PDA

View Full Version : Weird feeling upon waking up?

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 19:48
Hello everyone. I've been posting lots lately...

I just wanted to know something because I've never experienced this before. So this morning I woke up around 4 am but quickly went back to sleep almost instantly.

Three hours later my alarm went off and I woke up but I felt so out of it. Like not disorientated but just out of it. And my eyes felt super tired, like I was in a very deep sleep. My dream was very vivid also, I can still remember it.

The only thing different was I took a gas pill last night hours before bed and I slept around 11:30-11:40 so I shouldn't be that tired.

Well, I'm almost done work now and I've overall felt okay. But now I have anxiety for sleeping tonight. Worried I won't wake up from a deep sleep :(

Fishmanpa
05-03-14, 19:52
It had nothing to do with the gas pill. Sometimes we just have difficulty waking up. I feel like that almost every day.

mgw
05-03-14, 19:53
Hey, just wanna share that I often get this. It mainly happens to me if I've haven't been asleep for a full night, so I guess that's the same with you from 4am. I think, its all to do with coming out of REM sleep, perfectly normal x

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 19:54
Do you know what could even cause that?

I'm so afraid that it was my brain in the process of shutting down and me waking up kind of stopped it.

mgw
05-03-14, 19:55
I suffer terribly from anxiety about sleeping so I can relate to your fears.

But, you have to remember that feeling when waking up is completely normal! All to do with cycle of sleep I think, really isn't anything to worry about at all x

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 19:57
Hey, just wanna share that I often get this. It mainly happens to me if I've haven't been asleep for a full night, so I guess that's the same with you from 4am. I think, its all to do with coming out of REM sleep, perfectly normal x

Thanks for replying :)
Glad to see I'm not alone
I hope that's all it is. It was a very scary feeling. Could that still happen if I went straight back to sleep?

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

I suffer terribly from anxiety about sleeping so I can relate to your fears.

But, you have to remember that feeling when waking up is completely normal! All to do with cycle of sleep I think, really isn't anything to worry about at all x

Thank you for your reassuring response!

I know what you by how it could he normal but yet I still worry about it in the back of my mind. Worried because it's the first time it happened to me. I almost stayed home from work because of it. Glad I came in anyways.

mgw
05-03-14, 19:58
Yeah I'd definitely imagine so! It's only personal experience for me that I find it occurs more often if I have slept only a little, I think its completely normal to happen whenever!

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 20:28
Oh really? Yours is most likely due to only sleeping a little then :) I do notice that when I sleep a little I'm usually tired the whole day. Today I felt okay, thankfully...so I don't think it was due to lack of sleep
Ahh, I hope mine isn't anything serious

LunaLiuna
05-03-14, 20:39
I have really vivid and crazy dreams most nights because of my medication, before I was on them though I'd get them with anxiety.

Also I think it's completely normal with anxiety to wake up feeling a little off, I know I wake up sometimes in a panic, sometimes I wake up like you've wrote about :)

Here's a link that explains anxiety, dreams and sleep: http://www.psychology-solution.com/sleep-insomnia/anxiety-depression

mgw
05-03-14, 20:40
'REM sleep is when you dream. If you wake up a person during REM sleep, the person can vividly recall dreams.'

'Alarms can also add to your overall stress levels. The sudden noise triggers the body's protective 'fight or flight' response, pumping up your adrenaline levels.

'The 5th stage is REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is when you dream. When you wake up during "light" sleep, you wake up rested and feeling good. Conversely, when you wake up during "deep" sleep, you feel groggy'

you inspired me to look it up haha, yeah its completley normal!

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 20:59
I have really vivid and crazy dreams most nights because of my medication, before I was on them though I'd get them with anxiety.

Also I think it's completely normal with anxiety to wake up feeling a little off, I know I wake up sometimes in a panic, sometimes I wake up like you've wrote about :)

Here's a link that explains anxiety, dreams and sleep: http://www.psychology-solution.com/sleep-insomnia/anxiety-depression

Thanks for the reply :)
That's interesting how meds could cause vivid dreams. I'm not any but for the last month I've had many vivd dreams.

I'm glad to see that it could be normal, I'm just trying to keep that in mind. Also, thank you so much for the website, I'll take a look at it now. :)

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

'REM sleep is when you dream. If you wake up a person during REM sleep, the person can vividly recall dreams.'

'Alarms can also add to your overall stress levels. The sudden noise triggers the body's protective 'fight or flight' response, pumping up your adrenaline levels.

'The 5th stage is REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is when you dream. When you wake up during "light" sleep, you wake up rested and feeling good. Conversely, when you wake up during "deep" sleep, you feel groggy'

you inspired me to look it up haha, yeah its completley normal!

So my alarm could have definitely put me in fight or flight mode. Thanks so much for looking it up haha, makes more sense now. :)

anxious_thoughts
06-03-14, 02:28
Quite a bit of anxiety right now as I have to go to bed in about two hours :(

mgw
06-03-14, 18:20
Hey jenn how was your sleep?

anxious_thoughts
07-03-14, 23:46
Hello! Well, I've had two sleeps since and they've been a lot better. Thank you for asking. :)

RoseEve
08-03-14, 00:44
:)