PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really panicky and anxious at night?!

Charlotteee89
07-03-14, 23:42
Ughhhhh thought I'd got over this! :wacko:

About 4 weeks ago now I had a panic attack completely out of the blue on a Sunday night which completely threw me! I've had panic attacks in the past when I had Social Anxiety but this was completely different.

After that Sunday I was all over the place for 4 days, all sorts of thoughts rushed through my head at 100mph which made me feel absolutely debilitated.

I've been on & off ever since. I thought I was doing a lot better this past week - feeling positive & relaxed. But nope the anxiety has crept back in again yesterday (on my day off from work may I add) freaking me out, making me feel like I'm losing control again.

I've realised what the problem is though. Because I had such a bad panic attack at NIGHT which made me feel so isolated, imprisoned & lonely I now feel this way pretty much every day as soon as it gets dark. I feel like I'm in prison when I have to shut my curtains (well that's how I felt when I had the original panic attack). The dark subconsciously makes me feel anxious & I dread it coming because my fear is having another panic attack at night. I feel so disconnected to the world at night, I feel 'unreal'. & Of course at night I don't have much to do so I get bored & fed up easily which allows the anxiety to creep back in anyway.

So basically... As soon as it starts to get dark I started dreading it, dreading the thought of feeling anxious & having irrational thoughts, which in turn makes me feel anxious anyway & then irrational thoughts rush through my head... What a nightmare. :wacko:

Anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Any advice on how to deal with it? Sometimes I can snap out of it & think positively but other times I just get too overwhelmed & freak out & nearly have another panic attack.

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 00:02
Hi, Charlotteee89,

I have struggled with panic attacks that always came "out of the blue" as well. In fact, I just had one today- and haven't had one since December. The "aftershocks" last for days often.

You sound very rational and strong….you just have the anticipatory fear of a panic attack holding you hostage. I did experience that, and, Girl, we got to nip this in the bud for you because that "fear of fear" cycle is something you need to break immediately.

The fact that you have already recognized the pattern of night causing you fear is a big deal.

What "distraction techniques" can you use at night? (This site may be a huge help in that area.) Could you schedule some friends to come over in the evenings, or go to the gym for a bit at night? What about finding a new tv series to start, or a project to work on? Could you find a way to make your home space feel a bit less "prison like" to you? Playing music, lighting candles, adding plants, etc?

Are you seeking any actual treatment for your anxiety, and have you spoken with your GP?

Charlotteee89
08-03-14, 00:15
Hi, Charlotteee89,

I have struggled with panic attacks that always came "out of the blue" as well. In fact, I just had one today- and haven't had one since December. The "aftershocks" last for days often.

You sound very rational and strong….you just have the anticipatory fear of a panic attack holding you hostage. I did experience that, and, Girl, we got to nip this in the bud for you because that "fear of fear" cycle is something you need to break immediately.

The fact that you have already recognized the pattern of night causing you fear is a big deal.

What "distraction techniques" can you use at night? (This site may be a huge help in that area.) Could you schedule some friends to come over in the evenings, or go to the gym for a bit at night? What about finding a new tv series to start, or a project to work on? Could you find a way to make your home space feel a bit less "prison like" to you? Playing music, lighting candles, adding plants, etc?

Are you seeking any actual treatment for your anxiety, and have you spoken with your GP?

Yes - I definitely have a fear of a fear! I really hate the fact I feel like this at home, at night, as I used to love being at home, being in my own space, relaxing.

Hmmm, distraction techniques... Well before I used to watch t.v, watch films, go on the internet etc to 'chill out' but now I can't seem to find these enjoyable - I'm too anxious! Too 'aware' now that they are distractions I suppose. That's how annoyingly analytical my mind is.

I went out tonight with family & close family friends for a meal but I didn't enjoy myself to be honest, I was too anxious. I felt so disconnected & unreal & found myself analyzing people around me asking myself questions about myself & about them like "Do they feel so isolated, like I do?!" "Why can't I just enjoy myself like them!" "Look at them over there laughing, joking, why can't I just do that?!" Which really bothered me. But I was very aware that it was night & kept looking out the windows thinking how dark it is.

I've seen my GP who referred me to a Therapist which I've seen this week who's going to start doing CBT & Mindfullness with me. :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 00:33
I think you are going to excel with CBT and Mindfulness as it sounds like you are very intelligent and, as you said, analytical.

One of the things about panic "disorder" is that we become SOOOO sensitized to everything. Bodily sensations, triggers, over thinking our issues, and I can completely relate to how you were "people watching" at dinner.

Check out the sub-forums on the top left side of this page. There is a great link entitled "panic attacks" that you might want to check out.

You can also engage your parasympathetic nervous system (the calming part of the nervous system as opposed to the sympathetic nervous system which is the "fight or flight" response that gets your adrenaline pumping out in a panic attack) by doing some mindfulness breathing exercises.
Sit comfortably and breathe in for four seconds, hold for one or two seconds, and breathe out for 5 seconds. Concentrate only on your breath. Every time your mind wanders bring it right back.

Charlotteee89
08-03-14, 01:09
Aww thank you. :)

It's just so frustrating that my mind is doing this to me especially since I was doing so well for months.

The fact that I am aware that this happens to me at night helps calm me down but of course my anxiety is trying to poke through my relaxed shield to convince me that actually no, it's not because it's night it is actually because you're losing your mind.

It's so annoying. It's so hard to override it too. Just wish I could stop the over thinking. I feel so mentally drained.

& I'll try that. :) Thank you again.

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 01:16
And, if you are just surfing around the site randomly feel free to check out some of my threads of my journey….here is my main one, but I have a couple of others that specifically address my blips.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147031

You are NOT losing your mind, and you are not alone!!!

Charlotteee89
08-03-14, 01:28
I'll have a read of them. :)

I know, but when my anxiety comes it feels like a massive surge of adrenaline (which I persume is actually the case) is bombarding my body & my mind starts racing at 100mph, my body gets stiff, my breathing gets heavier & I feel like I'm losing control. :wacko:

I get horrible bouts of derealization too which makes everything a hell of a lot worse.

Then when I feel relitively 'normal' again I think what the hell was that all about! But then it reminds me of my anxiety & so of course it triggers anxiety all over again...

Such a nightmare of a cycle. :wacko:

I've got a busy day tomorrow & I'm kinda scared of how I'm going to feel which is making me feel anxious as it is.

HeartShapedBox
12-03-14, 00:37
Ughhhhh thought I'd got over this! :wacko:

About 4 weeks ago now I had a panic attack completely out of the blue on a Sunday night which completely threw me! I've had panic attacks in the past when I had Social Anxiety but this was completely different.

After that Sunday I was all over the place for 4 days, all sorts of thoughts rushed through my head at 100mph which made me feel absolutely debilitated.

I've been on & off ever since. I thought I was doing a lot better this past week - feeling positive & relaxed. But nope the anxiety has crept back in again yesterday (on my day off from work may I add) freaking me out, making me feel like I'm losing control again.

I've realised what the problem is though. Because I had such a bad panic attack at NIGHT which made me feel so isolated, imprisoned & lonely I now feel this way pretty much every day as soon as it gets dark. I feel like I'm in prison when I have to shut my curtains (well that's how I felt when I had the original panic attack). The dark subconsciously makes me feel anxious & I dread it coming because my fear is having another panic attack at night. I feel so disconnected to the world at night, I feel 'unreal'. & Of course at night I don't have much to do so I get bored & fed up easily which allows the anxiety to creep back in anyway.

So basically... As soon as it starts to get dark I started dreading it, dreading the thought of feeling anxious & having irrational thoughts, which in turn makes me feel anxious anyway & then irrational thoughts rush through my head... What a nightmare. :wacko:

Anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Any advice on how to deal with it? Sometimes I can snap out of it & think positively but other times I just get too overwhelmed & freak out & nearly have another panic attack.

So wierd I was just telling my friend this is how ive been feeling exactly, apart from the intial panic attack at night you have described it to a T. I feel claustrophobic and trapped in my house as night and like im in a dream. Every little noise im like wtf is that! I feel on the verge of a panic attack as soon as it gets dark. I was on meds and started hallucinating at night so I think thats where its came from. It not as bad at the moment i distract myself with tv or music txt friends, keep my room door open,spend most of the time in the living room cause its large and i dont feel enclosed, remind myself its all in my head and im thinking irrationaly and nothing bads gonna happen....other than that im with u I need help on this one.

Charlotteee89
12-03-14, 02:06
So wierd I was just telling my friend this is how ive been feeling exactly, apart from the intial panic attack at night you have described it to a T. I feel claustrophobic and trapped in my house as night and like im in a dream. Every little noise im like wtf is that! I feel on the verge of a panic attack as soon as it gets dark. I was on meds and started hallucinating at night so I think thats where its came from. It not as bad at the moment i distract myself with tv or music txt friends, keep my room door open,spend most of the time in the living room cause its large and i dont feel enclosed, remind myself its all in my head and im thinking irrationaly and nothing bads gonna happen....other than that im with u I need help on this one.

It's horrible isn't it?! Your home is meant to be a place of sanctuary not a place of stress! I kinda dread coming home from work at night (I work evenings) cause I'm scared of feeling anxious.. So I basically get anxious over the thought of being anxious which just makes it worse. :doh: I try so hard to not think about what my house now makes me feel like (alone, trapped, imprisoned, lonely, etc) but it's difficult when even distractions can't distract you.

It's just our 'fight or flight' response that's being activated... That's what we've got to remind ourselves. :) Don't allow those thoughts to consume us & convince us of being true. It's JUST anxiety. :yesyes:

anxiouskay
12-03-14, 02:37
wow.. i have the EXACT same problem, night time is not my friend last sunday (not this last one) i had a bad one and it lasted around 2-3 hours and the next day i was a mess, i was crying all afternoon and it was around 4pm and it was getting dark and i was crying freaking out telling my fiance i cant do this i cant go threw this anymore i would rather be dead then feel this intense anxiety, and i was screamcrying "the dark is coming!, omg its going to be dark soon!" the dark and being alone at night is my trigger ,anyways as i was saying i suffer from panic attacks at night, well the past two years anyways, its horrible im alone and its dark and quiet and i panic i feel like the only person on earth and i get this hot flush and yep i know, that's when it starts then i get the rapid heart beat pounding out of my chest, the fear of impending doom like im going to die, im going to die and im alone, and that's scary as shit, and i feel nauseous and my mind is going a million miles a minute its just losing control, and of course i will die... well that's what it feels like atm of my panic attack. but no you are so not alone, but i found that (i know it sounds weird) if i eat two bananas around 9 i get super tired by 10 also try chamomile tea.

but always remind yourself which i find helps "this will pass, tomorrow will come "

Charlotteee89
12-03-14, 22:54
It's awful. :weep: I'm getting so frustrated with myself which is making my anxiety worse. I just want to feel 'normal' again, I'm sick of these thoughts. :mad:

When I try to feel positive my mind throws some irrational thought into my head which just makes me feel really angry. I seem to be at the 'angry stage' of anxiety today... I've been feeling so emotional & irritated all day. :unsure: Everything seems to make me feel anxious.

I've also 'forgot' what it feels like to feel 'normal' & have 'normal' thoughts in my head... I've been so consumed with anxiety for 4.5 weeks that I think to myself, will I always be this way? Can I go back to being me?

The over-analyzing just isn't helping. :wacko:

anxiouskay
13-03-14, 02:44
do you have a family doctor or a psychiatrist or therapist you can talk to about it? i haven't been able to get a hold of my psychiatrist/therapist for a while but i went to see my doctor last friday and this monday and i was given a little help just shuffling my anti anxiety meds to the evening to help with night time anxiety instead of the old way i was talking them when they were only kicking in when i was already asleep..

maybe go to you local hospital emergency room and ask for help, if you cant take the way you feel any more there are people qualified in the hospital ready to help you. i know because i've done it myself 4 years ago because the panic attacks and anxiety feelings were so intense.

Charlotteee89
13-03-14, 18:53
I saw my Therapist today :)

I know it's just anxiety but the intense feelings & irrational thoughts can be so debilitating sometimes. You literally feel as though you're going crazy & that your mind is broke.

I feel a bit more relaxed today than yesterday but my anxious thoughts are still annoying me, I just want them gone. But because I have a psychological connection with the night & my panic attacks I know my anxiety probably won't calm down now until daylight. I can go through periods of feeling okay but then I think "Ooo I'm not anxious! Why am I not anxious?!" & that then starts the anxious thinking all over again (according to my Therapist that's VERY common) & I'm always checking myself if I'm anxious or not & it almost feels like if I'm not anxious or having obsessional thoughts then there's something wrong (again very common, she just grinned when I said that... I feel better knowing that that's actually pretty normal with anxiety!)