PDA

View Full Version : REally scared I might get bse from bonemeal in the garden

Nighttime pacer
09-03-14, 18:43
Hi all
I'm so scared about this I'm shaking as I type.
I did some gardening back in about September. I planted some trees and bought some bonemeal fertiliser to use. I had loads left over and the tub has been sitting in my garden. I finally got round to moving it today and it was full of water so I poured the rest of the bonemeal at the bottom of my garden and I'll dig it in tomorrow.
I've now read you should use a mask when using bonemeal as you could get bse or cjd (mad cow disease) from breathing in the dust.
I'm so scared now. I don't know what to do about the pile of it at the bottom of my garden.
I didn't wear a mask when I used it in the summer and it was dry.
I feel sure I'll get bse or cjd now.
Sooo scared and so sick of my terrible health anxiety.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Nighttime Pacer

Phuzella
09-03-14, 18:53
Where did you read that?

Nighttime pacer
09-03-14, 18:56
I did an internet search about bonemeal safety and it came up. Apparently one of the first people to get mad cow disease was a vegetarian who used bonemeal in the garden. It's breathing in the dust which is dangerous it seems.
I'm sooo scared it's ridiculous.

Annie0904
09-03-14, 19:30
This is a quote from net doctor "I'm not aware of any definitely proven cases of transmission of new variant CJD via bonemeal. In fact, I think the search is still on for a definite source of contamination in individual case, or clusters of cases. I recall that bonemeal was suggested as a theoretical infective source of the CJD agent (prion) at one time, but I don't think it has been proven. I would assume that Government assurances that BSE infected animals are no longer in the food chain would also apply to other products from infected animals."

I assume from that, that there will be strict controls regarding fertilisers now, just the same as there is with meat. I am sure you have no cause for concern.

Phuzella
09-03-14, 19:35
I agree with Annie

Fishmanpa
09-03-14, 19:44
If you Google "aliens", there will be thousands of posts, articles and videos saying they live among us. While some people I've met could qualify, I don't believe it's true ;)

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find just about anything that will give you cause for worry. As Annie posted and in a quick look see, this is the thing urban legends are born of and something you might see in the daily news as sensationalism and untrue. In an article published by Organic Consumers Association, it said "Honestly, the chances of getting killed using a rototiller are a lot greater."

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
09-03-14, 20:01
Thanks everyone that's really helped.
Cyber hugs and kisses to all of you. I do wonder at times what I'd do without this brilliant website.
I'm starting to think maybe my GP was right although I was furious at his approach at the time.
After I explained all my concerns about everything.....
He said "We're all going to die of something, you've just got to get on with it".

Thanks again,
Nighttime Pacer

Nighttime pacer
10-03-14, 19:42
Hi all
I'm now back where I started after reading that even doctors were advising a while ago not to use bonemeal. The royal horticultural society were recommending that people use a mask.
I'm now really panicking. I may get an appointment with a neurologist, not sure if it'll do anything to set my mind at ease.
I don't know what to do anymore, I just want my life back.
Thanks all
Nighttime Pacer

Phuzella
10-03-14, 19:54
I just read that the RHS said it's OK for gardeners to use bonemeal

Nighttime pacer
10-03-14, 22:47
Hey thanks for that. I had a look on the RHS website and they seem to think it's safe. I'm still not completely convinced but isn't that always the problem with health anxiety?
Thanks everyone
Nighttime Pacer

Nighttime pacer
15-03-14, 00:52
Hi all
I'm still really scared about this. Although I read on the RH site that it's safe due to suspect material not being used and the pressure cooking method, it sounds a bit vague to me.
I saw my GP who said it's really rare and really unlikely I'll have a problem. She did say that if I get any symptoms they'll check me out. That freaked me again as it's always fatal if you get it!
I've made an appointment with a neurologist who has a lot of knowledge about cjd (human bse). I'm almost scared to tell him in case he gives me bad news. I know it's really rare and unlikely especially as the fertiliser manufacture is strictly controlled.
I know I shouldn't be this scared but my health anxiety just has to know that something's just about possible and I assume I'm gonna get it.
My life's just so hard at the moment.
Nighttime Pacer

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-14, 01:10
Try to think this way. Bonemeal is widely available from high street stores. If it were potentially dangerous, it wouldnt be or it would be considered a controlled industrial substance.

Ive got some and in the safety advice it doesnt say to wear a mask. Now if they should be putting one on, they would be liable.

Wearing masks is often advised when working with materials that cause dust. So, are they advising to wear masks specifically due to BSE?

Your GP made a pointless flippant remark. Perhaps he/she were having a bad day? If it keeps occurring you may need to remind them of acceptable conduct.

Fishmanpa
15-03-14, 01:35
I have the answer ;) .... As it's extremely unlikely this is an issue, refrain from using it in the future and switch to natural fertilizers (basically poo!) It may smell bad but it works!

Positive thoughts

Nighttime pacer
15-03-14, 18:18
Hi all
I've made an appointment to see a Neurologist so I can get some definitive info about the whole issue. I must say though as it's so unlikely and 2 GPs and an nhs direct nurse and the manufacturers of the fertiliser and someone at Defra and the Royal Horticultural website have all said it's really unlikely, I'm probably ok. One thing is definite though, I'll never use it again. The surplus I've poured onto the garden (wet so no dust) and covered it in top soil and gravel. Totally over the top but I feel safe.
I'll be glad to get my Neurologist on Thursday to get it out of the way and calm down (I hope!).
Thanks all
Nighttime Pacer

Phuzella
15-03-14, 18:52
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine but I know how easy it is to get worked up over things, I've done it myself.

Nighttime pacer
15-03-14, 23:11
I freaked again today as I remembered that I got tge hose to wet the fertiliser before I covered it in topsoil and as I had the hose on it a drop of water splashed up onyo my arm. i was only wearing a t shirt though I had gloves and a mask on. I'm guessing as I immediately washed my arm with loads of water I shoild be ok.
I'm seeing a therapist to start CBT and other therapy. This health anxiety's taken over my life. I want my life back. I'm constantly phoning helplines for reassurance and speaking to doctors. I'm sick of living like this.
Nighttime pacer