PDA

View Full Version : Update

ballerina
08-03-14, 22:42
I went through a period were I never stopped posting on here, I was obsessed with my health, I thought I wasn't going to make it to the next day every day. Doctors and everyone around me tried to convince me I was a fit and healthy 19 year old girl but I couldn't see it at all.
I thought I had MS, having a heart attack, blood clots, meningitis, sepsis, cancer, everything you can name. I had loads of panic attacks over it, I didn't do any uni work cause I thought what's the point I'm going to die anyway. I could barely leave my house any more, I had panic attacks on buses and in town, my dance teacher had to take me to the walk in for a panic attack because she was worried.
I've struggled with generalised anxiety disorder my whole life, health anxiety came to me last october because I thought a cut I had was infected, I had a panic attack and went to A & E, the HA lasted all the way until February. But now I can say it's almost gone! I do still have some avoidant behaviours, like I won't use a tampon in case I get toxic shock or something. But compared to what I was, going to the doctors every few days, checking my body head to toe, panic attacks every day. I can't believe how far I've come, I thought the HA would never leave!
I believe the HA was like a branch of my GAD rather than a stand alone problem, I can't believe some of you have suffered from it for so much longer than 4 months. :(
Yay I'm so glad you can escape from health anxiety, I hope it never comes back!

katesa
08-03-14, 22:43
Aww well done honey x

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 23:03
Ballerina,
So glad to hear it!! And, want to thank you for coming back to share!

There is recovery, and there is life beyond and outside of our "nervous conditions" whatever they might be.

Wishing you many, many peace filled days!

Fishmanpa
08-03-14, 23:52
I remember those posts... You were a hurtin' pup!

It's great to see that you're recovering. What was it that you did that helped you? Sharing your success and how you managed would be inspirational and others can benefit from your experience :)

Positive thoughts

ballerina
09-03-14, 13:52
A combination of CBT and medication, I was so anxious about trying medication I really didn't want to, but it's helped so much! 40mg fluoxetine a day. It's not a cure but it can get you to a level where you're more rational and can change your way of thinking
I was on the waiting list for CBT for so long, but I finally started it in January, some of the methods are really useful for rationalising your anxieties, like writing down the proof you have that it could happen, but I cannot be your own thoughts, you realise how irrational it is when there is literally no evidence!
because of the meds and therapy I sleep better now, which makes my anxiety lower, and I also avoid caffeine :)

Fishmanpa
09-03-14, 14:42
A combination of CBT and medication, I was so anxious about trying medication I really didn't want to, but it's helped so much! 40mg fluoxetine a day. It's not a cure but it can get you to a level where you're more rational and can change your way of thinking
I was on the waiting list for CBT for so long, but I finally started it in January, some of the methods are really useful for rationalising your anxieties, like writing down the proof you have that it could happen, but I cannot be your own thoughts, you realise how irrational it is when there is literally no evidence!
because of the meds and therapy I sleep better now, which makes my anxiety lower, and I also avoid caffeine :)

And there ya go! I'm glad to see this :) Read up folks!

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
09-03-14, 14:45
Way to go Ballerina. Amazing post and so refreshing. Thanks for sharing your success story with everyone.

anthrokid
10-03-14, 00:10
So fantastic to hear ballerina! Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I hope others can be encouraged by your story! You've made such fantastic changes in your life and you should feel so proud :)