PDA

View Full Version : Worried about news

daisymaisy
11-03-14, 20:53
Please help. After thinking I had conquered my anxiety about world events I'm now completely panic stricken by events in Ukraine. So much so that I can't relax at all. I just keep going over all the worst possible scenarios and can't switch off. Does anyone else think like this and how do you cope. I'm desperate.

Oosh
11-03-14, 21:09
You'd be better avoiding the news altogether these days. You're not missing anything by not knowing what's going on thousands of miles away.

There's something to be said for only knowing what goes on in your immediate surroundings. Events in far away places aren't really going to affect day to day events in your street.

People are paid to think about and sort out those far away things. Leave them to it and let them do the worrying.

MRS STRESS ED
11-03-14, 21:14
Hi daisymaisy ,when my anxiety was really bad I worried about anything and everything ,as I started to get better I realised some things in life are out of my controll and it might happen it might not, but I decided I cant live life worrying about things that may or may not as my gp says dont worry be concerned x

PanchoGoz
11-03-14, 21:28
Good post by Oosh, couldn't agree more.

Ryan92
12-03-14, 01:27
Hi daisymaisy, I know what you mean about events on the news, I avoid watching the news as much as possible. When I do watch the news it can sometimes make me feel even more down or anxious. You just need to try and avoid the news at the moment, just a suggestion but maybe you could watch a comedy to cheer you up or your favourite tv show or a dvd :D. Do an activity/interest or a hobby, catch up with family or friends. (try and talk about positive events etc, of course) :) Look online for ways to manage anxiety. If you have a look online, you might remember some techniques/ways you may have forgotten or not used in a while. You say you conquered anxiety in the past so you can do it again :hugs: hope you feel better soon :)

kirkatronics
12-03-14, 12:34
The news is full of sensationalised stories to grab attention, so it is understandable you may feel uncomfortable after watching.
I would either try to avoid the news, or just read the news online.

In regards to the Ukraine events, try not to think of the worst case scnarios, as i doubt anything will actually come of it.

Rennie1989
12-03-14, 19:18
As the others have said, stay clear of the news. I'm so fed up with what they focus their attentions on when there are other things more worthwhile of coverage.

daisymaisy
12-03-14, 20:38
Thank you all for your kind, supportive replies. I know it's something I have to sort in my head and it's probably unresolved issues from my childhood that trigger it but at least you've given me a different way of looking at it. Thanks again:hugs: x