PDA

View Full Version : Medicine commercial

Keleach89
04-03-14, 15:00
Dose anyone else get as mad as I do at the commercials for anti depressants? Showing a girl that looks she is hopeless and then she takes a pill and now she is riding off into the sunset on a bicycle! Really! Yup that's exactly how that works! Maybe it is and I'm just screwed.

LunaLiuna
04-03-14, 15:04
I've never seen any commercial like that over here in the UK. Too be honest that sounds horrible, no wonder why I stopped watching TV!

Catherine S
04-03-14, 15:12
I doubt if they would show an ad like that in UK, ive never seen one to be honest and yes, sounds like it would make people who take anti-depressants even more depressed :scared15:

The most irritating ads for me are for the Always panty liners and the ads for the cream that stops us having embarrassing itching...like women don't already know about this stuff? There's no need to show them so graphically, we do know what they are for! How would men like it if every time there was an ad break in a football match, they were faced with an animated bloke scratching his nether regions!

Fishmanpa
04-03-14, 15:13
Even worse are all the side effects you hear them spew off after showing you that idyllic scenario. They don't show you her soiling her pants due to "anal leakage" do they? ;)

Pharmaceuticals are BIG business and they spend millions of dollars to get you to ask your doctor for the med as well as getting your doctor to make the med they're advertising the drug of choice.

Positive thoughts

yenool
04-03-14, 16:56
I've never seen any commercial like that over here in the UK. Too be honest that sounds horrible, no wonder why I stopped watching TV!

I don't think they are allowed to advertise directly to patients in this country... although I wouldn't be surprised if that rule is changed at some point as government/big pharma seem to be in each others pockets.

Some examples on youtube:
Seroquel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUBjO7J_UpM

Sertraline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twhvtzd6gXA

Abilify http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGymr78FtbU

TBH I'm surprised anyone would want to take anything after listening to the list of side effects!

Phuzella
04-03-14, 16:59
Oh I dunno, anal leakage sounds kinda fun:D
And before anyone jumps down my throat,that was a joke:)

Fishmanpa
04-03-14, 17:03
Oh I dunno, anal leakage sounds kinda fun:D
And before anyone jumps down my throat,that was a joke:)

That's called a "Shart" ;)

Positive thoughts

Phuzella
04-03-14, 17:07
My god are they real adverts??

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Shart lol, antibiotics do that to me:D

Fishmanpa
04-03-14, 17:25
My god are they real adverts??

Yes... many of them on TV here in the states. And not just for SSRI's. They have them for all sorts of ailments. Even in magazines, there will be full page (and several supplemental pages) ads for all kinds of medications from diabetes to heart to cancer drugs.

Positive thoughts

Phuzella
04-03-14, 17:31
Wow, we just get ads for basic stuff like painkillers and antihistamines.

Catherine S
04-03-14, 17:46
....and Tampax and vaginal thrush :blush::D