PDA

View Full Version : The carousel of worry

Spikie
05-03-14, 08:33
More an observation than a worry (I like to try and laugh at myself and my stresses from time to time, it makes me feel better :) ), but just thought I'd share and see if anyone can suggest anything to help.

I'm sure it is a common problem, I'm basically just stressing. What about is almost irrelevant, it's like my mind has said 'you need to feel stressed' and has then found something to stress about. Once I overcome that my mind picks something else, then something else. The amusing part (at least to me) is I can sometimes steer the subject, meaning I can stop myself stressing about, say, the fact I've injured my leg and so won't be able to run the London Marathon and instead of going to another 'legitimate' worry (my neighbours will park in such a way I can't get my car outside my house) I can pick something ridiculous like 'what if I'm at work and a T-Rex attacks the building.

I can then stress about it big style, as if it were a real possibility, really get wound up, then pause and say 'a T-Rex? Seriously? THAT'S what you're worried about?'. Then laugh at how stupid my worries are and move on.

Of course, I'll kick myself the day the T-Rex actually turns up... ;)

I'd rather not have to worry at all obviously, but as coping mechanisms go? 8/10? :)

I expect I'll stress for the rest of the week (the parking thing is my main issue at the moment, can't get rid of that one), then settle again. Until then I'll worry about giant extinct animals.