PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with me? :(

RVP
08-03-14, 14:45
Went out last night and I had a panic attack in public..I was so scared, I literally thought I was going to die, my heart was pounding like mad and my hands went tingly.
I panicked so much I rang the ambulance..and I was even asking the shop assistant to sit with me for 2mins so I could regain some sort of sanity.
I was so frightened, but now looking back slightly embarrassed that I did such a thing but I needed someone there just to reassure me and they wouldn't!
Probably the worst panic attack I've ever had because I was with friends but they weren't with me at the time and I was out in public.

cjw
08-03-14, 15:01
I feel for you. I've been there and it's an awful feeling but it is just that......a feeling!! I've started keeping a diary of my feelings and symptoms along with the outcome. Every time I feel bad I look back and see that every time I've had these feelings I ALWAYS get through it!! Bottom line is they they are feelings and you need to accept them, not fight them. Acceptance is tough but you've got through it before and you will again. You've probably heard this before but acceptance is the hardest thing......

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 15:06
RVP-
It is very important when in this cycle not to start getting into a pattern of avoidance. I know this isn't what you will want to do, but could you go back to that same shop today and re-expose yourself?

What are you doing to treat your anxiety? Have you considered the free CBT course offered here?

RVP
08-03-14, 17:21
You both have mentioned acceptance and not avoiding, but what do you mean by that?

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 17:36
Avoiding- meaning that by now avoiding going out, or to that particular shop, or out with friends……is reinforcing in your brain that those things are "dangerous", and that you are "safer" if you stay clear of them. Avoidance is a slippery slope that can end in agoraphobia, or at least a huge loss of freedom.

May I ask- how familiar are you with what is actually happening during a panic attack? The physiology of it?
Are you doing anything to treat your anxiety currently, and have you had any therapy?

Fishmanpa
08-03-14, 17:42
You both have mentioned acceptance and not avoiding, but what do you mean by that?

Hi RVP,

I'm sure you'll get other responses but I wanted to offer an explanation from a non-sufferer perspective.

Essentially, anxiety is a feeling just like any other feeling. By recognizing that, you can begin to accept it. Accepting is the key as trying to fight your anxiety attacks only perpetuate them and reinforce the mindset that they're intolerable to deal with. Keep in mind, accepting it doesn't mean you're resigning yourself to a miserable existence, it just means means you would benefit by accepting reality as it is and for now, your reality includes anxiety. The bottom line is that the feeling of anxiety, while it sucks, is not the end of the world. It's not unlike how I use acceptance with the physical and emotional challenges I face due to my illnesses.

I've had my own bouts with "scanxiety" and "Eyeore" and yes, they prove to be quite challenging, and my own Dragon has found a way to breathe fire down my neck every three months. Fortunately, and partly due to what I've learned here, I can rationalize what's taking place and put out the fire.

Don't confuse acceptance with giving up. On the contrary, acceptance is the best ways to fight the Dragon. So when someone says fight back, know that acceptance is a pretty big sword to wield. That, CBT, Mindfullness and the many other ways to treat anxiety are methods to keep in your arsenal and bag of tricks on the road to recovery.

Positive thoughts

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 17:57
^^^^Well said, FMP! (That is actually so good that you might consider copying and pasting it as its own thread so others that might not be following this thread won't miss it…..)

RVP
08-03-14, 18:41
Thank you, I think I understand what you're saying now, accepting that I have anxiety and not to run away from it?

As for the physiology of the attack, it was actually in the cinema. I just said shop to make it easier, but for about 20 mins I could feel myself becoming more and more anxious, checking my pulse, leaning forward in my seat ect. Then I just had to get out there for fresh air. (baring in mind the cinema was pretty much empty, it was just me and my friends and couple of other people.)

I went to the toilet to see if I could calm myself down and BAM i was in full blown panic attack mode, I went outside and sat down rang my mum rang the ambulance and 5mins later I felt like an idiot because I was fine.
But during the panic attack I felt as if I couldn't control myself, I never lost conciousness but it feels like did I really do that? type of thing. it was horrible.

Oh and as for the treatment of anxiety/panic attacks, I normally do the tapping technique but all those went out of the window as soon as I got to the toilet.

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 19:28
Check this out:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack/

Have you seen your GP about your anxiety? I know that Sertraline and CBT have helped me immensely. Also, cutting out any triggers such as caffeine and alcohol.

LF87
08-03-14, 19:50
Poor you! Panic attacks really are terrifying. I had my first when I was 18 on my first girls holiday in Malia. It was so scary, I felt as though I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy and tingly. I was so scared I actually booked the soonest flight back home, no one could believe I was doing it. I have actually mentally blocked most of the rest of that experience. I don't remember the flight home or being in the airport.
What helped me get a handle on it eventually was the realisation nothing was going to happen to me, and knowing your symptoms and why it's happening.
It's tough, but you just need some brain training in beating panic attacks :) x

X

mummyanxious
08-03-14, 19:50
What is the tapping technique?

Don't be too hard on yourself, but also don't dwell. You can do this, you just need to accept and float on by the feelings as the others have said.