PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have social phobia?

SunShine
26-07-04, 10:18
So does anyone have social phobia and if so anyone being taking medicine for it? Which ones? sorry for being nosey[:I]

Karen
26-07-04, 13:09
Hi Sunshine

I have social phobia. I'm not taking any medication mainly because I'm too scared to see my GP.

I have just started seeing a hypnotherapist for this and also because I'm suffering from depression.

Have you had any treatment?

Briary

seh1980
26-07-04, 17:40
Hi Sunshine,

I've been suffering from agoraphobia for the past year but am much, much better now. I've been taking Cipralex since November, which has helped me loads. I also see a therapist on a regular basis. Are you taking anything?

Sarah (seh1980)

HB
26-07-04, 21:49
i suffer from agraphobia through my fear of sickness, it is horrible.

I was on a big dose of citalopram every day but i have just been taken off them coz i havent panicked for a while, how about yourself?

H

snowman
26-07-04, 22:22
I have been sufferng social phobia for about 10 years which has resulted in Depression too. Tried seroxat which worked but bad to get off, then Ciprolex for 6 months which helped with the depression and now bee recommended Effexor which I'm stil not sure about taking. Need to take second one tomorrow and not looking forward to it. Don't know why social phobia got a grip onme as I used to do a lot of stage work and representing my company at functions. It just all seemed to catch up on me after I had a bad relationship and a bullying boss!! So no doubt self esteem plays apart. Still find it hard to sometimes go into a crowded pub and stuff.

SunShine
28-07-04, 13:05
Is agraphobia simular to social phobia/anxiety?

Yep. I am on medication called Paxil and just been using it for the past 3 days, and also on the waiting list for behavioural therapy(CBT). I have had this problem ever since I remember (for 15 years and I am now 19) and it is horrible, to the point where life felt like a waste. School was the worst part of my life.:(

Meg
28-07-04, 14:43
Agoraphobia is a fear of being anywhere or in situations where you feel that its difficult to get out from in a hurry should you feel uncomfortable.

So for a social anxiety sufferer that may be a formal dinner party, for a panicer it may be a shop check out queue.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Caz Fab Pants
28-07-04, 15:17
Hi Sunshine,

Yes my agoraphobia seems to have taken a turn towards social phobia although it seems so silly as I've always been very sociable and quite outgoing!!??

I'm currently taking Lustral which seems to be helping but used to take Clomipramine which I also found quite good. Neither of these work miracles but they take the edge off the panic attacks when they occurr and definitely reduce my day to day anxiety.

Hope you find some useful info on here to help you over come your problems, you're so young (same age I was when mine first started and I'm now 30!!) Dont let life pass you by, try to beat this thing, we're all rooting for you :)

Hugs,
Caroline [:I]

SunShine
28-07-04, 16:58
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Agoraphobia is a fear of being anywhere or in situations where you feel that its difficult to get out from in a hurry should you feel uncomfortable.

So for a social anxiety sufferer that may be a formal dinner party, for a panicer it may be a shop check out queue.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 28 July 2004 : 14:43:58</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">Hi Meg, I also find it difficult to get out of social situations when feeling uncomfortable... I do have some simular symtoms for agrophobia also.[V]

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Sunshine,

Yes my agoraphobia seems to have taken a turn towards social phobia although it seems so silly as I've always been very sociable and quite outgoing!!??

I'm currently taking Lustral which seems to be helping but used to take Clomipramine which I also found quite good. Neither of these work miracles but they take the edge off the panic attacks when they occurr and definitely reduce my day to day anxiety.

Hope you find some useful info on here to help you over come your problems, you're so young (same age I was when mine first started and I'm now 30!!) Dont let life pass you by, try to beat this thing, we're all rooting for you :)

Hugs,
Caroline [:I]

<div align="right">Originally posted by Caz Fab Pants - 28 July 2004 : 15:17:27</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">Thanks caroline.... :) I think for me I also had agoraphobia which has now gone to social phobia. It's horrible. It's not me and I know one day I will get out of this mess. I was feeling so low that even at 17 I was feeling like going on to 69 lol[:I]