PDA

View Full Version : New user needs advice please.

Mrsh11
10-03-14, 19:30
Hi everyone.
Have been struggling with GAD for a few years but have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks. I have been finding it a real help to know I am not alone with this condition. At the moment things are worse than usual as I went through a redundancy situation just before Xmas and although I have a new job the stress levels are much higher than I am used to. I can't relax at all and have been put on propanolol for the physical symptoms like shaking, palpitations, and sweating. I am also on citalopram. Anxiety feels like it is taking me over and I am desparate to feel normal again. I had CBT last year but did not find it helpful. I have no idea where to turn and any advice or support would be amazing. Thanks.

MRS STRESS ED
10-03-14, 19:42
Hello and welcome Mrsh you have come to the right place for help and support x

Jaco45er
10-03-14, 19:47
Hi and welcome :)

Ex sufferer of GAD, been on cit for a short while and the beta blockers too.

If I were to offer advice? Find an exercise you can enjoy and stick at, this will use up all that extra adrenaline that is produced through your thoughts when in an anxiety state.

Grab a copy of Claire Weekes Hope & Help for your Nerves, this will demystify the anxiety, making it less scary and "fingers crossed" should go some way to diminish that "am I the only one who gets this?" Lonely feeling.

Eat well, very important. I don't mean eat well as in having a beef burger with your steak and kebab ;), fresh fruit and vegs, help the body become stronger and more robust to feelings brought on by "faulty thinking"

Sleep (I'm not trying to hypnotise you ;)), hit the hay at the same time every night, no stimulants before rest, no coffee etc. Leave the smartphone outside the bedroom.

Avoid stress, yer I know, man walks into a bar, a joke, but yes, if you can control a stressful situation, as in walking away instead of arguing. Do it, when you're better, you can go back and kick their asses.

These are just a few pointers, but I am sure there will be more advice too :)

Mrsh11
10-03-14, 19:55
Thanks, I am making an effort with what I eat and I especially find low blood sugar makes me feel worse. I will look for that book as well.