PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to feel happy??

Mareca
04-03-14, 22:04
I feel guilty when I am not worrying about something. My main focus of worrying is money. I'm not rich, nor poor, just middle. A few debts, nothing outrageous.

But when I let myself relax and not feel anxious, I get this sense that something "bad" is about to happen. Like there is another shoe that is about to drop.

I'm on Zoloft 100mg per day, for a number of years, and that has helped my physical symptoms of anxiety.

But am I allowed to be happy!? Will something horrible happen if I am??
Suggestions are welcome!

Fishmanpa
04-03-14, 22:08
But am I allowed to be happy!? Will something horrible happen if I am??

I'm thinking you may actually be happy :) And if something does happen? At least your were happy for a while instead of worrying.

Positive thoughts

WhyWhyWhy
04-03-14, 22:15
Of course you are.

I worry about not worrying. I worry that by 'neglecting' my anxiety I won't be prepared for when something terrible does happen.

I posted about this earlier, the sense of impending doom is just so typical of anxiety sufferers, it's just another one of those things we need to deal with wether that be fight it or accept it, whatever works for you I guess. Acceptance works best for me, don't get me wrong I'm not there yet, not even close but I'm closer than I was.

Wishing you well xx

Sunflower2
04-03-14, 22:42
I also worry about feeling happy. One of my huge list of worries. I told that to my therapist last week and she said well what difference will it make? How can you prepare for something by worrying about it? I think by worrying about it it gives you a sense of control which is a bit part of anxiety but I haven't found a solution yet. If I find one I will let you know!

WhyWhyWhy
04-03-14, 22:46
That's how I feel. If I'm constantly thinking about it then when it does happen it won't knock me off my feet, I'll be in control and in a better position to deal with it.

However this is all rubbish, I can say this now as I'm feeling rational. Worry won't give us control or courage, it's useless. It absorbs all your energy. The good thing is, you recognise that this isn't the appropriate way to think and you're looking for a way to break the cycle :)

Have you tried mindfulness? xx

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-14, 01:38
Ive found that I cant remember how happiness should feel which sounds completely illogical since its an emotion, not a set of logical thoughts. So, inbetween the anxiety or depdessive moods, I get this thought and question why im not X or Y so I feel like im at a crossroads.

I guess the thing to do is try to find things you enjoy.

happybunny13
05-03-14, 22:21
I had this feeling this morning. I woke up to go to work and it was light for once (I get up at half 5) and it felt lovely. The sun was shinning and I felt really happy, then I was worrying about feeling happy thinking why am I feeling like this I never feel like this in the morning maybe Its the slow start of me going mad etc etc then I was back to feeling my normal anxious self :(

Mareca
11-03-14, 01:47
Oh wow!! I truly thought I was the only one who felt this way.
I'm amazed, and I can identify with all of the posts above. It is true that my feeling happy isn't a warning signal that something bad is going to happen. With that being said, by reading the posts above I do see that that feeling is a part of my anxiety that I just need to recognize. But it does help to see I'm not alone!! Thanks and best wishes to all of you. This website is so wonderful!!

NorthernGeek
11-03-14, 08:39
When I described how I spent half my life making mental contingency plans about how I would cope with bad events, my doctor called it 'Catastrophisation'. Not a word I had heard before, but it seemed quite appropriate.

I had another attack this morning when after waking too early, my mind would not allow me to get back to sleep as it instantly started racing through scenarios about losing my job (the company I work for has been doing very badly for quite a while).

The constant Anxiety/Worry/Depression finally overwhelmed me last year & I am now on 40mg of Citalopram which has helped quite a lot in reducing the frequency & duration of attacks, but still left me feeling essentially 'broken'.

My mind has been stuck constantly anticipating 'worst case scenarios' for so long now, that sadly I am not sure I will ever be free of it. I am seeing a clinical psychologist again later today though who wants to discuss a new variation on CBT, so maybe there might be a glimmer of hope after all.