PDA

View Full Version : Can Cold weather affect/attribute to Anxiety?

Wintear
06-03-14, 01:51
I have noticed that during the season of Winter and sometimes through-out the Fall, my Anxiety goes on a pretty steady incline.

Symptoms like DP/DR, the shakes, cold hands/feet, heart palpitations, and hypersensitivity all play more of a part and are more frequently experienced. It's not like they're nonexistent during the warmer weather, but they tend to be less severe.

Can temperature/weather have anything at all to do with this?

Also, if this could be answered too, I'd really appreciate it! - - - - - - - - - - - -

About 15 minutes ago, I was downstairs in my kitchen playing with my dog on the floor. My Mother was down there, too. Out of nowhere, I felt a massive surge of anxiety/panic and felt a strong need to vacate the area immediately. It's like my Mind and body were screaming at me to "GET OUT OF THERE!" So, without warning, I got up and went upstairs into my room. I was shaking a bit so I threw on a hoodie. The feeling is still there, but it isn't as overwhelming. It was as if I was gripped by an abrupt dream-like state. Like I said, I think it's fading now, but still.

Can anyone shed some light on what they think might have happened there? It was so sudden and almost worked me into a full blown panic attack. I'm managing, though...

Annie0904
06-03-14, 07:47
I always feel more anxious in winter. There is a thread aboud this somewhere if you search SAF I cant find it at the moment as using phone.

ankietyjoe
06-03-14, 09:53
It's definitely more common to feel low in the winter time. Sun makes your body make vitamin D which in turn aids good mood. Read up on seasonal affective disorder.

It sounds like you had a plain old vanilla panic attack in the kitchen as well. In my own experience it's very common for them to appear out of nowhere, but the most important thing you can do is just let it pass and not over think it. :)

WhyWhyWhy
06-03-14, 10:05
I read somewhere once a tip, to wear a scarf when you're anxious to keep you warm and it helps with a stiff neck that anxiety can cause. So I do, everywhere I go in the cold weather I wear a scarf, try it :) xx

Annie0904
06-03-14, 10:36
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145462

Magic
06-03-14, 12:59
I am feel the same way. I also wear a scarf thin ones for inside and warmer ones for outside. Roll on summer and light nights xx

jayjoe18
06-03-14, 13:28
I don't think winter is very helpful for anxiety at all, I always feel kind of down, there's just not enough daylight for me.