PDA

View Full Version : Where did your first panic attack happen?

GingerFish
07-03-14, 20:23
Do you remember your first or one of your first panic attacks? Did it happen totally out of the blue or did it happen in a somewhat scary situation?

I'll never forget my first panic attack. I was sitting in biology doing my work, feeling fine and suddenly the room started spinning, I got tunnel vision, my heart started racing, my skin felt as though it was on fire and I wanted to collapse and puke. I ran out the room and I honestly believed I
was drugged or something, especially because it was 100% out of the blue. Ever since that time, I got them in every biology class then it became any college class, then on the way to college on the train and then just any time I was outside then especially in crowds to now, I get them every single day and I am pretty much house bound because of them. I think my biggest problem was the fear of having another panic attack after they became a regular thing at college made me panic about getting them outside and at home and well thanks to that, I have. I was 20 when I experienced my first one. My mum has suffered with them all her life and my gran started to suffer from them during and after the menopause. She has just recently managed to break out of her housebound stage thankfully.

For me the worst places to cause panics with me are -
*In public transport of any kind (developed travel sickness ever since I started having panic attacks)
*In crowds/crowded streets or shops
*Waiting in a queue
*Waiting in the doctors surgery
*Being outside in the day time. Maybe its because its bright and crowded (or maybe I am now a vampire!)
I find it quite interesting to hear how and where people experienced their first attack. If you are comfortable enough, please feel free to share your experience.

Annie0904
07-03-14, 20:42
Mine was in an English class when I was 15 (I am 56 now)

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

I should add that I have had many anxiety free years since then :)

mgw
07-03-14, 20:43
Mine was when I was about 15, and on a night out with friends after smoking weed! Never had happened before and never was able to smoke since, never ever want to again! I remember being in the cinema and hearing a noise, realising it was my heart! Convinced I was dying, never had even heard of panic attacks!

Second was on a plane over a year ago. Again, had no idea what was happening, and now terrified of flying! x

An just thought I'd add:
ques, doctor's ques, croweded places, and the day time (agree its about light!) are all main triggers for me! I'd say supermarket's the worst place!

GingerFish
07-03-14, 20:46
I know what you mean about weed and panic attacks. I foolishly tried it to try and 'cure' my panics after a few friends recommended it. It made me 100 times worse.

I went on a plane for the first time last year (my grandparents sent me to Reykjavik for my 21st since I had never been on holiday before) and I was surprisingly calm on the plane. Fair enough I had a few JD and cokes in me during take off but considering that was me who got panics while sitting in front of her laptop, I was pretty proud! Lol. Not overly keen on flying though.

mgw
07-03-14, 20:50
Yeah, I think weed works for some, but definitely not for me! Don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to smoke again, which is a shame, or maybe a very good thing!

Well done for being calm on the plane! I used to be completely fine, never 'liked it' but never hated it this much! Hopefully one day will go back to being fine, at the moment taking diazepam before is what I do!

GingerFish
07-03-14, 20:57
I've been given diazepam for my back. I'm forever tensing my muscles up and hunching because of anxiety and tension so I have constant back ache. Kinda nervous to take the pills tbh. That probably sounds silly!

mgw
07-03-14, 21:02
No that doesn't sound silly at all! I was terrified when I first took them, and this was before I was going through anxiety etc! Now, I've cried over taking vitamin D tablets, I know the scared feeling!
Honestly, I've found no problem whatsoever with them, in fact they've saved me many a time! If you've got any questions or anything feel free to ask :)

GingerFish
07-03-14, 21:25
No that doesn't sound silly at all! I was terrified when I first took them, and this was before I was going through anxiety etc! Now, I've cried over taking vitamin D tablets, I know the scared feeling!
Honestly, I've found no problem whatsoever with them, in fact they've saved me many a time! If you've got any questions or anything feel free to ask :)
I'm just bit scared in case they make me feel a bit spacey or anything. Before I started suffering from panics, I was fine with any meds. I used to take 30/500 cocodamol for periods and be fine and now I can't even take the 8/500 without becoming spacey and dizzy.

mgw
07-03-14, 21:31
When I took them I didn't find they made me spacey really. I took it expecting I was going to be like 'zoned out' or a zombie out of control for the next few hours.. nothing like that. Just takes the edge of panic, and its kind of relaxing but not in the sense you don't feel yourself!

anthrokid
07-03-14, 21:43
I think your first panic attack is something you never forget. I was overseas, and had been drugged (not that I knew it at the time). I seriously thought I was dying from an allergic reaction to food or something and I was miles from any medical centre or transport (3rd world country). After that I kept experiencing them several times a day/night. I only found out later on that it was a panic attack in reaction to the drugs, but by the time I was back home and they figured it out, I was too far gone with panic disorder! Fortunately I've had a few panic free years now, but that first panic attack will stay with me forever!

Cú Chulainn
07-03-14, 23:18
I had my first one a year or so a go.
No triggers that I know of I was just sitting on the sofa at midday watching A Place In the Sun and felt rush of heat through my whole to my head etc/

Charlotteee89
07-03-14, 23:58
I've always suffered from panic-like symptoms & it took a lot to have a full blown panic attack. But my first one was when I was around 19 years old & it was awful! I had major Social Anxiety problems & completely freaked out in a car on the way to a shopping centre (which filled me with so much dread!), I felt like I was going to faint so my uncle pulled over outside a shop, brought me a bottle of water & I somehow managed to calm down... I had NO clue it was a panic attack though - I thought I had a virus or something! Still ended up going to the shopping centre though...

I had little panic attacks from then on up until a year ago.

But unfortunately I had a full blown one about 4 weeks ago out of the blue at night which has triggered so much anxiety. I go from one obsessive thought to another. I'm over thinking so much that I'm actually so mentally tired! My anxiety is worse at night as I had the panic attack 4 weeks ago at night. I hate the night time. :(

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 00:12
My first panic attack was in November of 2012. It was such a traumatic experience as we didn't know what it was. I then didn't have one until a year later, but they quickly escalated to full blown panic disorder with agoraphobia at that point.

I would like to say that I am currently "recovered"-- although I did actually have an attack today, but I am convinced that this is not something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life……BECAUSE I have the tools to keep myself in recovery. I just need to make sure I am using them proactively and not just when I hit crisis mode.

CBT is the absolute best approach to panic disorder in my opinion. I am also on Sertraline, and am so thankful for the help it has given me in getting my life back.

Panic attack sufferers……..THEY CAN BE ELIMINATED! Check out any works by Dr. Claire Weeks. Check out the free CBT program offered here too.

nomorepanic
08-03-14, 00:39
my story is here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/mystory/

GingerFish
08-03-14, 18:32
I had an awful one today after I took a dose of citalopram. I've only really just started and was told to prepare for the possibility of a rough few weeks. I had severe nausea about 30 mins after taking it and then I went into full on panic mode and felt as though my heart was gonna explode and my vision were gonna cut out. I took one of the valiums I have been prescribed for my back pain at the height of it and that has calmed me down a lot, still a bit jittery though but hopefully the worst is over now.

TelBoy
09-03-14, 21:25
My first real mega panic attack was on the Piccadilly line at South Kensington when I was 23... DREADFUL:scared15:
I really did think I was going mad!!! I felt as though I couldn't get out ( which I couldn't as it was a tube train ) and it was as though I wanted to scream at someone saying Help Me!!! but of course I somehow controlled my dreadful panic even though I felt like I couldn't breathe as well.
It lasted for a good 15 minutes... but when I got to the station I was supposed to get out of, I felt I couldn't or something even more dreadful was going to happen to me... lucky for me it didn't. The odd part about it was, after I did get out of the train and although I felt like I couldn't breathe, I actually ran down the backstreets to Charring Cross Hospital and went to A&E and said I was about to collapse:)) long story short while I was waiting the panic started again and I was gripping the chair I was sitting on, my hands were rings with sweat and in the end a doctor called me and I was made to get on this bed he basically asked me what was the problem, and I explained everything and he went on to say that I needed to attend the hypoventilation clinic for 10 weeks....that was the start of my panics:!!! as you can imagine this was only the tip of the iceberg but you get the general idea.. I am in my 50s and I still get them... what a life eh:scared15:

james_grimble
10-03-14, 11:53
mine was 10 months ago.

For about 3 weeks i had pins and needles in my hand on and off and also an ache in my chest that i didnt really think much of.

Anyway i was shopping with my girlfriend when the pins and needles suddenly stared but intensified. In the end my whole hand had pins and needles in it. I walked out of the shop and suddenly felt bizzare, like i was going to faint.

I sat on a bench then my heart went absolutely beserk, 100% thought i was having a heart attack.

Was taken to hospital and they did ecg's and bloods and said no heart attack !

Since then ive never felt normal again, ive had every test fro my heart an it is 100% fine.

Alan Mack
10-03-14, 13:45
My first panic attack was in September 1997 it's a day I will never forget,
the day started off great it was a beautiful sunny day I was all excited because me and my father were setting off on our holiday to Canada for a month to spend time with my auntie, but first we had to travel up to Glasgow and spend a few days with family until are flight left from Glasgow airport, my brother had given us a lift to Northampton bus depot that day to catch a bus up to Glasgow and that's when it happened, I remember it so clearly I was leaning against my brother's car it was a light blue Ford Fiesta and was looking over at the buses coming and going then the next thing I had this terrifying feeling it's like all my nerve endings suddenly became electrified It felt as if I was going to collapse I had never experienced anything like it before it was just so horrible, I managed to get on the bus it was a six hour journey but it felt like a life time I kept telling myself that it would pass and I'll be ok but unfortunately it got so bad that I had to cancel my holiday and got the first available train back home,

a few years later my GP diagnosed me with severe panic disorder, but thinking back the thing that hurts the most is seeing my father waving at me as I was leaving on the train it just felt like I had abandoned him to fly off to Canada on his own.

GingerFish
10-03-14, 17:18
Sorry to hear you had to cancel your holiday due to a panic attack Alan Mack. I know how you feel. I suffered from a major panic attack just before I went to Reykjavik last year. It was my first time abroad and on a plane so I was a nervous wreck and I nearly doubled back home a good few times due to panic attacks. It wasn't until my bf sat me down and calmed me down (and bought me a few whiskys in the airport) that I managed to get on the plane.

My panics were bad then but nowhere near as bad as they are now and nowadays I can barely get in a taxi without feeling as though I am dying so going on a plane would be hellish for me now and I probably would actually run back him now if it happened again.

Sabre120
11-03-14, 02:52
My first panic attack occurred a couple of years back. I'd come home after visiting a friend in university for a week and I think seeing how much fun he was having compared to my life (Living at home, in the countryside, unemployed etc) bummed me out. I got home and laid down in bed and I just got this intense rush of fear and panic, like I was in a dead end in life, I felt absolutely terrified, my heart felt overly sensitive, all my limbs were tingling and I couldn't stop shaking. Thankfully my life situation has improved significantly since then (I'm now at university myself and it's made me appreciate my home and my family so much more) although I still get the occasional panic attack, I think my one today was triggered from drinking too much over the weekend, so I'm going to take it easy for a few weeks.

shatteredsolace
11-03-14, 13:49
My first panic attack is almost a funny story to me now. It was nearly ten years ago (I was 14) and I'd been up all night because I was having a serious fight with my best friend and I thought we were "breaking up". I was in the bathroom thinking over what was going on, and my heart started to race, my breathing sped up and I felt nauseous and like my muscles were aching all of a sudden. This also marked the start of my first episode of intrusive thoughts, because my brain decided that all of this was a sign that I was in love with my best friend, which...well, didn't do anything to slow down the panic attack or make it go away.

HeartShapedBox
12-03-14, 00:20
Im new to the forum and new to panic attacks my first attack was Jan 4th of this year in work, it was that horrendous I was willing myself to pass out. 2 weeks ago I had the mother of all panic attacks and have barely been able to leave the house since. I have constant hazy vision and dizzy spaced out feeling all the time, I went to see a consultant and I am still getting tests but I think its the anxiety for sure. Horrendous how your own mind and body can do this to you...The exhaustion and low mood aftewards :( Sometimes people just dont understand how bad it is. I never used to have a care in the world now every little thing sets it off and its all happened in such a short space of time.

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

I had an awful one today after I took a dose of citalopram. I've only really just started and was told to prepare for the possibility of a rough few weeks. I had severe nausea about 30 mins after taking it and then I went into full on panic mode and felt as though my heart was gonna explode and my vision were gonna cut out. I took one of the valiums I have been prescribed for my back pain at the height of it and that has calmed me down a lot, still a bit jittery though but hopefully the worst is over now.

Aww I hear ya with the Citalopram im on my 9th day, the first 7 were horrendous, that feeling your verging on an attack 24/7, racing heart, severe nausea, burning in chest/throat, hazy vision...I had hallucinations and severe paranoia but this seems to have eased a bit now it was so bad though I nearly bolted to a&e I was given valium and that has def eased things, I only use that if I need to though. How are you getting on now??

Brunette
13-03-14, 16:05
My first real mega panic attack was on the Piccadilly line at South Kensington when I was 23... DREADFUL:scared15:
I really did think I was going mad!!! I felt as though I couldn't get out ( which I couldn't as it was a tube train ) and it was as though I wanted to scream at someone saying Help Me!!! but of course I somehow controlled my dreadful panic even though I felt like I couldn't breathe as well.
It lasted for a good 15 minutes... but when I got to the station I was supposed to get out of, I felt I couldn't or something even more dreadful was going to happen to me... lucky for me it didn't. The odd part about it was, after I did get out of the train and although I felt like I couldn't breathe, I actually ran down the backstreets to Charring Cross Hospital and went to A&E and said I was about to collapse:)) long story short while I was waiting the panic started again and I was gripping the chair I was sitting on, my hands were rings with sweat and in the end a doctor called me and I was made to get on this bed he basically asked me what was the problem, and I explained everything and he went on to say that I needed to attend the hypoventilation clinic for 10 weeks....that was the start of my panics:!!! as you can imagine this was only the tip of the iceberg but you get the general idea.. I am in my 50s and I still get them... what a life eh:scared15:

South Ken must be a panic attack blackspot! I had my first one there, only I was on the District Line. Ended up getting off at Gloucester Road and being take to A&E.

GingerFish
13-03-14, 16:11
Im new to the forum and new to panic attacks my first attack was Jan 4th of this year in work, it was that horrendous I was willing myself to pass out. 2 weeks ago I had the mother of all panic attacks and have barely been able to leave the house since. I have constant hazy vision and dizzy spaced out feeling all the time, I went to see a consultant and I am still getting tests but I think its the anxiety for sure. Horrendous how your own mind and body can do this to you...The exhaustion and low mood aftewards :( Sometimes people just dont understand how bad it is. I never used to have a care in the world now every little thing sets it off and its all happened in such a short space of time.

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Aww I hear ya with the Citalopram im on my 9th day, the first 7 were horrendous, that feeling your verging on an attack 24/7, racing heart, severe nausea, burning in chest/throat, hazy vision...I had hallucinations and severe paranoia but this seems to have eased a bit now it was so bad though I nearly bolted to a&e I was given valium and that has def eased things, I only use that if I need to though. How are you getting on now??
I've decided not to take meds. I'm just going to batyle the panic attacks myself. I've made a challenge chart were I have written all the things that I'm scared to do due to panics and I'm making it a goal to those things at least 5 times in a month. Yday I went a long walk with my boyfriend, went on a train and went into shops. Public transport, walking during the day and waiting in queues were something that always got to me since the panics started but I done it yday snd I feel my confidence slowly building again.

My challenge for today is to walk to the bank with my bf which is on the edge of town so it won't be too busy but busier than my home street and it'll still be during the day. Then tomorrow I'm getting the train with my mum to the next town to go for a bar lunch and walk around some shops. She is goibg to sit in another carriage so I'll get a taste of what its like to be on a train myself again and then on Sat my challenge is to get the bus over to my mum's rather than a taxi. Wish me luck! :)

Dying_Swan
13-03-14, 18:17
Ah that's brilliant GingerFish. Good luck! Small steps are so important and you'll feel great about yourself each time you achieve one of your goals.

First panic attacks - I don't think any of us could ever forget them. My first panic attack was January 2005. I was sitting in a biology lecture (!) and totally out of the blue I felt extremely dizzy and thought I'd faint. I stayed for the lecture and then went home. Each time I tried to go back, the same thing happened. Before I knew it I was off uni for a year with full blown panic disorder/agoraphobia. I'd had some significant bereavements and I think it was my mind's way of telling me to stop.

Thanks to CBT/meds/determination, I did finally go back to uni and rarely get panic attacks now, although I do remember only too well how terrifying they are. I still get the occasional one, which will jump up and bite me on the bum just to remind me it hasn't quite gone, but on the whole I can manage them fine now. Just need to deal with the GAD side of things!

Best of luck with your goals GingerFish, I'm sure you're going to do great.

almamatters
13-03-14, 18:28
My first panic attack happened when I was in a traffic jam on a dual carriageway, I was about 19. I had suffered from anxiety long before this but had never had a panic attack before. I was so scared. My heart started to thump my face was tingling and burning, I felt as though I couldn't breathe. I had no idea what was happening to me . I had no choice but to sit and wait for the traffic to move and as soon as I could pull over and try and calm down. It took me years to ever go on a dual carriageway again.

GingerFish
13-03-14, 18:37
Ah that's brilliant GingerFish. Good luck! Small steps are so important and you'll feel great about yourself each time you achieve one of your goals.

First panic attacks - I don't think any of us could ever forget them. My first panic attack was January 2005. I was sitting in a biology lecture (!) and totally out of the blue I felt extremely dizzy and thought I'd faint. I stayed for the lecture and then went home. Each time I tried to go back, the same thing happened. Before I knew it I was off uni for a year with full blown panic disorder/agoraphobia. I'd had some significant bereavements and I think it was my mind's way of telling me to stop.

Thanks to CBT/meds/determination, I did finally go back to uni and rarely get panic attacks now, although I do remember only too well how terrifying they are. I still get the occasional one, which will jump up and bite me on the bum just to remind me it hasn't quite gone, but on the whole I can manage them fine now. Just need to deal with the GAD side of things!

Best of luck with your goals GingerFish, I'm sure you're going to do great.
Thanks! Well I went to the bank and the pet shop with my bf. I panicked quite a few times which disappointed me because yesterday when we were out for a long walk down the beach and golf course I barely panicked at all and I had such a confidence boost but my bf reminded me that yday was probably easiee because it was a day out and fun, today was just a generic day and having a task to do but the main thing is I done it even when I panicked more, I just stopped for a sec and then carried on. He said today I made more progress than I did yday. I feel as though I have but I still feel a bit of confidence lost if that makes sense?
Ah well got another challenge for tomorrow!

Dying_Swan
14-03-14, 10:52
I know it's hard, but it's actually probably more important that you did panic more yesterday, because you stuck with those frightening feelings and didn't run from them, which really helps. If you're like I was, I was fine with going outside (like the beach/golf course) but something where I felt I couldn't escape (bank/pet shop) would make me panic. That's the nature of agoraphobia - feeling frightened of being unable to escape. Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant to go out for long walks etc but actually putting yourself in an anxious situation and staying with it is so much more important, so well done you! :yesyes:
I hope today's challenges are a bit easier :)

GingerFish
14-03-14, 16:53
Well my challenge for today was to go on the train with my mum and go for a bar lunch. Well I did it! I was most panicky while waiting on the train whereas my mum was a nervous wreck on the train since it was the first time she has been on one for 3 yrs since she suffers from panics too. We were only on a few mins until her stop and I spoke to her to calm her down, I didn't even realise that I wasn't even panicking myself at that point lol.

I was ok in the pub. A bit nervous since it was loud and jam packed but after a few JD and cokes I was ok and we decided to walk back to my flat which was nice. Overall, my panics were kept at bay through talking and breathing.

Challenge for tomorrow - get the bus over to my mum's and then go to the shop to get her wine. Nervous about this challenge tbh! My bf will be with me on the bus and my little cousin is going with me to the shop. She has suffered from panics too so she at least will be empathic.

HalfJack
14-03-14, 17:18
On my doorstep. I pretty much just woke up one day and couldn't bare going outside.
Never thought about it before. Cool thread.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

OH and well done on your challenge!

maddierose98
29-04-14, 11:14
I was lying on my couch, reading a magazine and watching Edward scissor hands.. When suddenly I got these horrible palpitations and started walking around my lounge room like zombie. How lovely being only 13

kdkkd5
30-04-14, 09:05
i was pregnant with my eldest when i had my first panic attack and she is 24 now. I had no idea what was happening to me it was horrible. i managed to control them eventually myself without any medication up until September 2009 when i had a severe one in Nottingham city centre an ambulance was called because i thought it was a heart attack. Since then i have been on propranolol and they have given me some kind of life back

nursegreenwhippet
30-04-14, 18:30
I was 16, in a garden in summer eating strawberries with a group of posh catholic school girls (I was from neighbouring comprehensive) it was very social and I felt out of my depth and self conscious. I didn't know what it was and tried to hide it.

Torri
01-05-14, 18:17
Mine started after a personal experience, I remember being in town and it was really busy and I just could not cope with the noise and all the people I cried and was shaking, I was with family members and I felt like I needed to go home but couldn't the whole day I was a mess

Worried 24/7
01-05-14, 19:07
Mine was at my house at 20yrs old. I had been eating and it went down my airway and I was gasping for air but felt like I couldn't hardly get any through. It's been all downhill from there....

Amandadvm60
06-05-14, 00:31
My first one was August 2012 I was on a bus in Turkey on the way to the airport going home. I felt the bus close in on me, I could hear everything louder, a shower of pins and needles went through my body, body went cold,shakes, throat closed in and slight heart racing! Didn't have another until December 2013 and oh my I had an awful one then ambulance called as well!! I haven't had one since just anxiety most days since chest heaviness and arm ache.

needhelp1
06-05-14, 02:26
First one was 2 years ago after smoking weed(too strong). I knew I'm very sensitive to it, I had one of the worst experiences in my life . Honestly I thought that I'm just dead, I won't get a second chance for the life . I was experienced heart palpitation, fast breathing , going insane ,pin and needles etc.etc you name it all . Right now I feel hopeless , useless,(I'm deserved to get all these feel) but I never stop doing things , . Recently I flew about 5 times on the plane on my own(each journey not less than 13 hours ).

shannabanna
06-05-14, 10:25
I was really quite young 9-10. Thinking about it I think it was learnt behaviour. My mum had a heart condition that caused her in turn to have panic attacks. Although she hid her panic attacks she did tell me about it and I think I picked up the symptoms.

My panic has since manifested in its own way over the years. It seems like its a magnet sucking in scary situations that are difficult to shake off.

It amazes me how many of us go through this often on a daily basis yet people that don't suffer have limited empathy. Even my Mum having been through it herself is of the opinion I should pull my socks up!

sugaree
06-05-14, 15:24
First one was while making dinner for a group of friends that was over at our house... about 6 months ago. all was fine and then I felt like everything was closing in on me, like I was going to fall off my chair and pass out and I had to get out of there. Sat in my bedroom by myself the rest of the night :/

Lines at the grocery store are the absolute worst for me. It's a little relieving that others feel the same way in those situations, I feel like it's such a silly thing to get so worked up over but it happens, every time I'm there.

BamaGirl
06-05-14, 17:12
I was 13 when I experienced my first panic attack. I was worried about a lot at the time but I didn't know it could cause anything to happen to me. I had noticed for a couple days that this overwhelming feeling would come over me to where I would have to catch my breath over the next days I remember sitting at home and my chest started feeling tight and I began crying because I didn't know what was happening!! I was uncontrollably crying and feeling like I was just going to die. I felt numb and scared and trapped in my body. It was the worst moment of my life. I still have panic sometimes today and I'm 21 now. I can manage it now but I tell you it changed me forever...

Johhny
06-05-14, 20:45
Mine was getting ready to drive across a long bridge in heavy traffic. I was driving people I did not know well and I started to get tunnel vision. Sweaty palms. I pulled over right before the bridge but there was no exit. So I called my wife and told her my problem. I ended up asking the person I was driving to drive the rest of the way. I hid my problem and called it a migraine. But it was panic.

Ryan92
07-05-14, 01:05
Hi :), My first attack was in drama class at secondary/ high school. The teachers did not understand that I was very anxious, extremely shy and had very low confidence.

What made it worse was I started to be bullied and was coming to terms with my parents divorce. I was a mess but they didn't care, they thought I was refusing to take part in plays etc on purpose :doh:

I was sitting looking down at the floor while my heart was racing, struggling to breath normally. I would refuse to perform in a play or group. I used to shake my head instead of saying no because I was scared to talk, everyone in class was listening, which made it worse :doh:

Sometimes we would do group work that was assessed and graded and I felt sorry for whoever I was with. The teacher said they would fail all the group if I didn't take part which made me panic even more, too much pressure. My anxiety was awful. I refused to take part and then started to feel guilty that I let my group down.

I hated (and still do) attention from many people who are near me in a confined space, like a classroom. It sends my anxiety sky high.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be very good at showing a presentation to a group of people :doh:

They used to give me after school detentions, they didn't understand :doh: and when I went home I would sob and cry.

Joseph12
07-05-14, 12:26
hey i am joesph!
I agree with anthrokid that you never forget your first anxiety attack same is the case with me.First anxiety occurs to me at the age of 20 and now I am 35. Its been 15 years that I am suffering from this disease from the last 15 years and now i am use to this disease but my family members are not getting use to it. They wanted me to eliminate or treat my disease so please every one guide me that how can I recover my panic attack!

GingerFish
15-05-14, 14:15
It seems to be quite common on here that a lot is got our first attacks either at school or early 20s. You guys are right, you never forget your first attack.

Petesy
18-05-14, 13:57
When I was 18 at a robbie williams concert standing in the middle of 50,000 ppl, my mouth went dry thought I was going to swallow my tongue got rushed out the place shaking and not even knowing what the hell just happened!! That happened to me at the end song I'm 31 now and i'm still suffering from this :(

Petesy

AlMc
18-05-14, 14:02
When i was 17 in East Kilbride shopping center. Ended up with four ambulances and a trip to hospital as i thought id had a heart attack, got wheeled in and told panic attack.