PDA

View Full Version : New to anxiety and panic attacks

sandie
26-11-06, 12:14
Hello

I've had a very stressful few months which have resulted in acute anxiety and panic attacks. My sleep has been seriously disturbed and I suffer from palpitations, chest constriction and a burning sensation in the chest.

I've been prescribed prozac (which I came off very quickly as it had me bouncing off the walls). The doctor then gave me a very small quanitity of valium followed by tamazapan to try to break the cycle. Currently on 3 x 40 mg propanalol for the palpitations, and zimavan to help me sleep at night. I've just discovered (thru this site) Bach remedy, which I took for the first time yesterday and which I think helped me have my best night for some time.

I'm currently lucky if I get 4 hours sleep per night, even with the aid of the zimavane. I think the addition of the Bach remedy and a glass of warm milk yesterday contributed to a better night. Have tried always to eat healthily - including those foods which contain tryptophan (the precursor to the body producing seratonin),

It doesn't help that I've just hit the menopause, which brings its ownset of problems/issues.

I would dearly love to get through this as naturally as possible - and I would love to hear from anybody who could help - particularly any ideas about how to improve the sleep issue.

Also, is there anybody out there using the Bach remedy who could advise if one can 'overdose' by exceeding the "4 drops 4 times a day" guidelines.

Thanks

Sandie

honeybee3939
26-11-06, 14:00
Hi Sandy,

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Sleep help
Sleep zzzzz (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5413)
insomnia, insomnia, insomnia etc.... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6002)
Sleep problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6260)
HELP! Problems with sleeping. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7144)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

manmoor
26-11-06, 14:02
Hi Sandie,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

999madmax
26-11-06, 14:27
Hi,
Im new to all this... I was previously a carer that had similar problems and now i have - Anxiety and Panic Attacks. I understand the basics but its more harder to cope with it as its me now.!

Sue K with 5
26-11-06, 14:38
Hi Sandie

Welcome to NMP !!! there is no quick fix solution to the problems we endure, it is bery much a trial and error scenario as many of us have realised.

What might work for some does not always work for others, but there are some excellent links on here which I think yiou will find useful and I am sure in time you will find lots of suggestions to help you.

I am glad you have found this site and keep reading and researching the site I am sure you will find lots of people with similar experiences especially relating to the sleep problems your having.

Sue

xxx

scknight

kazzie
26-11-06, 15:42
Hi Sandie

I use bach remedy and if im feeling bad i practically drink the stuff!!!

Hasent hurt me!!!

Luv Kaz xx

yorkylover
26-11-06, 16:50
Hi Sandie,and welcome.You will get lots of help and support here.;)

Ellen XX

Granny Primark
26-11-06, 18:05
Hi sandie,
Welcome to this site.
I use rescue remedy and wouldnt go anywhere without it. I really dont know if it works or not but to me its my safety blanket.
I too like you am going through the menopause, my gp said that it could be one of the reasons i started with panic attacks last year. I never realised just how difficult it is to cope with the symptons. Pse feel free to pm me, maybe we could help one another.
Kaz, when ive had bad days ive done the same as you and its never hurt me either.

Take care
LYNN xx

valeriej
26-11-06, 19:24
Hello Sandie and welcome

I'm taking Diazepam at the mo though try not to take it very often. Through this site I also found Rescue Remedy (RR) which really helps.

I have been having trouble sleeping and I've noticed if I have a cup of hot chocolate a half hour or so before I go to bed and then just before I get into bed I use my RR spray I seem to sleep better. I forgot to mention that I also use lavender pure oil, a drop or two on my pillow which seems to help me relax. I can get to sleep okay it's waking up and then not being able to go back to sleep early in the mornings and then being awake until it's time to get up. My doctor told me it was stress.

Do you think hormones have anything to do with it? I think so and am seeing my GP on Wednesday so will ask her. The day after my worst panic attack my monthly started and it's been on and off for over a week (I'm 41). I'd been suffering bad anxiety/attacks two weeks leading up to my monthly starting (which is all over the place and I've been diagnosed with PCOS).

I'm seeing a counsellor tomorrow morning but when she phoned me (when I was sick at home) she said to take little steps, break everything down into bits which has helped me so far.

Take care Sandie

Valerie

mooks
26-11-06, 21:05
Hi Sandie welcome...
I think hormones are a BIG thing to do thi this ..I had PND 14 yrs ago and have suffered GAD ever since...Meds help...but now exploring CBT, reading Vitamens etc...
As has been said it different for each person...I personally have been on and off meds but wont take Diazapan etc..
I would say Prozac is not the best Med for Anxiety may be research and go back to your Doc. All meds will make you feel worse before you feel better unfortunately ...but the y do help which many of us can testify
xx

bjaques
26-11-06, 21:58
Hi All... Is typical, website about anxiety and my PC has let me down... I have lost my first 2 posts to the ether!!

Sandie .. had written a response to both you and madmax, who replied to your earlier post. The readers digest version of the message was that reading what you had both written was I am sorry to say the closest to reassuarance I have since I first learnt what panic was!! Am very glad to have found this place. I have until the last couple of weeks had no involvement with my GP, and I think he is getting his own back by not being intereseted in the fact that my life has just become scary!!

Sorry cant comment on the hormones aspect being male and 30, but glad your getting support... can someone tell me what Bach is??

Ben

LickeyEndBlues
27-11-06, 16:29
Hi Sandie
Welcome to this great site. We spoke briefly in chat this afternoon and it is good to see you accessing the various levels of support, advice and help that are all here.

Hope the site I sugesetd has proved useful,

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

trac67
27-11-06, 19:29
Hi sandie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Wenjoy
27-11-06, 19:35
Hi there - me too - I am going through the menopause and the PAs are horrible. CBT helped a bit but today at work I hyperventilated all afternoon and am now feeling "buzzy" and weird - cross with myself coz I know my breathing is what set it all off and even when i tried to relax I was tense in my chest and shoulders like Ru by off Eastenders were up round my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wenjoy x

nomorepanic
04-12-06, 20:04
Hi Sandie

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel