03-14, 02:08
Definitely have been trying to breathe better.
It sucks bc I feel as though my overall anxiety was getting better until I found this thing under my tongue :(

Hopefully I'll get a good answer on Monday and continue to seek help for the anxiety after

Thanks anthro for being so helpful :)

Earthmum
08-03-14, 06:26
Hi I actually posted the same thing as you last week, mine is located where yours is too and I had it for a week then it turned into a bubble and popped, my dentist spoke to me over the phone and said she would check it but sounds like a blocked salivary gland and these things are common on the floor of the mouth and its not cancer and to not worry!
The tingling sensations can be due to anxiety as I get that on and off don't worry about it too much it will eventually disappear .

Seans113
11-03-14, 00:29
Went in to the dentist today.

Turns out the dentist thinks it's salivary related and briefed me on what those are.

The ball has also gotten much much smaller since last week which I figured is a good sign.

Just wanted to update!

anthrokid
13-03-14, 00:25
Good to hear :)