PDA

View Full Version : Change in Job role...

NervousA1
10-03-14, 13:02
Hi all, just here to vent mainly. I work for a large retail company, my role was to pull the delivery in and basically put it away, and sometimes handing goods out to customers which I don't like but manage to do!

But now everything is changing, everyone going to be doing the same role. This means working on a till, trying to push for insurances/store cards dealing with customer queries, arranging repairs on items. That is way out of my comfort zone!

Seems like they don't care about the quiet people that are comfortable working in the background. So its either do it or quit now.

A few people have already walked, the new process is coming into effect in the next couple of weeks.

Part of me wants to get the hell out of there, but if I do I dunno if i'll be able to get another job. So its a bit of a predicament to be in.

As i'm the quiet reserved type... What do you think I should do? Grin and try to bare it or run for the hills and be unemployed. :scared15:

Oosh
10-03-14, 22:10
I think you should stay and do the new job. I was forced to do some thing similair last year. A year on, I'm still uncomfortable but I am more confident in those new things I have to do and you will be too.

You learn things about yourself when forced out of your comfort zone.
You develop strategies, perspectives, skills to get through it and this will be what gives you more self belief in the long run.

Deal with customers, be someone who's good at that because you are honest, helpful and try your best to please them. Others might be rude or snotty but you'll be liked because you're helpful.
Afterall customers don't want your life story or a bond they can take to the grave they just want help.

In a years time you may even think this change has been a good thing.

Charlotteee89
10-03-14, 23:15
I think you should stay & try this new way. :)

I know how scary it feels to do something new, especially when it's something way out of your comfort zone - I was in the same predicament last year when I got my first ever job which was also in retail, customer focused.

With my SAD I've stopped running away from whatever I'm scared off & slowly learnt to 'expose' myself to the things, albeit gradually. It's really helped my quality of life, for many years I was house bound... Now I can't stand being at home too long, it drives me crazy! I just want to live my life & stop being so scared.

It definitely takes a lot of strength to do it but I bet in the end, you'll feel a lot better in yourself for at least trying! I will be hard at first though, but trust me, you'll be okay. :D

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-14, 02:06
I think you should try but in a controlled was as in Exposure Therapy. Small bits and build it up.

Mental health issues are covered under the disability descrimination act so employers have to look for reasonable adjustments. So, perhaps check you are covered under that.

Do they have occupational nurses? You could go to them so they help to determine how you could adjust to the changes.

NervousA1
13-03-14, 15:58
Hi all thanks for the replies. :)

I had another go on the tills today, with another member of staff supporting me. Had to get a fair bit of help all the different options on the till etc confuses me, manager seems a little concerned I told him it's a confidence thing, and I will keep trying other wise I will have to leave.

Felt like a nervous wreck today, customer standing infront of me, member of staff beside me. Kept pressing the wrong buttons now and again, arghhh it was horrible just wanted to get the hell out of there lol.

I have always been very quiet and reserved, even at school I just kept by myself, even afraid to ask teachers for help etc. Lifes just so hard I want to feel comfortable that only happens when I'm at home.

I never signed up for this job, when I started it was behind the scenes which I was ok and happy with. My mind keeps telling me to quit and find another job, like in a warehouse or something.

This is making me feel ill right now. :weep:

Charlotteee89
13-03-14, 19:11
When I got my first ever job last year I really struggled the first month or two! So nervous & panicky.

I had suffered Social Anxiety for YEARS previously & had been doing exposure therapy for about a year up till this point. It was a massive challenge for me to be in a retail environment & actually just communicating with different people everyday. But I stuck with it & I'm so glad I did! It is really about self confidence, something I still don't have massive amounts off but it's bearable. :)

If you feel it's too much too soon or too much in a small amount of time, talk to your employer to see if they can make small steps with you. They aren't allowed to discriminate. But I know it's difficult & embarrassing talking about confidence problems with people higher up than you (gosh my manager figured it all out for herself as I really struggled to express myself or talk coherently in her presence!).

Self confidence & self esteem are very difficult things to master, but actually tackling them will help you so much in the end. :D

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-14, 21:14
Make sure you understand your rights. A good place to start is the CAB site.

Your contract has been changed to include work you were not contracted to perform. By continuing, you agree with the terms so right now you may be able to agree reasonable adjustments under the disability discrimination act if you qualify.

It will be really good for you to prove to yourself that you can do it, but your employer has an obligation to you wellbeing in the workplace, so there may be things you can do.