PDA

View Full Version : Forgetting to breathe

fairyloveheart
05-03-14, 22:58
Does anyone worry about forgetting to breathe and has periods
Of time where they feel like it's an effort to
Do so? Is that a symptom of anxiety?
It has happened to me on a few occasions - and is happening at the moment and I am worried if I go to sleep I will stop?

anxious_thoughts
05-03-14, 23:11
Hello, definitely been through this more than a couple of times.

For me, it usually only happens when I begin to concentrate on my breathing, it feels like I am unable to take a full breath. I highly doubt you will stop breathing in your sleep, your brain is like programmed to keep breathing. As well as if it were to happen, you would jolt yourself awake. So try not to think about it. I usually play with apps on my phone or do some word search in bed so I can relax and get to sleep easier. Take care x

Serenity1990
05-03-14, 23:18
Yes this is very familiar!

fairyloveheart
05-03-14, 23:27
Thanks xxx it's very strange and hard to stop thinking about it x

anthrokid
06-03-14, 02:19
If it makes you feel any better, you will NOT forget to breathe. It is an innate function in a specific area of your brain. You won't forget to breathe in your sleep.

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-14, 05:04
You can't forget to breathe. If you hold your breath as long as you can, your body will force you to breathe as you will expell and start breathing anyway. Thats a sign it's all automated for us.

I understand what you mean though as I have a lot of this. I have asthma which I know if fine but I think it tends to be in my mind that it could be that when I know it really isn't.

Do you find you tense your midsection a lot? I have been doing this a lot from the anxiety and it does make the feeling of breathing issues worse. So, it could be a result of that. If so, try breathing exercises, relaxation techiniques and Mindfulness meditation. You may find meditation hard at first because it will ask you to monitor your breathing but it gets easier and there is several ways to monitor your breathing so if one doesn't work you switch to another (I had to do this sometimes) so that you ease into the meditation.