PDA

View Full Version : Just tell me everything will be ok...

Britty
09-03-14, 01:52
Hi, this is my first post on these boards. I have been lurking through the posts for a while but finally decided I needed to make my own post. I don't really know where to start, but I have been dealing with anxiety for a long time (and I never really noticed it). My aunt died of cancer when I was 7 and since that I have had a terrible separation anxiety to my mom (even to this day when I am almost 19) Since her death I remember being more aware of health, much more than a 7 year old should. I remember getting a sore stomach and crying to my mom that I had cancer. It doesn't help that my grandpa (who died when I was 10) was a hypochondriac.

Anyway, since I was small my separation anxiety and sore stomachs were really all that I ever experienced. I never really thought I had anxiety. However, in September my brother had a terrifying scare. Me and my mom and brother were home and were watching movie's and my bro went to the bathroom. When he came out he said his heart was beating fast. My mom took him outside and told him to deep breath. That didn't help and it got worse. We called an ambulance and waited. My brother was crying in pain and telling my mom he loved her. I was running down the driveway repeating 'please God please God' begging the ambulance to arrive. It turns out my brothers heart short circuited. He had tests and the doctor said it may never happen again.

Since then I hold my breath at my brothers every move. If he scratches his chest, I panic. It has gotten better as time goes on but I still catch myself doing it...Then in December, I got a bloody nose, which went down my nose and into my throat. I started spitting out the blood. (obviously since the nose and throat are connected. But I couldn't convince myself of this and begged my mom to take me to emergency. She got me calmed down and it stopped. Since then I have had phlegm in my throat and constantly spit it up (in fear of seeing blood). I also started feeling dizzy around that time and getting headaches. Before long I felt numbness, heart racing, earthquake feeling, dizziness, shakes etc etc. Pretty much every symptom of anxiety listed, I managed to get.

I am deathly afraid of doctors, and scared they are going to tell me I have a terrible disease. I did however manage to go to a therapist twice. I felt better for a few weeks, and the symptoms got better, however the headaches and dizziness persisted. My family and I just got back from a 10 day long vacation, where my anxiety almost completely left me, other than a few small headaches. We got back on Thursday and now my headaches returned. Last night I woke up and the room felt like it was spinning. It freaked me out (this has only happened one other time since all this began) and today I was shaky and my vision felt blurry. Tonight I laid down and closed my eyes for a minute and the room felt like it was spinning again! I am scared to go to bed now...My ear was blocked for the whole ten days of my vacation and unblocked on the plane home (I have had ear issues for a few years) so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it or if it's my anxiety again, or something else...I know I should see my doctor to at least put my mind at ease but I am terrified! I thought I was getting better and now this...

Sorry for such a long post but I just needed to get it all out there. I really just need to be told that everything will be ok. I'm sure half of my symptoms were all in my head but I just keep thinking what if? I'm even scared to post this for a fear of the responses telling me something scary! Anyway thanks for letting me vent.....

Dissolved girl
09-03-14, 02:20
Hey there

It is perfectly normal to worry about your own health and your loved ones.

I am not sure i am going to be of much help but the fact that the anxiety went away when you were on holiday suggests to me that you are thinking about things way too much. You need to try and take your mind off of these health worries. I know it's incredibly difficult but it sounds like the constant worry of the 'what ifs' are making you anxious.

Try and forget about the 'what ifs' and focus on the here and now. At the moment everything is OK.
I can't imagine anything bad will happen to you or your family. I am sure if there was something seriously wrong with your brother the doctors would have picked it up.
The headaches and dizziness you are experiencing maybe because you are so on edge all the time! Your probably feeling a little exhausted.

Everyone gets little health worries here and there. I understand (having anxiety myself) that you can run your mind ragged!

If you would like to try some therapy look at this site;
https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

It is free and uses CBT therapy to try and re-programme your brain, it may be of some use to you

Try and take your mind off of those negative thoughts. There is no point in worrying yourself so badly other something that will probably never happen : )

Xx

Britty
09-03-14, 18:41
Thank you for your response! I know that I am thinking about things too much! I can't seem to help it! I've been trying to tell myself, 'why would my symptoms decide to leave during my vacation if it was anything other than anxiety?' I just hate it because every time I think I'm getting better and can tell myself it's just anxiety, I get a completely new symptom and I freak out again!! I'm used to the headaches and dizziness (since they are my main symptom) but this dizziness where I lay down and the room spins is freaking me out! It makes me so nauseous and scared. It happened all night last night and I try to tell myself it was because I was scared it would happen again so it did, but in the back of my head I keep thinking maybe it is something wrong!! Has anyone experienced this? This is the first time I am so freaked out I am almost willing to see a doctor...

Phuzella
09-03-14, 18:49
See a doctor about your ears:)