PDA

View Full Version : Kindred Spirits

Erin
26-11-06, 20:08
Hey folks,

I started to cry reading some of the posts in this section because they strike a chord with me. I have been a catastrophic thinker for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl and my dad or mom were late to pick me up from somewhere, I was convinced that they were dead. I'm 29 now and I'm still a worrier. During my teens and early 20's I didn't identify as an anxious person. If you met me you'd likely think that I was care free and easy going. But behind the happy demeanour I suffer suffer suffer. I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll most likely struggle with anxiety throughout my life.

In recent years my anxieties have manifested themselves through physical symptoms. I find myself currently fixated on a twinge/pain/throb on the left side of my abdomen. My catastrophic thinking tells me that it MUST be ovarian cancer. On a rational level I know that I have a history of fixating on aches and pains. Nonetheless, I carry a heavy heart with me throughout the day and ruminate about how I must have cancer. I go back and forth between thinking "this is only anxiety Erin! Look at your track record!" and thinking "the longer you avoid going to the doctor the higher your chances are of dying from this disease".

I'm pretty happy to have found this site. I think it will be helpful for me to reach out to other folks who know what it's like to suffer from that awful feeling of doom. Although I'm sad that others also suffer, I take heart in knowing that I'm not alone.

Take care,
Erin

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr. Seuss

honeybee3939
26-11-06, 20:29
Hi Erin,

A BIG warm welcome to you, you certianly have come to the right place for support, you are not alone i hope we can be of some help.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

trac67
26-11-06, 20:36
Hi Erin,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Nice name by the way, same as my youngest daughter.:D

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

mooks
26-11-06, 20:58
Hi
Erin
Welcome, as you've already found out your not alone...you are so right...I spent my whole childhood worrying...but again was very out going etc..maybe being an only child was my downfall...
but help is here xx

feels_like_home
27-11-06, 00:10
Hi Erin,

You are definately not alone. I am 25 and can relate to your story well. I was always and still am a catastrophic thinker. I always hide behind a smile, so most people think I am fine when sometimes I am not. My symptoms are more mental and I think I am going crazy. I can understand the back and forth between the anxiety point of view ( I am crazy) to it is just anxiety. I am here if you need to talk.

Take care,

Michelle

manmoor
27-11-06, 08:03
Hi Erin,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

sgp64
27-11-06, 08:06
Hi Erin,

looks like you've come to the right place. Great to see you here.

Sean

Granny Primark
27-11-06, 11:58
Hi erin,

Let me say a warm welcome to you firstly.
You have definitely come to the right place. I know that its so reassuring to know that there are people who can relate to how your feeling.
I have always been an anxious person, if im not worried about something im worried cus im not worried!!!
Id become a really good actress over the years, cus people thought i was such a happy outgoing person who was always out for a laugh. Now i am just being me, and if they dont like it well thats tough.
Im really glad youve found this brilliant site.

Take care
LYNN xx

kittykat
27-11-06, 12:05
Hi Erin,
welcome to this site i'm sure you'll find it a great help. I can relate to what your saying, and its now only at 35 i am beginning to seek help, its not easy but its amazing what you can achieve with a bit of self belief and the help and support of other people.

Take care

Shirley x

yorkylover
27-11-06, 14:54
Hi Erin,and welcome to the forum.I can relate to you.I have pains on and off in my right side.Had all tests done and all clear.Iv had in on and off since I was 18 and Im 40 now.You will get lots of helpful advise here and support.;)

Ellen XX

LickeyEndBlues
27-11-06, 16:19
Hey Erin,

Welcome to the fantastic place. As you are discovering there is lots of good stuff in here, and plenty kindred spirits to help guide you.

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

BillySpans
27-11-06, 18:39
Hiya Erin and a warm welcome to you. I suffered as a child, constantly worrying about whether Mom and Dad had forgotten me, or if when Dad had gone to get Pop Corn @ the game he just left me there. Totally irational things. As a teenager and into my 20's nobody would have ever thought I was a worrier, we do well @ hiding it don't we??

Anyhow, just a big warm welcome from a fellow sufferer and a fellow Canadian.

This sit is a marvelous source of support, information and tools to use everyday.

Mike

Erin
27-11-06, 21:31
Wow! Wow! Wow!
I am absolutely blown away by the outpouring of support. I'm so used to suffering silently. Even though I have lovely and supportive people in my life, it's not easy to relate to someone who is in the throes of anxiety. My own headpace can be my own worst enemy. Especially when anxiety seems to play an ever-present role in my life. Even when I'm feeling lighthearted and care free, I know that my anxious nature is never far away.

I just got home from a day of teaching and I can't even begin to thank you all for your warm welcome and kind words. I'm not normally at a loss for words, but I really don't know how to express how great it is to receive such genuine and non-judgemental replies to my post.

In short - you all ROCK!

Cheers,
Erin

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr. Seuss

vagabond
27-11-06, 21:59
Worry...............dont ya just love worrying about it [Duh!]

I too felt i was a free soul......with not a care in the world. Yet, time has shown that I am amongst the sensitive folk.

Sometimes i feel it is a quality that cannot be equalled. Othertimes, it takes me to the depths of despair.

Someone once gave me some advice.........they said........eh...stop worrying about worry. Why not just get through the day...and at a specific time..........open a worry window for 10 mins...and worry your little arse off!!!

I tried it...and for those 10 minutes when i opened my worry window.....NOTHING [V]

Straight back to normal worrying.

I find...the less I think of me...and the more I think of others...the less troublesome my life is.

Good Luck

90% of people know what to do - yet only 10% do what they know !

matilda
28-11-06, 17:21
Hi and welcome from another abdo pain oh no it must be cancer person!!! This site has helped me soooo much!
Love Matilda...

strawberrie
28-11-06, 18:03
hi erin, being a catastrophic thinker is a complete pain in the arse[^], but you will find lots of help here :D

welcome to the forum,

mag

nomorepanic
04-12-06, 19:59
Hi Erin

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel