PDA

View Full Version : Travel Help

JoeM89
11-03-14, 19:38
Hi everybody

A couple of months ago, me and my girlfriend booked to go on one of the mini cruises to Bruges from Hull, which at the time of booking I was confident with. However, the cruise is now less than 2 weeks and i'm starting to get really nervous. I'm terrified of having a panic attack on board with nowhere to go. Has anybody been on one of these cruises before with anxiety/panic? I'm pretty sure i'll be ok once I actually step foot on Belgian soil. It's just being on the ship that i'm worried about.

Thanks!
Joe

MRS STRESS ED
11-03-14, 20:16
Joe just try and relax your going to enjoy yourself ,and what your doing is saying to yourself im going to panic how about saying im going to have a great time try not to over think things esspecially before its happened have a great time xx

Annie0904
11-03-14, 21:35
Visualise yourself there on the boat happy and having a great time. I had worse case scenario on a plane, a terrible panic attack but like all panic attacks it passed by and I got to my destination and had a great time :)
Think positive and enjoy your holiday :)

Zingything
11-03-14, 22:40
Hi Joe

Yes many years ago I went on the same mini cruise. Overnight on board, a day in Bruges then overnight on the boat back to Hull. It's not at all as bad as you're imagining. The cabins are ok, like a box room, but you won't be in your cabin for long as you'll be eating in the restaurant, watching a film in the cinema, having a drink and a dance or stood on deck watching the sunset. Even when it's dark you can sit on the deck, the breeze in your face, the sound and the smell of the sea, the feeling of having space.

You'll be fine, and Bruges is lovely, gorgeous chocolates and handmade lace, beautiful rows of houses with colourful pointed rooflines, horse-drawn carriages and canal boat trips.

It's such good fun you will love it, and won't have time to panic. Like others have said, if you do have a panic attack it will pass and you can always go and look out at the sea or go to your cabin for a lie down. I'm quite envious.

Why don't you get a guide book or look online at Bruges, is there a museum that you would like to visit? etc.

Which ferry company is it? When we went it was North Sea Ferries but I'm not sure that they're around any more.

I'm sure you'll be fine. In my own experience, the reality is never as bad as you imagine it to be. xx

JoeM89
12-03-14, 19:28
Thank you so much everybody for your replies. I really appreciate it. I'm going to attack the holiday with a positive mental attitude and just try to relax as much as possible. Nothing is going to stop me from going!

Zingy - I'm travelling with P&O so the ship shouldn't be too shabby. Glad you enjoyed it so much when you went over. I can't wait to try the chocolates and beer!

Thanks again.

Zingything
12-03-14, 21:03
Have a great trip x

Catherine S
13-03-14, 00:54
I know the feeling Joe, I'm due to fly in May and there's even less space to run to in a panic on a plane! So think I prefer to be on your cruise lol! But I've been reading the tips on the nervous of flying website, written by jumbo jet pilots and that's helped. As everybody has already said, with this kind of fear its always the dread of it that's worse than the actual experience. We panic more with the thought of it and somehow seem to cope fine with the actual event.

JoeM89
14-03-14, 18:50
I don't think there's any way I could even think about gettting on a plane at the moment, so you're already doing better than me! You're right though, it's all the dread and horrible thoughts that lead up the event that make the event seem far worse than it actually is. I'm positive we'll both be absolutely fine and enjoy our trips! Where are you flying to? Anywhere exotic?

william wallace
14-03-14, 22:20
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02382/Bruges-night_2382110b.jpghttp://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/files/images/belgian-beer.jpghttp://multiculturalfoodlovers.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/belgian_chocolate.jpg

Nuff said?