PDA

View Full Version : Sleep problem

Pet59
10-03-14, 16:43
Hi guys,
I haven't posted on here but have been on checking up on everything. I feel that bit by bit I'm getting better....or at least I thought I was until today!!

I came home from work and lay down for a nap and about an hour later I woke with a start, with the feeling that I couldn't breathe, I sat up, didn't have a clue where I was, how I got there, what time it was, I stood up and got my phone and dialled a friend on speed dial and then eventually came around.

I'm now concerned something is going on in my head? Was it panic? Was it being woken from a deep sleep? Is it over tiredness? Is it anxiety?

I really don't want to go back to the depths I have previously been in :(

anthrokid
13-03-14, 00:22
Sometimes our sleep is disrupted suddenly and we wake up with a start. This is unexpected to our body and causes something similar to the 'fight/flight' response, which means our adrenaline increases breifly and we experience feelings of anxiety (e.g. fast heartbeat, feeling of not being able to breathe, fast breathing, fear). Regarding your disorientation (not knowing where you were, how you got there, etc.) - this is actually something that is quite common upon waking or going to sleep. When it occurs going to sleep, it is called hypnogogic, and upon waking it is called hypnopopic (I think those are the correct terms). It's difficult to explain, but in simple terms it's kind of like your body wakes up, but it takes a while for your brain to register that you've woken up - resulting in a sense of disorientation, confusion, etc.

It's important to remember that there doesn't have to be a reason for this - it can just happen. It sounds like you'e probably just suffered a hypnogogic jerk (sudden jerk whilst sleeping) which has woken you up suddenly, and your brain has just taken a while to register that you are awake.

jill
14-03-14, 19:15
Hi Hun :D

You have had some great advice already:yesyes:

I have had this happen a few times in the past, its NOTHING to be concerned about, but hun, PLEASE TRY and NOT put to much importance on this, just put it down to one of those things...

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX