PDA

View Full Version : Freeway driving scares me

Hannahpatricia
12-03-14, 01:35
Hello,

I will be commuting to a college next year which will require me to travel 30 miles down the interstate. This poses a problem of course, because I'm terrified of highway driving, especially in high volume traffic. I've had many scary experiences with panic attacks on the freeway, and I avoid long trips on the freeway. It's really affected my life- I constantly say no when my friends ask me to drive them somewhere a little ways away (like for a night out in Boston). I've tried to explain to my friends I have panic attacks, they just don't get it at all.
I don't want this phobia to control my life, I want to be able to attend this college (cannot afford to live on campus so that isn't an option). And I want to be able to take my friends places.

If you can relate to this fear, any advice?

Catherine S
12-03-14, 01:39
Oh..sorry, I'm a little confused now...didn't you post another thread about this? I think I answered that one!

Dying_Swan
13-03-14, 00:30
Hi Hannahpatricia

Yes I have the same problem, and have done for years now. The reason I still have this problem is because I started avoiding motorways (freeways) after a panic attack. The best thing you can do is to go out and tackle it head on. It's very hard, I know.

I've given up with it now and just avoid them but this does make life difficult and I would really recommend you go for it. I did try for a while to deal with it, and there are some things I found helpful. Eating mints or an apple, or drinking water if you feel anxious, having the aircon on, windows down etc. The best thing IMO is to sing! It's the last thing you feel like doing when you're anxious, but it helps to regulate your breathing and to distract you from the anxious thoughts.

It sounds like you are ok with doing short journeys on the freeway? If so, that's great. Just try to make sure you go regularly (this was my downfall) and each time, see if you can go a little bit further. My previous CBT therapist said it took at least 15 exposures for the anxiety to subside.

Recently, out of the blue, I had a massive panic attack at the roundabout of a motorway. It was horrible, and I dreaded having to drive on it again. I can't avoid this roundabout, even if I avoid the motorway. So I've had to drive on it every day and my fear of it went around 2 weeks later. So it does work!

Also, try looking at Nic's story which is about the same thing (Under "personal stories")

Good luck. And Boston is one of my favourite places!

clarisse
13-03-14, 00:38
Is there anyone you could practice driving with ?
Build up the length of the journeys each time.The fear is the only thing holding you back.You can do it if you keep trying.