PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Sickness?

Wintear
04-03-14, 00:50
I'm sure we've all heard about the leaking power plant in Fukushima. Well, yesterday, I ate a tuna sandwich. A TUNA sandwich. What if the tuna I consumed was radioactive? A few hours after eating it, I felt sick-ish. My nose ran like a waterfall and I started to feel feverish. When I blew my nose, there was a small dab of blood in the toilet paper. I was fine beforehand. So, I put two and two together in my head and now I'm worrying myself into an Anxiety attack.

I still feel out of it, slightly feverish, and I'm dealing with a headache on top of that.

Thoughts/opinions?

nomorepanic
04-03-14, 00:56
Not possible at all - you are fine

Wintear
04-03-14, 01:13
I sure hope so.

Althea
04-03-14, 02:28
Didn't you have your dental work today, Wintear? How'd that go?

Wintear
04-03-14, 02:56
I overslept >.< for some reason, my dentist wasn't there today anyways. They said he took a sick day.

I'm feeling much worse now, though. My glands are starting to hurt when I chew/swallow, I'm lightheaded, that feverish feeling is coming back, and my body's achy and stiff. I hope this has nothing to do with that sandwich yesterday...

Althea
04-03-14, 03:18
Oh, too bad! Are you rescheduled?

You don't have radiation poisoning, by the way. Aside from the fact that oceanographers say you'd have to eat 3 tons of tuna in a year to raise your risk (I'm guessing your sandwich wasn't quite that big), those aren't the symptoms of radiation poisoning.

Wintear
04-03-14, 04:23
That's a relief to hear, then. Maybe I'm just catching a cold that's going around.

I'm going to call and reschedule tomorrow morning. Now I have to work up the nerve to go in and get it over and done with all over again hahah.

Chester
04-03-14, 12:24
As others have said probably an unjustified worry (don't we all have those!)

For stattos out there

Even at very high intakes (3/4 of a pound of contaminated bluefin tuna a day) for an entire year, you’d still receive only 12% of the dose of radiation you’re exposed to during one cross-country flight from LA to New York.

Finally, according to Dr. Robert Emery at at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston says you’d need to eat 2.5 to 4 tons of tuna in a year to get a dose of cesium-137 that exceeds health limits. (3) That’s 14 to 22 pounds of tuna a day.

Wintear
04-03-14, 18:48
Thanks for the reply and numbers.

Chester
04-03-14, 19:56
ps - If you are eating 3-4 tons of tuna a day....you should get your own TV show!!

Lilharry
04-03-14, 20:51
I'm sure the tuna was fine, but sounds like you might have had a reaction to something else in the sandwich. What else was in the tuna? I have a lot of food intolerances and runny nose and tight feeling in my throat are signs I've eaten something I'm intolerant to. Not trying to freak you out or anything because food intolerances aren't usually serious, but you keep a food diary and note down how you feel after you've eaten certain things. you might see a pattern.