PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis/Seizure?

MidnightCalm
11-03-14, 19:26
Earlier I napped, after having only slept 2 hours last night.
Not only do I wake a lot (as seen in previous thread) gasping for air with a rapid heart but sometimes I wake and can't move.
It's happened in the past where I've opened my eyes, felt half dreaming still and been unable to move for a few seconds but today it was intense.
I woke up, but I couldn't keep my eyes open, they were like flickering. I was half dreaming and half seeing my room in reality, I couldn't keep my eyes open, I was fighting to wake up. It lasted about 20 seconds. I was so coherent that I remember thinking I need to wake up from this dream, try smacking yourself, I thought I was smacking myself but I obviously wasn't, are you breathing okay or have you stopped? Try shouting. I "shouted" but it turns out I hadn't as nobody heard me so I must have shouted in my dream.
I just remember my eyes flickering really hard, like I was straining to stay awake whilst my body was fighting to keep me asleep. I woke up after about 20 seconds and was terrified, heart racing.
It was the most horrible thing. I've read up on sleep paralysis and it seems the same but what I don't understand is why everybody else says their eyes are open, mine blinking rapidly. I wasn't shaking or anything, or "seizuring" as I would think it happens, and I know/think I was breathing perfectly fine. It was kind of like REM (rapid eye movement) but with my eyes open but i wasn't awake. I was looking at my room but I was asleep 50% I'd say.
Help??? I feel like this anxiety is manifesting itself in many more ways daily and now I can't even get away from it in sleep???

mgw
11-03-14, 19:32
Hey, I haven't experienced exactly the same as you, but I do experience what I think is sleep paralysis. For me, my eyes are never open. Sometimes it feels as if they have opened for a second and then they stay shut, and I can't open them!
I've found this doesn't happen as much if I don't sleep on my back, and get regular sleeping patterns.
It really is a horrible experience, so frightening! But remember, nothing bad can happen to you in it xx

JoeM89
11-03-14, 19:41
Hiya. I've had similar problems too, so I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes I don't want to go to sleep at night because i'm scared of getting sleep paralysis again. It really is one of the most horrible feelings, but like mgw said, nothing bad can actually happen to you.

MidnightCalm
12-03-14, 00:33
I have to just convince myself it is harmless and hope it won't happen again.

mgw
12-03-14, 00:37
It is completely harmless, an I'm sure I read somewhere there's a link to it happening an anxiety sufferers. It's all to do with REM sleep and stuff. When it happens to me I read that if you focus on moving something like your little toe or finger it helps come out of it. Don't worry about it, it won't hurt you x