PDA

View Full Version : Facing my fear

Sam100322
10-03-14, 15:27
Hi all. Before I new I suffered from panic attacks or anxiety I was at the cinema and all of a sudden I thought I was going to pass out out of no where. Freaked me out completely did know why I felt like it thought it was a one off but then it happened again. Now I know I had suffered a panic attack there and have avoided going ever since. Tonight I want to face that fear. I can already feel myself panicking a bit I am being picked up at 6.30, I want to do it without taking propanolol what do you guys think?

ankietyjoe
10-03-14, 16:00
Do it

The worst that can happen is that you'll have a panic attack, and nothing happened when you had one before.

Keep telling yourself that you are in control (which you are) of your reaction.

If you have an attack then just relax and breathe slowly. Tell yourself it's just another panic attack. Tell yourself you can leave any time you want, take a pill any time you want and once you go home you know you'll feel better, therefore you know it's just a panic attack.

You'll be fine, and good luck :)

Sam100322
10-03-14, 16:14
Thanks joe very good advice mate :-) Nothing happened last time except for a panic attack and it did hurt me it was very uncomfortable but didn't hurt :-)

TooMuchToLiveFor
10-03-14, 16:20
Hey Sam-
The cinema was one of my big tests once I was nearing recovery……I took my Xanax with me, but didn't plan on taking it. The crowd of people was a bit nerve wracking at first (I was coming out of agoraphobia caused by panic attacks at that time), but what got me was the highly stimulating lights and sounds when the previews started on the big screen. I started to panic, but I let myself feel it for a bit- realized it wasn't going to hurt me, but then let myself take a pill to take the edge off. I ended up being just fine, and was so empowered!
Next time I took the pills, but didn't need them at all.
You can do this!!!
Excellent step, my friend! Let us know how it goes!

Sam100322
10-03-14, 16:49
Thank you very much I always have many drugs in my wallet ( all legal) just in case I need them but haven't taken any for a very long time :-) ill post again after I've seen the film which is either robocop or 300 rise of an emporer depending on which is empty as 300 only just come out and will probably be full

GingerFish
10-03-14, 16:53
Good luck with going to the cinema, being anywhere with lots of people such as a shop or the cinema puts me into a full on panic too so I know how hard it can be but the main thing is you are going to fight it and power through it!

Enjoy the film :)

Sam100322
10-03-14, 17:11
Thanks a lot :-) I'm going with my brother in law even if I feel bad ill force myself through it don't want to spoil it for him

t0rt01se36
01-08-16, 20:53
Theatres and Cimema's are my worse nightmare , cos they're the type of place which would set me off panicking and I can't relax. Good on you Sam for still going to the Cinema and facing your fears. :yesyes: