PDA

View Full Version : adrenaline rushes at bedtime

gregcool
04-03-14, 10:40
Hi all.i suffer with anxiety and depression and lattley at night when.in bed trying to sleep.althogh im tired i lay there and get rushes of adrenaline which stops me geeting to sleep.why am.i getting this.there is nothong on my mind im tired.it makes it hard to fall to sleep and find it very uncomftable and horrid...any advice.i had to get up and take a sleeping pill to get past it...this is something i hate ...any offers for advice

Abi-Skinner
04-03-14, 11:01
What does the adrenaline rush feel like?
For me it's like an ice cold feeling that starts in my chest then spreads out.
It used to be a trigger for panic attacks but I've learn to accept it, I just stay calm and tell myself it's just adrenaline, if I don't react it will go away. If you feel it coming on just reassure yourself its only a chemical reaction, if you accept it, stay calm and try to relax it will pass. Takes practice, but it can be done.

gregcool
04-03-14, 11:09
HI Abi..well it feels like a lift going from.the lower floor to the top floor.like im coming up on drugs or something.it rushes up from.the bottom.of my belly to the top of my head.feels like a puls of mild electric rushing up.in waves.makes it so hard to fall to sleep

Abi-Skinner
04-03-14, 17:14
I can relate to that feeling, when it comes, you have to try and ignore it, or just let it be, as the more you focus on it and try to resist it, the longer it will stick around.

I can highly recommend this guys self help MP3's/apps, they really help you relax when your mind and body is racing. The ones most useful to you would be Relax, Sleep or Don't Panic. I own them all and find them very helpful when in your situation.

http://www.withandrewjohnson.com

SarahH
04-03-14, 17:32
It helped me to realise what is happening to my body with this sensation.
Basically as you are dropping off to sleep your mind does a last second "fight or flight" response and goes into alert mode, checking everything is safe to sleep, sending a rush of adrenaline through your body.
If you are particularly stressed at the moment then it will happen more often. As your stress subsides this will stop..... mine does:)

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-14, 01:11
I can recall the adrenaline rushes I experienced whilst going onto Duloxetine. I knew what they were because I once took a combination of sports supplements that were just too strong for me and it felt the same. My chest was pumped and I felt like I needed to run very fast even screaming to release it.

I had mine upon waking for up to 8 days on the trot on the worst week and they would last no more than an hour. I remember my anxiety was very reduced but came back as it wore off.

Adrenaline reduces until you are back to normal so exercise may help but it will depend on how you feel as to whether you can do intense exercise as your chest msy be burning.

It does feel like a drug.

Is there a reason for it e.g. medication?

gregcool
05-03-14, 09:33
No reason for it.been steady on my meds for months so no change there.only happens when trying to fall to sleep

caroline-j
05-03-14, 10:29
Hi Gregcool I too experience adrenaline rush at nite. Mines only when I am highly anxious. Do u or anyone after experiencing this get weakness in the legs? I have this morning after a bad bout last night. Going to the drs later to get sleeping tablets. Fed up not being able to have a good nites sleep. Hope u get a better nite sleep tonite. t.c x

gregcool
05-03-14, 10:41
Hi Caroline.no i dnt get weekness in my legs...i have got a lot on my mind tho nowadays but this adrenaline thing has been the last couple of nights so i have taken tamazipan to get me off to sleep.the only danger there is i might get used to taking them as they stop the rush.i take 20 mg aboit half hr beforei goto bed which meens when i do goto bed im relaxed and tired.im going to try without sleeping pills tonight so i dont get dependant on them

amy_762
05-03-14, 10:50
I sometimes use Melatonin as it is natural and helps me get in a sleep cycle again. I have an issue where I will suddenly have a lot of energy before bed and want to run around and do things. Even if I've been tired all day

gregcool
05-03-14, 10:54
Prehaps you should go for a half hr walk about half hr before u goto bed.just to burn off that energy

caroline-j
05-03-14, 20:51
Hi Gregcool Thanks 4 yr reply. Been to the drs. He has given me Zopiclone tablets. Heres hoping for a better nite sleep. x

gregcool
05-03-14, 21:17
Caroline.i had zopiclone before.i took half hr before bed and bang !! I was out like a light.you will have a good night sleep..x

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-14, 01:42
Ive been on Zopiclone a few years back and they really helped me break a difficult time with the increased anxiety and insomnia from starting Citalopram.

Have they advised you how to use them? I had no real advice off my GP but I was later told to cycle them one day on one day off. I had to phase myself off them that way and it did cause me to have sleepless nights on the off days but my anxiety had reduced a bit by then. Because I had taken them daily though I did find my sleep cycle a bit off but that could be everything else as well.

They make you fall asleep but you only get what you need so sometimes it may vary. I did find though that I was wrecked and didnt even have the energy to eat for hours until they wore off but it wasnt as long when I had slept longer so maybe it was the duration they are in your system for there.

ankietyjoe
06-03-14, 09:49
I sometimes get something very similar to this, and it's more prevalent at bedtime.

I often take a couple of hours to fall asleep so I regularly end up on the sofa watching TV. Quite often if I'm watching a comedy, the laughter will overstimulate my body and I'll have to 'shake' it out but twitching my legs or something. Sounds mad right :wacko:

Other times I'll wake up from a dream (too often actually) and it'll be like my muscles are filled with caffeine or something. It's like my body has deposited pure anxiety into all my muscle fibres and the only way to get rid of it is to stretch it out.

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-14, 00:59
I get that sometimes Joe with things like TV. I think after getting to worst point of anxiety I now think it will become overexcitement and turn to anxiety or at times I cant remembet what normal excitement should feel like. Bad isnt it?

Its the adrenaline pumping and its true that you can make it dissipate with exercise quicker. Ive read that regular exercise is good for regulating this so it doesnt happen as much.

The Duloxetine side effects though, whoa, I felt like on Crank where he comes charging out of that lift, if you've seen it?