PDA

View Full Version : I literally cannot take a deep breath...

Orange Lightning
12-03-14, 14:29
...Without clearing my throat first.
Burping makes it worse. So does water and exercise. I can't take my mind off it because my body forces me to try and breath if I do. I can always bring up mucus, but it just clogs my throat again seconds later, faster if I try using Gavisvon Advance. I'm seriously worried about collapsing here, where is all this mucus coming from? I don't have a cold or anything. :(

HoneyLove
12-03-14, 14:42
Have you talked to your doctor about having trouble breathing?

Orange Lightning
12-03-14, 14:51
Have you talked to your doctor about having trouble breathing?

Yeah, it's been labelled anxiety of course, but it only happens when I get choked up with mucus, not when I simply worry or think about it. I tried a Catarrh pastille, which has helped a little, but I'm worried about what this is, especially since medicine works on it..!

cut_out_stars
12-03-14, 15:02
Could it be allergies? I get a lot of catarrh when I have milk products (It's so gross I know!)

HoneyLove
12-03-14, 15:04
You don't have to be feeling anxious or worried at the same time as a symptom for it to be labelled anxiety. The effects of stress hormones can have a long lasting effect on our bodies and health, so you may feel symptoms even when you're not particularly worried. High levels of stress will also make you more prone to illness, so indirectly high anxiety levels can also make you unwell.

If you're having a lot of mucus, then follow your doctor's instructions for getting rid of it, and working on your anxiety levels at the same time may help you out.

Mucus comes from irritated cells in your nose, throat and lungs. They can be irritated for many reasons, acid reflux being one and I know you've had issues with that. Different medicines can help those cells to stop producing so much, or they can target the source of the irritation such as using gaviscon to calm your reflux.

Orange Lightning
12-03-14, 15:05
Could it be allergies? I get a lot of catarrh when I have milk products (It's so gross I know!)

Sadly no, I haven't developed any new allergies either. It has become worse since reducing/stopping Mirtazapine if that helps.

cut_out_stars
12-03-14, 15:11
Ahh, I don't have any experience with Mirtazapine myself, I'm sure if your doctor was worried they would have ordered tests? It's really hard I know when it seems like issues are getting brushed off as anxiety. If your doctor doesn't seem concerned, then I would try not to be either :)

If the catarrh pastilles are working for you I'd stick with them, it might clear it up completely if you keep them up?