PDA

View Full Version : Pheochromocytoma interesting symptoms

Vigilante
11-03-14, 18:09
Hello all,

My Doctors are pondering over testing me for a Pheochromocytoma, an adrenal tumor (usually benign says dr google). At the moment they are keeping an eye on my symptoms as well sending me to an endocrinologist I am already with for the last couple of years.

What I find interesting is it actually causes exactly the same symptoms as anxiety/fight or flight response....due to it over producing the same hormones that are released in fight of flight.

Headaches
dizzyness
blushing
high blood pressure
sweating

and so on.

I know the likely hood or me actually having this is hm..... 1/100,000 sort of chance but interesting none the less.

What has alerted my Drs is my blood pressure being crazy at an age of 32, as well as actually having all the symptoms listed.

I had a hot flush kind of attack just 20 mins ago, as an experiement I dropped to the floor an did 12 pressups/pushups with unbelievable ease.....I could have done 40/50 no doubt which says to me adrenaline release and increased strength. Anxiety or this though? hmm :unsure:

TooMuchToLiveFor
11-03-14, 18:49
Hey Vig,
When I first started with my GP (who has known me for a very long time) she immediately thought thyroid, then cortisol imbalance, then hormonal imbalance…..when those tests all came back clear she tested me for Pheo as well. She was not worried about it at all even if it was as she said they are so often benign that you could nearly say they are "always benign" (her words). Because she knows me so well and my medical history she actually went to this conclusion before what we finally came to as panic disorder. Waiting on those tests sent my anxiety/panic into a super-storm.
When it came back clear and she sat me down to explain that after all this she had no doubt I was dealing with acute panic/anxiety it was hard to believe. But, she was right.
Anyway, you are the first person that I have seen bring up this diagnosis, so I wanted to touch base with you.

Vigilante
11-03-14, 19:53
Hey TooMuch thanks for the reply, I think my Drs are thinking like yours, to be honest I had not even heard of it until yesterday morning when I caught a glimpse of the endos letter to my Dr.

The thing that is making me worry at the moment is my blood pressure, an ace inhibitor does not seem to control it but beta blockers do. If I try to not take a beta blocker for one day my blood pressure is back at 150/100 readings.

TooMuchToLiveFor
11-03-14, 20:37
Hmmmm… well, I am not a doctor, so I don't have much input for you, but you do sound very rational and are doing what sensible people do….just waiting to hear from your doctor.
The good thing about it is…..even if it is that- it is totally treatable and my doctor was very peaceful the whole time when discussing it. LOL- isn't it funny how anxiety works though,….sometimes I just wish I would have had a pheo, had it removed and been done with it. :wacko: