PDA

View Full Version : Will56 intro

Will56
04-03-14, 14:38
Hello to all. Just to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I've suffered with anxiety/panic attacks for all of my adult life (about 45 years) and my first panic attacks were at the end of the 1960s when there was no information or help available - I'm not sure whether panic attacks were even recognised back then.
Really, I could write a book about what's happened between then and now but won't bore you at this stage.

My main problem throughout my life has been the inability to travel more than a few miles from my home (security) on my own. Literally, I have never travelled alone anywhere for all those years and still can't do it now. I'm British but I currently live in France and can drive across Europe but only if accompanied by my wife or someone to whom I'm close or have complete confidence in.
I'd be interested to contact anyone who has similar problems.
Also, I've quite a lot of accumulated experience of anxiety/depression/panic attacks and hope that I may be able to share this with others.
Will

MrAndy
04-03-14, 15:01
Hello Will welcome to NMP :)

Catherine S
04-03-14, 16:02
Hi Will
Good to meet you. You sound like alot of us here, myself included with the travelling alone thing. But I can sometimes panic even with somebody sat next to me. I do make myself travel but its not easy and after all these years ive learned to use my own coping tools to get me through, especially with flying. I would say that I panic less as ive got older, but still hate motorways. I'm a good driver but have only ever driven on one twice in all the years of driving...its good that we have some great A-roads in UK! Even as a passenger on a motorway, I panic if we get caught up in road works etc...makes me feel trapped.

So hope we can all share our thoughts and feelings.

ISB :welcome:

SarahH
04-03-14, 16:04
:welcome:

Will56
04-03-14, 16:30
Thanks for the welcomes!

I Still Believe - thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think the travelling alone bit is a definite lack of security issue for me at least. I live in France but my two grown up daughters live in Devon. The ferry to Plymouth is about an hour and a half from where I live- then it's a 6 hour crossing - then about a two hour drive the other side. I'd love to be able to do it on my own but have got such a barrier after many years that it's difficult to imagine doing it on my own.

MRS STRESS ED
04-03-14, 16:45
hello and welcome Will glad you could join us,there are lots of lovely peeps who will support you and give you good advice