PDA

View Full Version : New Job

TheManWithNoName
05-03-14, 18:03
Have suffered with anxiety in the past, got my first proper job but I have had really bad nerves and I'm 3 days in. My sleep isn't great and I'm not eating very well at all, even being sick this morning trying to force down porridge. I feel like being forced to learn too much already so it's stressful... :weep:

MRS STRESS ED
05-03-14, 18:06
First of all well done for getting a job ,sorry to hear how your feeling is there anyone you feel you can talk to it might help good luck x

MrAndy
05-03-14, 18:19
Stick at it,things will settle down and it's a good distraction from anxiety

robinsky
05-03-14, 19:39
Have suffered with anxiety in the past, got my first proper job but I have had really bad nerves and I'm 3 days in. My sleep isn't great and I'm not eating very well at all, even being sick this morning trying to force down porridge. I feel like being forced to learn too much already so it's stressful... :weep:

1. Speak to your GP
2. Try and do something that will calm your nerves - speak to a friend etc.
3. Maybe medication may help you to sleep better
4. With the food, it is worth speaking to your doctor - you shouldn't have to force down your food and also the fact you're being sick.
5. Tell people at work how you feel and they can help - can HR not help? You need to speak to someone - that usually helps and is a good start.

Hope it all works out for you.

My best,
Robin

PunkyFish
05-03-14, 20:22

:hugs:

I was exactly the same when I got my job. I wasn't eating right for the first few days and wasn't sleeping well at all. I know it's stressful but I pushed through it and so can you! my advice would be don't let the anxiety win. Your work colleague's won't expect you to remember everything they tell you so if you find yourself unsure about a task then ask to be shown again. Why not tell your manager how you feel?

The first few days of a new job are tough even for a person without anxiety but for someone with anxiety it's probably a little tougher. The nerves should ease once you get into a routine and get use to the job. Try and eat as best as you can and get an early night even if you can't sleep just try and sleep as this will help you relax a bit.

Hope everything works out ok.

Kenna5027
11-03-14, 14:04
I agree with the other answers. I got a part time job a couple of months ago, and for the first few weeks I hated it. I didn't know what I was doing, I felt really awkward, I didn't know anyone (naturally), and I was anxious all the time. After the first few weeks, I was honestly planning on quitting - but I didn't. Now? I love my job. I still don't always know what I'm doing, and there are some days I don't want to go in - but I've made some great friends there and really enjoy myself most of the time.

So stick it out - it really may get better.

Mrsh11
11-03-14, 18:17
I have been finding this too so please don't feel like you are suffering alone. Finding one or two supportive colleagues helps and try to go easy on yourself and do something you enjoy out of hours. I have been making myself eat as it seems to take the edge off and excercise in the evening too though normally I would rather just relax with a book. I am hoping one day I will look back on these early days and wonder what I was anxious for but I have a way to go yet.

kirkatronics
12-03-14, 12:38
If you do feel there is a lot to take in you should have a word with your employer.
They should be more than happy to go at a pace you are more comfortable with.

I would also have a word with your GP, they may be able to do something to help you out. It could be anything from talking to you about your issues, to giving you temp meds to keep your anxiety away during these tough times.

Try to keep in mind that the start of a new job is the hardest part, and when you get through that it will most likely be smooth sailing.