PDA

View Full Version : For me 'dragon' is the wrong name..

claireypoo
08-03-14, 09:06
But whatever works, works!

Dragon? Not MY HA! I think of my health anxiety as more like Oz in The Wizard of Oz. A tiny, little, git behind a curtain making a lot of noise. You need the little git, SOME fear is good, but you don't need it booming out rubbish and performing trickery 24/7.

I don't call it Oz though. I call it The Little Git.

:)

Thanks to http://www.nothingworks.weebly.com for helping me see that again.

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 14:31
Hey, Claireypoo! :)

I guess I would be the "original" dragon tamer (LOL!) as the metaphor seems to have evolved from my "Musings: The Dragon Within" thread. Funny how it has taken on a life of its own now!

I totally get what you are saying about your HA being like Oz in the "Wizard of Oz." (And, being from Kansas- I always like Dorothy and Toto comparisons! :winks: ) I also like your name for your HA- The Little Git. That made me smile!

I also benefitted greatly from "Nothing Works." One of the first things that really got me pushing forward down that path toward "Recovery."

I talk about this is my original thread, but it is often forgotten that when I refer to my "dragon"-- I am actually referring to myself. To my sympathetic nervous system that is just doing what it is supposed to do--- prepare me for fight or flight. Unfortunately, my SNS acts like it is on steroids and overreacts way too often. I don't have HA, although I have to admit being exposed to it on here so much has introduced thoughts here and there that I have to capture and put in their place.

You sound as if you are in a really good place-- and I notice your join date is 2006-- just want to thank you for hanging around here for so long as I think it has really come to light recently how much those of us that are conquering our "little gits" are needed to balance the amount of fear that is running rampant here.

Oh, one other thing-- your signature quote literally had me laughing out loud. Hilarious!…..And TRUE!!!

Worriedwellornot
08-03-14, 15:08
Hi Claire just followed your link. Really made sense.

claireypoo
08-03-14, 16:36
Ha ha! :) I can see why it is a 'dragon' it certainly does feel dragonish at times! Fire breathing and impossible to ignore! X I got over health anxiety pretty well, back in 2007 - but due to a lot of stress recently, I found myself slipping back into my old, unhealthy, patterns. It creeps up, slowly. First just asking my partner for reassurance, then googling then I thought, "No!" so I got myself a counsellor trained in CBT (a refresher course) and ended up here again. Honestly, not so much to help as be helped. Which I have been. :) I have 'turned the corner' now, for me it's like a 'click' and suddenly I am in the right mindset, it is SUCH a relief, because it's exhausting being terrified all the time. I'm still going through some scary stuff but I can rationalise now.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope you kick your dragon's scaly arse. My Little Git is rubbing it's saggy bottom right now and walking with a limp. :D Xxxx

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

I understand what you mean though about the dragon being you. Ultimately, there is no Little Git or Dragon, just our nervous systems going haywire as a result of stress sensitisation. For me visualising The Little Git shrinking helps. :) So does laughing at it. :) x

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

WorriedWellorNot, It's a great blog, isn't it? X How are you doing today? X

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-14, 21:07
I associate dragons with wisdom but I saw Fishmanpa refer to it being multi headed so how about a Hydra...its dragonlike. When you chop a head off, it grows back multiple heads in its place. Perhaps that would symbolise attacking it from the wrong angle e.g. treating symptoms as they appear the immediate threat, as opposed to attacking the real threat.

Ive not considered it this way but maybe it is helpful to give it a face.

I will have to think of one for mine!

claireypoo
09-03-14, 00:55
I know what you mean, hydra is a good example!
I imagine my Little Git dressed like one of the Tetley Tea workers but with a neon thong underneath. (Sometimes I think anxiety is the least of my issues.) ;p

nomorepanic
09-03-14, 01:04
Mine is not a dragon but Yoda

TooMuchToLiveFor
09-03-14, 01:09
I imagine my Little Git dressed like one of the Tetley Tea workers but with a neon thong underneath. (Sometimes I think anxiety is the least of my issues.) ;p

:roflmao:

Fishmanpa
09-03-14, 01:10

Dragon but Yoda mine is not.

Positive thoughts

TooMuchToLiveFor
09-03-14, 01:12
Dragon but Yoda mine is not.

Positive thoughts

Dang it, FMP! You just beat me to a really bad Yoda impersonation!!

:roflmao: (I mean yours was great,…..mine was going to be pretty painful, but I was so there in spirit!)

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-14, 01:23

Anxious today you are!

Thats made me think of Spaceballs. I am Yogurt, keeper of the schwartz!Spaceballs the toilet paper ha ha!

---------- Post added at 02:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 ----------

I think thats an imagine that would push anyone to counselling ha ha !

Is it about like viewing the people interviewing you but they are as on the toilet, pants around their ankles? I suppose thats one way to dispell anxiety, like that wardrobe in happy potter.

Catherine S
09-03-14, 01:28
My dragon has been around for so long now, he's sometimes a friend but more times an enemy!

TooMuchToLiveFor
09-03-14, 01:29
My dragon has been around for so long so he's a sometime friend , but a more time enemy!

Funny how that works, huh? :)

claireypoo
09-03-14, 08:30
Yoda? Ha!

Oh no, now I'm imagining Yoda in a neon thong. :( (I must stop imagining fictional characters in neon thongs.)

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

Terry! Ha! RIDIKULUS! Yes! I love it!
You know what? The other day I figured out a way to combat intrusive thoughts. There is an episode of Father Ted, the one where they write a song for Euro vision, well, the song is called MY LOVELY HORSE, but I changed the words to IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS. I think it every time I get one now and it is working. I may write a self help book. 'The Father Ted Method'? No? Oh well. :)

ISB, I know what you mean, I suppose our level of familiarity with that part of ourselves becomes almost intimate over time. X

FMP & TMTLF Ha ha ha ha. Wet myself laughing I did.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-14, 06:17
Hy Claire,

I love Father Ted, so just for you...

My IN-TRU IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS,

My IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS (My IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS), making me feel ill (making me feel ill)

Just when I’m dozing, My minds starts going In a spin

I want to smother you with loving thoughts. And break down your defences. Thwart your moves every single day. With the help of my therapist.

My IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS (My IN-TRU-SIVE THOUGHTS), You’re a phoney for sure (You're a phoney for sure).
I’m better now, and you’re not coming back, like a pain in the night…

Like a pain in the night…

The original for rhythym:

My lovely lovely lovely horse.
My lovely horse (my lovely horse), Running through the field (running through the field).
Where are you going, With your fetlocks blowing In the wind?
I want to shower you with sugarlumps. And ride you over fences. Polish your hooves every single day. And bring you to the horse dentist.
My lovely lovely lovely horse.
My lovely horse (my lovely horse), You’re a pony no more (you’re a pony no more). Running around, with a man on your back, like a train in the night…
Like a train in the night. (saxophone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxophone) solo)

:yesyes:

All the best

T

P.S. If you do write a book, I would suggest "F*ck off Anxiety". Did you know there is a book with a similiar title out there?

Mods: The * should be an e. Didn't know if that would be offensive on here.

claireypoo
10-03-14, 07:33
Oh my GOODNESS!

BEST THING EVER!

Thank you! :D