PDA

View Full Version : Old friend wants to meet up!

jayjoe18
06-03-14, 15:41
Hi guys, so I'm in a positive place at the moment having just managed to have an amazing holiday abroad... I overcame the anxiety and it really made me see what I am missing in life and now I have the opportunity to start getting my life back in order as one of my old school friends has got in touch and wants to meet up.

She didn't get in touch with me as she feels awkward about it as we haven't spoken in about 5-6 years, however she bumped into my mum last weekend and said that she missed me as we were once best friends. She said her and one of my other best friends had been speaking about me and wondered how I was doing (they had seen all my holiday pictures on Facebook)

She asked my mum if she thought I'd mind her phoning sometime and calling round to my house to catch up. I think it's lovely that she still cares and wants to see me but obviously the anxiety is making me feel really worried and nervous about it all!

I'm not 100% sure how much they know about my anxiety as I never admitted anything to them, it just kind of happened suddenly, I started skipping school and stopped talking to them. So it's quite awkward for me.

I'd explain it all now to them of course but again that seems quite daunting.

I am really scared to see them again, but in an ideal world the real me would love to get back in touch and maybe even get things back to the way they were.

If I could do that, have atleast two of my old friends back, I'm sure things would grow from there and I'd gain more confidence. However right now I still find it really difficult going out so I'm not sure really how that would work?

I haven't been out on my own in 5 years, I've been glued to my mums side for a long time now, I rely on her for support and confidence to go out, I know I need to become independant again, it just seems so difficult.

I just feel like right now I have so many opportunities to start building my life back, yet I am so scared STILL to do so, to take the first steps. I'm 21 next month and feel like now is the time to get back on track for myself and my families sake. I have been thinking about contacting the friend on Facebook but the thought of meeting up is terrifying and preventing me from doing so! What would I even say! I'm not good with conversations, again I rely on my mum a lot since my anxiety started.

I'm just confused at how I managed to go abroad yet I'm still struggling with life here. I have been on Cipralex 5mg for 4 months now, should it be helping more by now in terms of independance and confidence going out on my own etc? I wonder if an increase to 10mg would make me more confident and able to meet with my old friends?

What should I do?! Need some advice, I don't want to miss this opportunity but I still don't feel ready to have a social life even though it's what I want.

ankietyjoe
06-03-14, 15:57
Just let them know what happened. It is daunting, but it makes everything SO much easier.

I have friends that know now, and it just makes it easier if I have to cancel anything (which almost never happens) or if anything happens when I'm in their company. It's the hiding it that causes much of the stress.

If they don't want to deal with it, well then you've lost nothing :)

Fishmanpa
06-03-14, 18:30
JJ,

I saw your response to PanchoGoz...

"And with regards to the flight, I did 11 hours and I haven't left the house properly in years... if I can do it, you can too!"

If you can do that, you can do this ;)

Positive thoughts

jayjoe18
07-03-14, 18:35
Thanks guys, I'm sure they would be supportive, I've never told them about my anxiety but I think they have some ideas from over the years. She asked my mum if there was anything she could do to help, so I'm pretty sure they would be fine about it. I'm just nervous about meeting up after so long, how do I go about it? Where would be best I wonder as I still struggle going out on my own?

HalfJack
08-03-14, 03:33
They sound really cool :D
You could invite her over? Or invite her over and then go out with her from your house so you're not alone? My friends used to do that for me back in the day.

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-14, 05:58
You should meet up and give it a try, it's another positive step forward.

Anxieties are hard to understand or appreciate until you've had them so I think sometimes people don't know what to say or do, but they are thinking about you and thats a good first step towards rekindling those old friendships.

Go for it!!!