PDA

View Full Version : Weird heart sensations at the onset of sleep?

Sabre120
11-03-14, 11:31
I was wondering if anyone has here has had these, but after my panic attack last night, I have been desperately trying to get some sleep, but every time I'm about to drop off my heart feels like it stops and brings me over in a wave of anxiety, it's a terrifying experience to say the least and has happened more than a few times this evening.

Catherine S
11-03-14, 12:01
Hi Sabre, hope you're feeling a bit better this morning. I can relate to that feeling and know that its a horrible sensation. Its also hard to describe I know. My experience of it is that it feels like at the point when i'm drifting into sleep my body lurches me awake and the feeling is a bit like falling and being caught just for a split second. I don't get many nights like that nowadays, and it only seemed to happen if I hadn't slept well for a few nights which i'm assuming would then increase my stress levels and my mind would then be overtired...much like a child can be...and its your mind that controls your body.

There are some good natural relaxants around these days and Rescue Remedy is particularly good and has a night time strength too I believe.

SarahH
11-03-14, 14:24
There are many many threads about this subject on NMP. Try a search and you will find lots of info to ease your mind.
This is something that happens when people are anxious

Sarah

mummyanxious
11-03-14, 14:28
I think this is a very common thing with anxiety. I've not worked out whether its your heart does go into a different rhythm or whether because you momentarily loose consciousness you loose awareness of your heart beating so it feels like it stops if that makes sense.

rebeccad
11-03-14, 18:31
I've also had this recently and it's very very scary, I recently posted about this and somebody gave me some great advice take a peek , I think it's like an adrenaline surge x

Sabre120
11-03-14, 19:01
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it and its comforting to hear that I am not alone in this experience, I'm feeling a bit better now albeit a little drained from the emotional toll of dealing with this for the first time.